Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Which car should I get...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 PM
RobYost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car should I get...

Hey everyone, before this turns into a G vs Z thread I would like to state I love them both. However, I can only buy one. If you were In my shoes, which car would you get? Please check the links and see which in your opinion is the better deal. Thank you so much!

Z - http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=89691832

G - http://m.infinitichicago.com/auto/pr...coupe/1883867/
Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 PM
superstuddc27

Id buy the Z personally I like the yellow. But they are both really overpriced.
If I was going to spend $14k, I'd buy an e46 m3
Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 PM
RobYost

What I really want is a genesis coupe but it's sadly not a respected car 😕
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Neither is the 350z... it's the new civic, get the G.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

FYI that's not a 35th anniversary Z so don't pay the premium if they try to say it is. Is missing a few key things the 35th's have, a lot of dealers think just because it's an 05 then it's a 35th, not the case.

"To commemorate the 35th anniversary of the début of the Datsun 240Z, Nissan released a tuned version of the 350Z coupé. The 35th Anniversary Z was débuted at the Specialty Equipment Marketing Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas on November 2, followed by its first public appearance at the Miami Auto Show in early November. It went on sale in January 2005.[10]

The 35th Anniversary Edition includes an updated VQ35DE 320 hp (220 kW) V6 engine for the six-speed auto transmission model. Other key 35th Anniversary Z equipment (standard on six-speed automatic-equipped versions) includes unique 18-inch (460 mm) cast aluminium-alloy wheels, front spoilers, Brembo brakes and special Z badging. The car comes in a variety of unique colours "Ultra Yellow" body colours. This Z's interior also was available with a black set configuration. Also included was a Bose 7-speaker premium sound system. Only 500 copies of this collectors' item were released."

Last edited by SR71; 07-19-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 PM
RobYost

Originally Posted by stogey420time
Neither is the 350z... it's the new civic, get the G.
Do you still feel you made the right choice getting the z over any other cars you were considering getting at the time? And true, it's a shame these cars don't get the credit they deserve

Originally Posted by SR71
FYI that's not a 35th anniversary Z so don't pay the premium if they try to say it is. Is missing a few key things the 35th's have, a lot of dealers think just because it's an 05 then it's a 35th, not the case.

To commemorate the 35th anniversary of the début of the Datsun 240Z, Nissan released a tuned version of the 350Z coupé. The 35th Anniversary Z was débuted at the Specialty Equipment Marketing Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas on November 2, followed by its first public appearance at the Miami Auto Show in early November. It went on sale in January 2005.[10]

The 35th Anniversary Edition includes an updated VQ35DE 320 hp (220 kW) V6 engine for the six-speed auto transmission model. Other key 35th Anniversary Z equipment (standard on six-speed automatic-equipped versions) includes unique 18-inch (460 mm) cast aluminium-alloy wheels, front spoilers, Brembo brakes and special Z badging. The car comes in a variety of unique colours "Ultra Yellow" body colours. This Z's interior also was available with a black set configuration. Also included was a Bose 7-speaker premium sound system. Only 500 copies of this collectors' item were released.
Thank you for telling me this I personally am not too familiar with the z. Would you still say that's a reasonable price for a base model?

Last edited by SR71; 07-20-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:43 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

I wouldn't pay more than 10K out the door, if you want an automatic though I'd go with a G35 then. They get away with an auto being OK since they're more of a GT car than a sports car, seems like sacrilege to buy a 350Z in an auto to me.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:03 AM
RobYost

Originally Posted by SR71
I wouldn't pay more than 10K out the door, if you want an automatic though I'd go with a G35 then. They get away with an auto being OK since they're more of a GT car than a sports car, seems like sacrilege to buy a 350Z in an auto to me.
Oh okay, and I know know I want to get a manual for either cars but parents don't want to learn manual which is understandable I suppose. If I could get a manual, would you then recommend me getting a 350z, or just stick with a manual g35?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RobYost
Do you still feel you made the right choice getting the z over any other cars you were considering getting at the time? And true, it's a shame these cars don't get the credit they deserve
Yes! I bought my Z new seven years ago, still no regrets.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't think that is a Base model. It appears to be a Touring model.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:13 AM
RobYost

