Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
marathonhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan needs to take responsibility

This oil burning issue should not be a problem with all us manuel transmission owners. I think Nissan which it has known about this issue for over a year now, needs to take some accountability of its defect in its engine.

The delays of this fix patch is just not acceptable. The jury is out, and the suction of the downshifting from the engine acts as a vacumn and the oil is sucked out into our exhausts. Don't ask me how we are suppose to get our cars smogged in two years, if oil is being burned into our exhausts.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/qui...&freq=1&time=9

Notice in May of 2006 Nissan hit all time high. Is it a coincidence that their stock keeps sinking lower? I know that I'm losing confidence in the Nissan Motor brand as each day passes by and they don't fix our engines. Anyone remember the reputation of the 280z in the 1980s? They had to change their name from Datsun to Nissan.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a previous nissan owner before the 350z was out, in fact I waited 3 years before buying one, so all the kinks could be worked out, and now we get this oil burning crap!

Hoping to hear a resolution soon from Nissan. Don't leave us hanging Nissan, we are dropping off brand loyalty one by one. Don't let your company become a Ford or GM. Its funny because last year there were rumors that Nissan was going to buy GM. Nissan is already following GM's quality program now with its Altima and 350z engine defects.

I hear Toyota and Honda are coming out with new 350z killers in 2008. Heck, Honda is building lear jets now, why wouldn't I buy a sportscar from them.

Own up to your mistakes Nissan, us owners don't have to screw around with this oil consumption test, we need to make $$$ so we can buy a Ferrari.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 PM
zmedic16

Originally Posted by marathonhunter
This oil burning issue should not be a problem with all us manuel transmission owners. I think Nissan which it has known about this issue for over a year now, needs to take some accountability of its defect in its engine.

The delays of this fix patch is just not acceptable. The jury is out, and the suction of the downshifting from the engine acts as a vacumn and the oil is sucked out into our exhausts. Don't ask me how we are suppose to get our cars smogged in two years, if oil is being burned into our exhausts.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/qui...&freq=1&time=9

Notice in May of 2006 Nissan hit all time high. Is it a coincidence that their stock keeps sinking lower? I know that I'm losing confidence in the Nissan Motor brand as each day passes by and they don't fix our engines. Anyone remember the reputation of the 280z in the 1980s? They had to change their name from Datsun to Nissan.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a previous nissan owner before the 350z was out, in fact I waited 3 years before buying one, so all the kinks could be worked out, and now we get this oil burning crap!

Hoping to hear a resolution soon from Nissan. Don't leave us hanging Nissan, we are dropping off brand loyalty one by one. Don't let your company become a Ford or GM. Its funny because last year there were rumors that Nissan was going to buy GM. Nissan is already following GM's quality program now with its Altima and 350z engine defects.

I hear Toyota and Honda are coming out with new 350z killers in 2008. Heck, Honda is building lear jets now, why wouldn't I buy a sportscar from them.

Own up to your mistakes Nissan, us owners don't have to screw around with this oil consumption test, we need to make $$$ so we can buy a Ferrari.
AMEN.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:12 AM
RBlover69

the new engine is supposed to have revised pistons and rings.THey cant put a none revup in ur car, i was told that there 2 diff CPUS. the revup cpu has the maps and is diff for the exhaust timing etc. If you can see the maganetic manifold so to speak in the front of ur engine then u have a revup. They cannot put previous model engines in ur 06...that would be a lawsuit if anything. And if you can rev to 7k thats a giving also that u have a revup since the stock computers on teh none revups do not rev that high. I just hope the changes are actually stable and give us what we paid for.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:56 AM
doublins

Just to add to this thread, I just had my third oil consumption test, at 10,550 miles. After burning 1 1/2 quarts from 7,500-8,600 miles, then 1 3/4 quarts from 8,600-9,950 miles, I burned 2 3/4 quarts between 9,950 and 10,550. That is nearly HALF of my engine oil capacity in 1,600 miles!

Needless to say, my final repair notice is being crafted as we speak. The BBB and the MD Consumer Protection Hotline have been immeasurably helpful in providing me with everything I need to get the ball rolling.

-Chris
Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
dbasal

Default An Advanced Warning

Just wanted to update all you going through this fun. For the two people (including myself) that filed the Final Repair Attempt paperwork, one of the items offered was an extended warranty on the vehicle up to 100,000 and x number of years (6 or 7, I am not sure what Nissan has).

As of this date, Nissan has never contacted me after the engine install and as of right now, Nissan has no mention on file of an extended warranty on this vehicle. They are supposed to be calling me back.

Even if this engine does function properly, if this issue is not resolved, I will be turning to arbitration as I would not allow them to simply swap out engines and then they went ahead and offered up the warranty when I pressed them for assurance that swapping out the engine would not break anything else.

I'm sure it is just typical Nissan. Hoping the consumer will overlook this part.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:07 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car Is Fixed And Running As It Should

Originally Posted by doublins
Just to add to this thread, I just had my third oil consumption test, at 10,550 miles. After burning 1 1/2 quarts from 7,500-8,600 miles, then 1 3/4 quarts from 8,600-9,950 miles, I burned 2 3/4 quarts between 9,950 and 10,550. That is nearly HALF of my engine oil capacity in 1,600 miles!

Needless to say, my final repair notice is being crafted as we speak. The BBB and the MD Consumer Protection Hotline have been immeasurably helpful in providing me with everything I need to get the ball rolling.

-Chris
I must admit that I didnt drive like a grandma after my new engine. I was so fired up that I just wanted to set the car on fire! I have driven a performanced based 5K on the new motor from Japan and its running sweet. I have not placed it on a dyno, yet, but it appears to have more power. I am not running Mobile 1 (the best oil in the world) because I noticed more oil consumption when I switched with the first motor. All I can say is that there is hope in sight. Not sure about the timing differences with this engine vs. the old. But its alot more steady and consistant throughout the power band, more than the original engine. Not sure about extended warrantee or anything, but I did jump the gun with the BBB. I am happy and sad to admit the car is still indicating full after 4900 miles on the new longblock (had oil changed at 4K) from across the pond!

Good luck all, there is at least some hope in sight. I will continue to update this site.
2005 G35C 6sp Sport Package 300HP Rev-Up, Oil down motor! LOL I love that sig!!

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 06-13-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:28 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
I must admit that I didnt drive like a grandma after my new engine. I was so fired up that I just wanted to set the car on fire! I have driven a performanced based 5K on the new motor from Japan and its running sweet. I have not placed it on a dyno, yet, but it appears to have more power. I am not running Mobile 1 (the best oil in the world) because I noticed more oil consumption when I switched with the first motor. All I can say is that there is hope in sight. Not sure about the timing differences with this engine vs. the old. But its alot more steady and consistant throughout the power band, more than the original engine. Not sure about extended warrantee or anything, but I did jump the gun with the BBB. I am happy and sad to admit the car is still indicating full after 4900 miles on the new longblock (had oil changed at 4K) from across the pond!

Good luck all, there is at least some hope in sight. I will continue to update this site.
2005 G35C 6sp Sport Package 300HP Rev-Up, Oil down motor! LOL I love that sig!!
Do you notice any pinging (spark knock), from 1,500 to 3,000 rpm, at partial throttle?? The reason I ask is because some/many 06 cars knock as well (including mine), and I just wanted to see if it was solved with the new motor. Maybe the timing was the reason why its consuming oil...and IF they changed the timing, it might not knock anymore...but thats a big IF.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Theatrix
Professional

My call came today that the 3rd motor is in and ready for install. This is going to it for me. If it consumes oil than it gets lemonlawed. After reading the two posts above, I am cautiously optimistic about this engine and looking foreward to testing it! Espectially with a new tranny and the nismo clutch/flywheel package. Will keep you updated next week.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Originally Posted by doublins

-Chris
Very similar to my consumption. By 13,000, I was at 1qt in 350 miles. The odd thing is this consumption continued at the same rate with the second engine!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 PM
BlackZero6

Im on my second oil consumption test, keep in mind i already have 4k on my new long block...good ol nissan...i cant wait to get this thing lemoned and get into a 335i coupe
Old 06-14-2007, 06:21 AM
dbasal

Default 2000 mile update

OK. 4000 miles on the new engine and 2000 since starting my own oil consumption check.

At 2000 miles, I am 1/2 qt down.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:23 AM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 500 miles on mine

like it says
Also I haven't heard a thing out of Nissan after they replaced the engine. They were supposed to give me a months car payment and replace my seat foam.
I am not very happy with them and tired of dealing with this!!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 PM
marathonhunter

Default engine pinging

Originally Posted by aren21
Do you notice any pinging (spark knock), from 1,500 to 3,000 rpm, at partial throttle?? The reason I ask is because some/many 06 cars knock as well (including mine), and I just wanted to see if it was solved with the new motor. Maybe the timing was the reason why its consuming oil...and IF they changed the timing, it might not knock anymore...but thats a big IF.
My engine has been pinging since 3000 miles too. It now has 14k. I just took in the dealer today to get it documented. I've tried all different types of gas and it does not stop pinging.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 PM
ZPHILE

Default Nissan testing update - post failing Oil consumption test

Nissan had me do compression testing (Wet & Dry?), leak down testing etc. Well, the result is that my #2 & #4 cyclinders have low compression, these same two cyclinders are having other issues too as compared to spec. The killer is that the engine 'feels' OK to me (what do I know?). Anyway, the dealer spoke to someone at Nissan to get some sort of authorization (they wanted to pull the engine then a there). Nissan's response - 'Have the customer to continue to add oil. A TSB is coming...soon'. Called NNA. Waiting for my 'dealer liasion' to call me back to get a definitive answer.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:05 PM
I1DER

A reminder to everyone concerned with their oil consumption: Don't just rely on the dealer during a consumption test. Check the oil yourself regularly, preferably in the AM after the car has sat all night on a flat surface. Keep your own record too. Write it down.

I just had my 3rd consecutive test done. Their reported dipstick readings were higher on the stick than mine and if anything should have been less as the car hadn't sat as long before they checked.

At about 1/2 quart per 3000 miles it probably won't be an issue. My concern is that most of that came in the last 1300 miles of the test period when I took two long, mountain pass trips. I don't want an engine that needs oil between changes.

As I posted before, my consumption was at about 1 qt. per 2000 miles when car was fairly new and has dropped to where it is now at 24,000 miles. I have no doubt that the consumption IS related to driving conditions and habits, but some engines have been defective enough those things don't matter.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:06 AM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400 miles on new engine 1/4 quart low.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:43 PM
bofa

Wow, guys. Sorry to hear that the new engine is consuming oil. Granted the consumption levels seem to be less, but still consuming. Keep pressing the issue. I dropped my car off Friday and got my check. I'm fat and happy being away from the issue, although I do miss having the car.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:41 PM
4SHIZZIL

Default No Nock

Originally Posted by aren21
I did notice knock in my 2005 (rev-up) motor but not the new one. Man this sucks....My car is fixed yet the thrill is gone. I dont have the same "gitty feeling" I used to have every single time I walked to my car. I still think its a bad ****, but I just dont look at it the same. I have no complaints now about my car/Infiniti/or oil, but the experience has left me torn.

I am running OEM oil

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 06-17-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:50 PM
4SHIZZIL

Default Engine Swap Dates????

Motor was replaced at the begining of MAY I have 4700 miles and not a drop has left the engine. I believe that at first Nissan/Infiniti was replacing the engines with the same exact motors....

Has anyone had the engine replaced after May of this year and still has Oil Consumption issues?

Just curious to see if the motor change date is a factor. My engine was sent from Japan on April 16th or so....2007
Old 06-17-2007, 04:52 PM
4SHIZZIL

Default Im Soooo Jealous!!! Congrats Bofa!!!!

Originally Posted by bofa
Wow, guys. Sorry to hear that the new engine is consuming oil. Granted the consumption levels seem to be less, but still consuming. Keep pressing the issue. I dropped my car off Friday and got my check. I'm fat and happy being away from the issue, although I do miss having the car.

I would be in a CTS-V....I need 4DRs so I can slow down....lol...if that makes since..hehehe.

Will we still see you on the boards? You help alot of us man...thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion