Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Deal or No Deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Asian Invasian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal or No Deal

Well it finally hapened, and i am getting ready to go get my 350z tommorow. I want to know how you all would handly this and how you would go about buying this car. The listing is here:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

From there, how much should i try to go down on it, and how would you bargain with your actions?

I need some feedback because i am trying to get the best possible deal on this. I am leaving tommorow and feedback would be really appreciated.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Fluid1

Walk in and hand them a sheet of paper with your name, cell number, and the figure $18,500 written on it. Tell them that you are interested in the Black Z and ask them to kindly return your call the next business day.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:33 PM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Asian Invasian
From there, how much should i try to go down on it, and how would you bargain with your actions?

sorry i couldnt resist
Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Fluid1

Old 03-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by LAKERSFAN

sorry i couldnt resist
:P

ok back to the topic, is it a good deal, and how much should i try to get them to go down.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Use teeth
Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
Use teeth

Old 03-30-2007, 04:52 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Walk in and hand them a sheet of paper with your name, cell number, and the figure $18,500 written on it. Tell them that you are interested in the Black Z and ask them to kindly return your call the next business day.
I agree, but with a minor variation. Just say “I will give you $18,500 for this car today. Will cash be OK.”

Money talks. Bull poop walks.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by davidv
I agree, but with a minor variation. Just say “I will give you $18,500 for this car today. Will cash be OK.”

Easy to say if i had $18,500, but i dont.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:07 PM
kaizenro1

take ur teeth out
Old 03-30-2007, 05:09 PM
davidv

Easy to say if i had $18,500, but i dont.
I believe that shopping for a car and a loan from the seller puts the buyer at a disadvantage.

Can you possibly pre-arrange a loan with your credit union?
Old 03-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Asian Invasian

I believe that shopping for a car and a loan from the seller puts the buyer at a disadvantage.

Can you possibly pre-arrange a loan with your credit union?
That does sound like a good idea. How much would i arrange though? I have the appointment to see the car tom at 3 pm, i dont know if it would work in time.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:16 PM
derekinthez

Default My Approach

Well it finally hapened, and i am getting ready to go get my 350z tommorow. I want to know how you all would handly this and how you would go about buying this car. The listing is here:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

I need some feedback because i am trying to get the best possible deal on this. I am leaving tommorow and feedback would be really appreciated.
I arrive at dealer--never go to the car you actually want, just explain that you are looking for a car--any car. Once you have a salespersons attention, go from car to car all over the lot--ask as many questions as you can about the car u are viewing (the idea is to waste the salespersons' time and patience). Go on test drives, but not the type or color of the car you want. Start working a deal on one car and then have second thoughts about another car (explaining can you give me a better deal on the second car). By now, you should have wasted 4 hours of his/her time. Now, go back on the lot and look at several cars, then ask questions about the Z--explain you can't afford it, scratch your head and leave (trust me, the car will be there the next day and if its not, it will be somewhere else). Come back the next day and specifically ask for the salesperson who helped you--now burn up some more time, get some coffee, free donuts and make them buy you a hot dog or something (because you've been there a few hrs now and you are going to leave and get something to eat, if the deal can't get done). Assuming you are paying cash or have your own financing, never give a price--make them take off their sales price first (check the sales # on the vehicle, it may give you a clue as to how much they have in it--if it's used--e.g., read the numbers backwards (salesperson knows exactly how much the dealer has in it and knows how much he must charge you to get his commission). Make a counter-offer well below what the car is worth and then work towards the middle---now you have a deal and a Z (do not let them charge you for document fees or prep fees, scotchgaurd or undercoating and ezpecially not floormats--if they try, then no deal).

If you just go in with an offer and your phone number, you won't be buying that car, b/c they have nothing invested in you and they can hold onto it hoping someone else will come in and offer a better price. The idea is to wear them down--the moment you let on to you liking the car and have to have it--you have become emotionally attached to the outcome and your bargaining power will be nil! Every new or used vehicle I have purchased, I have done at prices not one of my friends thought I could (you also need to understand, if you are financing that every dollar saved is like $1.50 in your pocket).