Originally Posted by stogey420time
Yes! I bought my Z new seven years ago, still no regrets.
Okay, is it hard to learn manual on it? And do these last as long as g35's? Sorry for all the questions haha

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I don't think that is a Base model. It appears to be a Touring model.
Oh okay sorry I don't know much about Z's, is the main difference in a touring the leather seats? And I think it has a gps but I'm not too sure

Last edited by SR71; 07-20-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: merged
Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 PM
MonkeyMagic72

Personally, I like the styling of the G37 better than the G35, and I like the 350Z styling better than the 370Z, but don't want to pay for premium on a car. So, I end up bought a brand new 07 350Z HR back in summer of 2007 and never, ever have a single thought of regrets, but joys and happiness.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I totally agree with SR71 regarding the specs of the GT4 of which this isn't, making it overpriced. If you've made your mind up on getting a Z, just make sure it has a manual box, you'll enjoy it so much more.
Can't comment on the G as I've never been a fan of them and as a result my opinion would be biased.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 AM
Doggman9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking at Z's, G's and GenCoupes before I got my 350Z 6MT. I test drove a 07 base Z 6mt, an '11 2.0T Track GenCoupe 6mt, an 03 automatic G, and my 06 Touring Z 6mt.

Personally, I was adamant on getting a manual transmission. With that said, I didn't like the G35 at all. The GenCoupe was really nice to be honest. Very smooth in a lot of ways but it wasn't nearly as sporty as the 350Z. I wanted the 07 Base but it sold out from under me. In retrospect this was good because the Base doesn't have an LSD. The touring 6mt was the jackpot and in retrospect I don't think I'd be as happy unless I could have gotten a Nismo. That's me though.

If you want an automatic and you like luxury more than sport, definitely shoot for a GenCoupe. Who gives a **** if anyone respects your car? Get what you want.

If you want a manual, get a manual Z. You won't regret it. If you can't convince the rents to let you get a manual try saying it'll be safer because you can't multitask (i.e. use cellphone) and drive.. It keeps you more focused and therefore safer. Of course this isn't entirely true but it certainly sounds reasonable.

Last edited by Doggman9; 07-21-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:49 AM
RobYost

Originally Posted by Doggman9
I was looking at Z's, G's and GenCoupes before I got my 350Z 6MT. I test drove a 07 base Z 6mt, an '11 2.0T Track GenCoupe 6mt, an 03 automatic G, and my 06 Touring Z 6mt.

Personally, I was adamant on getting a manual transmission. With that said, I didn't like the G35 at all. The GenCoupe was really nice to be honest. Very smooth in a lot of ways but it wasn't nearly as sporty as the 350Z. I wanted the 07 Base but it sold out from under me. In retrospect this was good because the Base doesn't have an LSD. The touring 6mt was the jackpot and in retrospect I don't think I'd be as happy unless I could have gotten a Nismo. That's me though.

If you want an automatic and you like luxury more than sport, definitely shoot for a GenCoupe. Who gives a **** if anyone respects your car? Get what you want.

If you want a manual, get a manual Z. You won't regret it. If you can't convince the rents to let you get a manual try saying it'll be safer because you can't multitask (i.e. use cellphone) and drive.. It keeps you more focused and therefore safer. Of course this isn't entirely true but it certainly sounds reasonable.
Okay if I end up being allowed to get a manual Z, would it be able to survive Chicago winters? I never owned a sports car so I'm not sure. And oh I would get the genesis coupe In a heartbeat, however it's sadly about 2k over what my parents are willing to spend so because of that, if they insist on getting auto I'll be forced to get a G, which would still be awesome for my age.

