Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Breakin Newz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is sort of normal for oil consumption.... If you use synthetic and change it out every 3,000-3,500miles then you should be fine...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:11 AM
doublins

Originally Posted by Breakin Newz
It is sort of normal for oil consumption.... If you use synthetic and change it out every 3,000-3,500miles then you should be fine...
It is normal that after 1,700 miles and 16 days of driving, that my engine went from the high mark on the dipstick to only having two quarts of oil left?

Or the 2.75 quart loss in the 1,500 miles before that?

Or the 1.75 quart loss in the 1,100 miles before that?

If I went from high to low on the dipstick between oil changes, I would not be complaining. My car, if not checked regularly, would not even MAKE IT to the next oil change, because the engine would seize from lack of oil.

I had an IS300 that I turbo'd the crap out of, AND it had a rear main seal leak and blowby issues. That car lost about a quart per 3,000 miles. This car is only 7 months old and bone stock. Now please try to tell me that that is ok.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Breakin Newz

Originally Posted by doublins
It is normal that after 1,700 miles and 16 days of driving, that my engine went from the high mark on the dipstick to only having two quarts of oil left?

Or the 2.75 quart loss in the 1,500 miles before that?

Or the 1.75 quart loss in the 1,100 miles before that?

If I went from high to low on the dipstick between oil changes, I would not be complaining. My car, if not checked regularly, would not even MAKE IT to the next oil change, because the engine would seize from lack of oil.

I had an IS300 that I turbo'd the crap out of, AND it had a rear main seal leak and blowby issues. That car lost about a quart per 3,000 miles. This car is only 7 months old and bone stock. Now please try to tell me that that is ok.

OK OK, Didn't read on how much you were loosing... My fault...

Did you take it to the dealer?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:53 PM
OMEGA46

question, my Z as is all of your is losing oil, but, even after filling it, and the car is at idle, it TICKS!!! it sound soooo bad, like my car was made by fisher price. do any of yours tick even when it is full of oil for how ever short a time that is?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Breakin Newz

Is it possible that you can get a soundclip of it? Injectors make ticking sound.. You sure you are not hearing that?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM
doublins

Originally Posted by OMEGA46
question, my Z as is all of your is losing oil, but, even after filling it, and the car is at idle, it TICKS!!! it sound soooo bad, like my car was made by fisher price. do any of yours tick even when it is full of oil for how ever short a time that is?
It could be the rather noisy clutch/flywheel assembly our 6MT has. Maybe that's what you're hearing? Does the sound go away if you idle with the clutch pedal pressed in?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:41 PM
doublins

OK OK, Didn't read on how much you were loosing... My fault...

Did you take it to the dealer?
I think you may have overlooked my posts on the previous page, where I posted the contents of my Lemon Law notice. I detailed the 6 times my car has been in to the dealership, and the ongoing runaround I've gotten from the dealership and NNA for an obviously substantial and well-documented problem.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Breakin Newz

I think you may have overlooked my posts on the previous page, where I posted the contents of my Lemon Law notice. I detailed the 6 times my car has been in to the dealership, and the ongoing runaround I've gotten from the dealership and NNA for an obviously substantial and well-documented problem.

Ah man that just plain sucks.. Good luck and I hope you get the best out of it...
Old 06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
OMEGA46

ill try and get a sound clip tomm, and it still making that sound with the clutch in. love this car, and im new to the import side of the fence, and this isnt making me happy.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM
doublins

Ah man that just plain sucks.. Good luck and I hope you get the best out of it...
Thanks for the wishes; I hope things work out as well. It just sucks because there isn't another car I would have wanted to be in anywhere near what I paid for the Z. I love the lines, I love the handling, I love how fun it is to drive, and how gorgeous she looks after I spend the morning washing her. This whole thing has just kinda taken my enthusiasm down a few notches... I don't wash it so much these days, I stopped caring where I park it, etc. etc. It just feels... broken. And the lack of help from nissan has only made things worse. Whereas I would have been happy with a replacement engine previously (one that fixed the problem,) now I just want to wash my hands of this whole thing and look elsewhere.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
antennahead