It takes me 2-3 days about 3-4 hrs each day to purchase a vehicle. Takes longer, but I make great deals, thus no buyer's remorse when all is said and done. Always negotiate based on price out the door, including taxes, title, registration, doc fees (and any other crap they throw in). This way u are always dealing with apples and apples. Never, ever negotiate based on payments--never ever never (too many hidden costs)(Never tell them what you can afford to pay per month--keep that info to yourself).

Last edited by derekinthez; 03-30-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by derekinthez
I arrive at dealer--never go to the car you actually want, just explain that you are looking for a car--any car. Once you have a salespersons attention, go from car to car all over the lot--ask as many questions as you can about the car u are viewing (the idea is to waste the salespersons' time and patience). Go on test drives, but not the type or color of the car you want. Start working a deal on one car and then have second thoughts about another car (explaining can you give me a better deal on the second car). By now, you should have wasted 4 hours of his/her time. Now, go back on the lot and look at several cars, then ask questions about the Z--explain you can't afford it, scratch your head and leave (trust me, the car will be there the next day and if its not, it will be somewhere else). Come back the next day and specifically ask for the salesperson who helped you--now burn up some more time, get some coffee, free donuts and make them buy you a hot dog or something (because you've been there a few hrs now and you are going to leave and get something to eat, if the deal can't get done). Assuming you are paying cash or have your own financing, never give a price--make them take off their sales price first (check the sales # on the vehicle, it may give you a clue as to how much they have in it--if it's used--e.g., read the numbers backwards (salesperson knows exactly how much the dealer has in it and knows how much he must charge you to get his commission). Make a counter-offer well below what the car is worth and then work towards the middle---now you have a deal and a Z (do not let them charge you for document fees or prep fees, scotchgaurd or undercoating and ezpecially not floormats--if they try, then no deal).

If you just go in with an offer and your phone number, you won't be buying that car, b/c they have nothing invested in you and they can hold onto it hoping someone else will come in and offer a better price. The idea is to wear them down--the moment you let on to you liking the car and have to have it--you have become emotionally attached to the outcome and your bargaining power will be nil! Every new or used vehicle I have purchased, I have done at prices not one of my friends thought I could (you also need to understand, if you are financing that every dollar saved is like $1.50 in your pocket).

It takes me 2-3 days about 3-4 hrs each day to purchase a vehicle. Takes longer, but I make great deals, thus no buyer's remorse when all is said and done. Always negotiate based on price out the door, including taxes, title, registration, doc fees (and any other crap they throw in). This way u are always dealing with apples and apples. Never, ever negotiate based on payments--never ever never (too many hidden costs)(Never tell them what you can afford to pay per month--keep that info to yourself).
Thanks man this really helped me out, I appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:15 PM
derekinthez

Default Cash

Common misconception--They really don't care if you pay cash from your personal savings account, cash -in-hand or a cashier's check (loaned to you from your bank or check made directly to Nissan). They do have a bottom line (and they are going to make money no matter what you offer). Your job is to get them to that bottom line. More important to start really low, b/c if they take an offer, you have let them take money out of your pocket --whether its $1.00 or $1,000.00 (CLUE: you want it to be $1.00).
Old 03-31-2007, 04:49 AM
Asian Invasian

Someone tell me though, is this a good deal? It seems very good and i want to make sure before i go through with it.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 AM
davidv

Common misconception--They really don't care if you pay cash from your personal savings account, cash -in-hand or a cashier's check (loaned to you from your bank or check made directly to Nissan). They do have a bottom line (and they are going to make money no matter what you offer). Your job is to get them to that bottom line. More important to start really low, b/c if they take an offer, you have let them take money out of your pocket --whether its $1.00 or $1,000.00 (CLUE: you want it to be $1.00).
Cash is just an example. My point is to let the seller know that you are a serious buyer, not just another window shopper.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:47 AM
davidv

Someone tell me though, is this a good deal? It seems very good and i want to make sure before i go through with it.
Is the the model for you?
Is the your color choice?
You have driven the car, and are impressed.
You are willing to spend $18,500 - $19,500.

If yes to these questions, then its a good deal.

Last edited by davidv; 04-01-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Asian Invasian

Well i bought it
Old 04-01-2007, 06:11 AM
Tommy007

I think you're making this incredibly difficult. I do my research, know what a car's value is, and I'm aggresive and direct when dealing with a car dealer. I've never had a problem getting fantastic deals and it doesn't waste 4 days of my life.

Quick Reply: Deal or No Deal