Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension, need some advice ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 PM
bubbleteaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Suspension, need some advice ...

Hi , i wanted to lower my car. I put Tein S tech springs on them but they didnt lower the car as much as i wanted them too. Now that i have enough money i was thinking about these brands.

KSPORT Coilovers
D2 Coilovers
Or Eibach 4.6463 Springs.

I don't go to the track, i do not corner or anything or drift, i just want it to sit and look pretty. I'd love some advice, thank you so much i love you all
Old 11-05-2015, 09:27 PM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the same problem, threw in some Espelir springs that dropped about 1". It looked like the perfect drop at first but now I want more low

I would consider BC coils if you're on a budget, or Stance GR+ if you're willing to invest more.
The following users liked this post:
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 PM
bubbleteaZ

Originally Posted by dSpaceman
I have the same problem, threw in some Espelir springs that dropped about 1". It looked like the perfect drop at first but now I want more low

I would consider BC coils if you're on a budget, or Stance GR+ if you're willing to invest more.
These are how the eibachs springs are, i think i might go with them since im sitll in college and i do not want to spend 1k on coilovers. they sit perfectly for me honestly
Attached Thumbnails Suspension, need some advice ...-2619_eibach_sportline_lowering_springs_nissan_350z.jpg  
Old 11-05-2015, 10:24 PM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm in the exact same situation. I regret choosing springs over coils but I'm standing by my decision mainly cause I don't want to reinvest another grand for coils plus supporting components i.e. camber arms.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

BubbleTea's back. Cool, welcome back.

Just a word of advice to you and anyone wanting "need more low". The more you drop the car, the more chance you're going to incur unwanted alignment changes (mostly camber) and will need to add adjustable control arms and/or camber and toe adjusters out back. That will easily set you back a grand for parts and labor.

It's not just the cost of coilovers and/or severe lowering springs. And, BTW, GOOD coilovers will set you back much more than a $1000. Lots of cheap junk for under that but truly a case of "Pay now or pay later, Either way you're gonna pay."

What I'm trying to say politely, "Do it right the first time". In your case, go with a set of Eibach Sportlines - will lower the car a bit over an inch. and hope you don't need to correct your camber. If you do have to, at least you didn't spend a grand+ on a set of unneeded coilovers.

Mic
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 03:13 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
BubbleTea's back. Cool, welcome back.

Just a word of advice to you and anyone wanting "need more low". The more you drop the car, the more chance you're going to incur unwanted alignment changes (mostly camber) and will need to add adjustable control arms and/or camber and toe adjusters out back. That will easily set you back a grand for parts and labor.

It's not just the cost of coilovers and/or severe lowering springs. And, BTW, GOOD coilovers will set you back much more than a $1000. Lots of cheap junk for under that but truly a case of "Pay now or pay later, Either way you're gonna pay."

What I'm trying to say politely, "Do it right the first time". In your case, go with a set of Eibach Sportlines - will lower the car a bit over an inch. and hope you don't need to correct your camber. If you do have to, at least you didn't spend a grand+ on a set of unneeded coilovers.

Mic

So to cliff note that up what your saying is.

If you have champagne taste and a beer budget you should leave well enough alone?

bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 03:37 AM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I think Mic said to go ahead and drink the beer- ...just hope you don't get drunk.
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 04:50 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
So to cliff note that up what your saying is.

If you have champagne taste and a beer budget you should leave well enough alone?

Originally Posted by n0smoke
I think Mic said to go ahead and drink the beer- ...just hope you don't get drunk.
^^^

"Don't bother with sparkling wine unless it's real champagne... instead, try the Eibach ale, a very fine artisan microbrew."
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
35th4me (11-06-2015), bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 05:05 AM
cmu99cv2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love to go lower as well, sadly when you live in a state that doesn't care too much about the roads and businesses that like to put enough speed bumps in their parking lot to make your head shake for the next week, scraping and people being pissed off while waiting for you to get over a speed bump is common. In my opinion, the car looks better the lower you go (to a certain extent, not talking about low enough to need bags or not being able to stick a coin under the car), but like MicVelo said there is issues you run into sooner or later. I chose to go with Tanabe springs, lowers it around an 1 1/2in and I don't have any problems at all besides the speed bumps like everyone else who lowers their car.
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 05:18 AM
AffyliatedZ

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Check out Fortune Auto 500 Series coilovers. About to place an order over the weekend for myself.
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 05:26 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

if you are not tracking the car, i would opt for springs. eibach prokit will get you about an inch drop, the sportlines will get you 1.2
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 AM
Noor93y

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id say look at Eibach sportline springs. Ive got the prokit and im plenty happy but i wish id gone with the sportlines.
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 06:53 AM
AffyliatedZ

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo

Mic
Mic - but shouldn't he also consider how quickly his OEM shocks will wear? It would probably be another $800-$1000 on top of the springs. Seems like either way, he's going to be spending the money later down the road...

However, some people lower their car on springs and don't even realize their shocks are blown
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 07:26 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Yes his shocks are probably already trash and should be replaced. New springs and shocks are what he needs and a spring and shock combo will be better than the China garbage coilovers he mentioned. Coilovers consist of two things, a spring and shock but kids thing the term coilover is magic or something and buying sub par versions will still make the car handle better.

Btw how is this general discussion? We may have a Brakes and Suspension section for a reason
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:35 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Yes his shocks are probably already trash and should be replaced. New springs and shocks are what he needs and a spring and shock combo will be better than the China garbage coilovers he mentioned. Coilovers consist of two things, a spring and shock but kids thing the term coilover is magic or something and buying sub par versions will still make the car handle better.

Btw how is this general discussion? We may have a Brakes and Suspension section for a reason
Because generally nobody pays attention to those details.
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by AffyliatedZ
Mic - but shouldn't he also consider how quickly his OEM shocks will wear? It would probably be another $800-$1000 on top of the springs. Seems like either way, he's going to be spending the money later down the road...

However, some people lower their car on springs and don't even realize their shocks are blown
Originally Posted by terrasmak

All too true. But given OP's original comment about it being all look - no track, drift, etc - I'd just go with the springs to save the rest of the money for books and stuff (remembering Bubble's a student). Let the stock shocks run until they blow. Upon graduation, he can buy some 'Steins or whatever to match the springs.

Or, as an alternative and keeping to my suggestion of "doing it right the first time", he might consider a set of relatively inexpensive name brand shocks, Tokico Blues ($500/set) or KYB GR2's (~$300/set), the latter being OE replacement grade. Better than the stock stuff anyhow. Total investment before alignment correction sub-$grand.

Someone wanna move this to the right section? Heh heh.

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-06-2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: speling errur
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Sleepiedaze

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

cut the springs. college budget and car mods do not mix well. cut springs. get low and be prepared to replace oil pans.
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 10:58 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Honestly, this is my personal opinion, if youre gonna do it, do it once and do it right. Dont cut corners.

With that said, if its all for looks, shock and springs at the same time, to same money and trouble, and just call it a day. If its for looks+performance, just ride stock until you can save up for the proper gears.

I dont get why its so hard for people to save for quality parts... i drove a busted beaters for YEARS until i got my house then i proceeded to buy cars. Priority people. Patience is a virtue.
bubbleteaZ (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 11:13 AM
bubbleteaZ

Smile :)

Thank you all, I appreciate it! It looks like I'm going with the eibach springs and hoping for the best.ill drink the beer and hopefully I don't get drunk. Pictures will come soon . Love you all -BubbleteaZ
Old 11-06-2015, 11:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbleteaZ
Thank you all, I appreciate it! It looks like I'm going with the eibach springs and hoping for the best.ill drink the beer and hopefully I don't get drunk. Pictures will come soon . Love you all -BubbleteaZ
here was mine on pro-kits

Quick Reply: Suspension, need some advice ...