Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Car dies out when starting after pop charger install

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
mango salsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies out when starting after pop charger install

To begin with, I searched already and found nothing. I just installed a pop charger today and initially when I started the car with the hood open it started fine.

But every time I start the car with the hood closed, the car starts up fine, revs go up, then they go down, past idle, then down some more and just shuts off. I found that if i turn the car on and give it a little rev then the car will stay on and not shut off and then everything else is fine.

I'm not sure what's going on here. Am I not getting enough air? (I don't think thats the case since I should be getting more air now) or am I leaning out? Anyone have any experience with this problem or know what to do? thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:36 PM
ni$mo350

Dumb question but I have to ask, did you reconnect the MAF after you were done installing it? It should be a straight forward install. I've done about 8 with no issues like this.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:39 PM
mango salsa

I also took off the neg battery terminal before I started the install as well so the ecu SHOULD be reset. I might try unplugging it over night tonight to see if that'll fix it.

The only other mod I have is an injen exhaust.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:39 PM
mango salsa

Yes, I reconnected the MAF, and I have no check engine light or anything else.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:46 PM
ni$mo350

Originally Posted by mango salsa
Yes, I reconnected the MAF, and I have no check engine light or anything else.
Uninstall it and reinstall the stock intake and see if you're still having the same issue. The install doesn't require anything other than disconnecting from - and the MAF.. That's deff strange. Are you sure the battery is up to snuff?

Last edited by ni$mo350; 11-25-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:25 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pop Charger. Hey I feel likes its 2004 again.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM
diablox1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your maf sensor backwards??
Old 11-25-2009, 03:39 PM
ni$mo350

Originally Posted by diablox1
is your maf sensor backwards??
I was hoping he would've put it in correctly (why I hinted at double checking it)
Old 11-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

^cant be. the screw holes wont align if you put it in backwards and the popcharger wont let you adapt to the maf housing backwards. unless he really fubared the install
Old 11-25-2009, 03:44 PM
ni$mo350

Originally Posted by Cux350z
^cant be. the screw holes wont align if you put it in backwards and the popcharger wont let you adapt to the maf housing backwards. unless he really fubared the install
I'm gonna stick with the op not reconnectig the maf correctly. With all the random stuff I've seen on here over the last few years, this wouldn't be a surprise..
Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by ni$mo350
I'm gonna stick with the op not reconnectig the maf correctly. With all the random stuff I've seen on here over the last few years, this wouldn't be a surprise..
I don't see why he would of had to remove the MAF sensor?? IIRC all you do is unplug the wiring, should be no need to physicaly remove it.

FWIW i've left my MAF sensor unplugged after a pop charger install, and the car started up and idled fine. The only reason i noticed it was unplugged is because shortly afterwards i got a check engine light. Never had any stumbling or stalling issues though as a result of it.

My guess is a vacume hose, or non-related component got unplugged or disconnected accidently in the process.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:32 PM
manbeer

I'm going to guess that the vacuum hose underneath the intake tube isn't connected properly
Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 PM
mango salsa

Originally Posted by davidv
Pop Charger. Hey I feel likes its 2004 again.
Close, but its actually a 2003 that I picked up used a few weeks ago. I checked the MAF and I'm sure its on the right way. Just to make sure I took it off and put it back on real snug and I'm still getting the same thing. I tried starting it a few times and only once did it stay on, but just baaarely and it hung in there. The other times it just shut off again.

I disconnected the negative battery terminal again and held down the brakes so any charge left in the system would be gone. I'll check it again in a few hours when I go to Bev Mo to buy some Eye of the Hawk.

If it still doesn't work then I'll go ahead and try reinstalling the oem air box again and try that out tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the advice so far guys. I was afraid I was going to be flamed to hell and get smart *** replies like I've been seeing here on this forum in the short time I've been browsing and trying to get to know my car better.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 PM
F34RL355
Banned

im pretty sure that was a smart *** comment
Old 11-25-2009, 05:32 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Close, but its actually a 2003 that I picked up used a few weeks ago. I checked the MAF and I'm sure its on the right way. Just to make sure I took it off and put it back on real snug and I'm still getting the same thing. I tried starting it a few times and only once did it stay on, but just baaarely and it hung in there. The other times it just shut off again.

I disconnected the negative battery terminal again and held down the brakes so any charge left in the system would be gone. I'll check it again in a few hours when I go to Bev Mo to buy some Eye of the Hawk.

If it still doesn't work then I'll go ahead and try reinstalling the oem air box again and try that out tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the advice so far guys. I was afraid I was going to be flamed to hell and get smart *** replies like I've been seeing here on this forum in the short time I've been browsing and trying to get to know my car better.
No flames here. Components such as the MAF sensor are finicky as hell. Install once and it will not work. Install again and it is fine.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by manbeer
I'm going to guess that the vacuum hose underneath the intake tube isn't connected properly
Ehh, i don't think that would make a big difference. I believe that hose is just a PCV vent hose. And based on how close it is to the filter, it's probably close, if not at normal atmospheric pressure anyways.

If that hose being disconnected did pose a problem, i would probably only do it while driving, or under load.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 PM
halfass872

...I was afraid I was going to be flamed to hell and get smart *** replies like I've been seeing here on this forum in the short time I've been browsing and trying to get to know my car better.
Nah. This sounds like a legit issue. Now if you had said "I searched, and couldn't find anything on this whole forum with information about the grease streaks on my windows". THEN we would have flamed on!!

We eat our own here, so don't take it personaly when it happens. It's just a matter of time!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 PM
mango salsa

Originally Posted by halfass872

We eat our own here, so don't take it personaly when it happens. It's just a matter of time!

Roger that. I just reconnected the battery terminal and took the car out to run some errands, and when I started it up the first time, it worked! But... after going to a few places and starting my car up again, it was doing the same thing.

It seems to only start up fine when the engine has cooled down or is cold. But after running it around a bit, I get the same problem.

I'm going to go ahead and swap out the pop charger and try the oem air box again tomorrow and see if that works. So strange...
Old 11-25-2009, 08:14 PM
halfass872

Roger that. I just reconnected the battery terminal and took the car out to run some errands, and when I started it up the first time, it worked! But... after going to a few places and starting my car up again, it was doing the same thing.

It seems to only start up fine when the engine has cooled down or is cold. But after running it around a bit, I get the same problem.

I'm going to go ahead and swap out the pop charger and try the oem air box again tomorrow and see if that works. So strange...
I honestly think you knocked off a plug or hose under, or around your airbox area when installing. I'd remove the popcharger and your intake pipe and look around really well for anything that's dangling.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 PM
SageZ

Uninstall it, get some good lighting and look around for anything disconnected before you reinstall it carefully, then leave the battery unplugged over night.

Quick Reply: Car dies out when starting after pop charger install