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
I totally agree with SR71 regarding the specs of the GT4 of which this isn't, making it overpriced. If you've made your mind up on getting a Z, just make sure it has a manual box, you'll enjoy it so much more.
Can't comment on the G as I've never been a fan of them and as a result my opinion would be biased.
Okay I'll make sure to get a manual if I get a 350z. I'm in Florida for baseball right now and there's so many more options of cars here than where I live I'm quite jealous. But oh, what don't you like about G's?

Last edited by SR71; 07-21-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Learn to multi-quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:31 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Okay if I end up being allowed to get a manual Z, would it be able to survive Chicago winters? I never owned a sports car so I'm not sure. And oh I would get the genesis coupe In a heartbeat, however it's sadly about 2k over what my parents are willing to spend so because of that, if they insist on getting auto I'll be forced to get a G, which would still be awesome for my age.
If you're allowed? How old are you?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Doggman9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure about Winter since I live in Alabama. I hear ya on the GenCoupe.. it was slightly out of my price range as well. If you know that's what you want, I'd get a job, make $2k, and put it with your parents money to get what you want.

I don't think you would be disappointed with an auto G35 though. It'll be a nice car, especially if its your first car but I can't help but think you'd be much happier with a manual GenCoupe, if that's what you want.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 AM
MonkeyMagic72

With you're being so young, getting a manual base 07-08 350Z HR is a wiser idea, because it is decent fast out of the box. 350Z HR responses very well to mods like simple bolt on parts, if doing correctly. NA build and turbo build are way too much money, so you won't be seeing that part of the game any time soon. In the end, make sure you get whatever car you like and enjoy for a long time. Work part time job at McDonald if you have to or eat those Ramen noodle for a year to save money, lol.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM
RobYost

Originally Posted by Doggman9
Not sure about Winter since I live in Alabama. I hear ya on the GenCoupe.. it was slightly out of my price range as well. If you know that's what you want, I'd get a job, make $2k, and put it with your parents money to get what you want.

I don't think you would be disappointed with an auto G35 though. It'll be a nice car, especially if its your first car but I can't help but think you'd be much happier with a manual GenCoupe, if that's what you want.
I do have a job actually, but I'm on a travel team for baseball so I don't get much time to work. There actually is a 2010 red manual gc with 70k miles, my only concern is that the gen coupe wouldn't last nearly as long as a g35/350z would and the g35 that I'm looking at would have leather with nav, and be surrounded by more girls (they like luxury)

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic72
With you're being so young, getting a manual base 07-08 350Z HR is a wiser idea, because it is decent fast out of the box. 350Z HR responses very well to mods like simple bolt on parts, if doing correctly. NA build and turbo build are way too much money, so you won't be seeing that part of the game any time soon. In the end, make sure you get whatever car you like and enjoy for a long time. Work part time job at McDonald if you have to or eat those Ramen noodle for a year to save money, lol.
Yeah if I end up getting a 350, I wouldn't really plan on modding much besides window tints. I feel like I would like the 350 more than a G, but I would get many more compliments from girls In a G.

Originally Posted by Syner
If you're allowed? How old are you?
Just turned 17�� don't hate please I'm not like all the other teenagers who try to go 20 over every street and race in their nissan altimas I'm just looking for a sporty car to enjoy myself in that looks sharp

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic72
I actually haven't found many 07-08's under 15k (price range before tax). There are many 04-05's and the manual one I'm keeping an eye out is actually an 04. Would that still be okay? It's a touring I believe cause it has leather + nav. I was also curious to how long this car can last, because I know g35s can go over 200k easy but I wasn't sure about the Z

Last edited by SR71; 07-21-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Learn to multi-quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM
MonkeyMagic72

Yeah if I end up getting a 350, I wouldn't really plan on modding much besides window tints. I feel like I would like the 350 more than a G, but I would get many more compliments from girls In a G.
Just remember, 350Z is a two seaters sport car and the G35 coupe is a four seaters sport coupe. So, you can only do solo single date in the 350Z, but if you want double dates like most young kids do, you have to get the G35. That is something you also want to consider.

Quick Reply: Which car should I get...