Thanks for the wishes; I hope things work out as well. It just sucks because there isn't another car I would have wanted to be in anywhere near what I paid for the Z. I love the lines, I love the handling, I love how fun it is to drive, and how gorgeous she looks after I spend the morning washing her. This whole thing has just kinda taken my enthusiasm down a few notches... I don't wash it so much these days, I stopped caring where I park it, etc. etc. It just feels... broken. And the lack of help from nissan has only made things worse. Whereas I would have been happy with a replacement engine previously (one that fixed the problem,) now I just want to wash my hands of this whole thing and look elsewhere.
I agree totally, it's the only vehicle in this price range I want. NNA has tried to call me in reference to my case, I am very busy at work. The rep leaves her first name and no extension. I had to call the first higher level supervisor I spoke to back, and she gave me the extension, and at least called the rep and "said keep trying to reach him". The regional rep makes me feel like they don't really want to help; just hope this goes away and they only replace engines for those that really push the issue until it reaches "buy back". I still find it hard to believe a company the size of Nissan, with their enginneers, can't figure this out. That still makes me believe they know what the problem is and want to avoid a massive cost to the company to correct it, or a massive cost for a fix that involved less horsepower or an emmision standards violation, both of which will get them sued.

John
Old 06-29-2007, 09:43 AM
davids
F U StuLax18

I'm 100% sure I am or am not having consumption problems so I will be going to the dealership this afternoon to begin a consumption test.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 AM
doublins

Originally Posted by davids
I'm 100% sure I am or am not having consumption problems so I will be going to the dealership this afternoon to begin a consumption test.
To figure out if you have an oil burner, all you have to do is check your dipstick regularly (preferably in the morning, so levels will be consistently meaningful) and know how many miles it's been since your last oil change. It will be blaringly obvious if you have one of the real oil-burners. Your dipstick will be bone-dry (no oil level registering on it) within 1500-2000 miles.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:02 PM
MechaGodzilla

Hand built engine from Japan installed today. Hopefully it solves the problem.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:06 PM
zmedic16

NNA wont do jack shiat unless BBB is involved, i just got a call today from an nna personel to tell me my engine is on a boat and should be here mid july.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:27 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

To figure out if you have an oil burner, all you have to do is check your dipstick regularly (preferably in the morning, so levels will be consistently meaningful) and know how many miles it's been since your last oil change. It will be blaringly obvious if you have one of the real oil-burners. Your dipstick will be bone-dry (no oil level registering on it) within 1500-2000 miles.
Well if the dispistic wasn't a POS and impossible to read I might have a way to tell. So I want actual #'s which is why I went in and got one started today.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Nobody's Hero

I am also having oil consumption issues...

My first oil change was at 2500 miles. At 6000 miles my car started making a clicking noise. It was a Friday afternoon and my dealership said they didn't have time to see me that day). I took it to a local mechanic who put in in 3.5 quarts of oil to top me off. Monday morning, I went to the dealership for an oil change and to report the oil consumption issue. Instead of changing the oil they just topped me off with another 3/4 of a quart and told me to come back in 1000 miles.

Now that I know I'm burning oil, I will keep a close eye on it. I have a feeling I'll be back at the dealership showing them a low dipstick reading even before the 1000 miles is up...

I'll be spending my evening reading up on this thread I guess!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM
MechaGodzilla

I would suggest you contact the BBB now vs waiting. I haven't had my new engine long enough to know for sure if the oil consumption issue is gone, however, this engine does not intermittently knock like the other. In addition, that noise that sounded like a lifter is gone.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Nobody's Hero

Originally Posted by reboot
I would suggest you contact the BBB now vs waiting.
I'm not sure what I'd write in a complaint just yet... I think it's fair for the dealership to want to verify the oil consumption before making any offers. The question is what they will offer once they verify the problem. I'm hesitant to even accept a new engine because I'm fairly certain having had the engine replaced will lower the resale value and/or make it harder to sell... If it does have a major defect I'd want to look into getting a significant portion of my money back on the 06 and buying an 07 instead.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:14 PM
HKILP7M8

I got a call today from Nissan, they told me that they have resolved the problem in Japan and are going to be shipping new engines that are modified to not have the oil burning problem. They say that the researchers have been working this out and finally have come with some kind of resolution.
He told me that I should have my new engine in August sometime.

Anybody else receive a similar call?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion