Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Drain Plug washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 01:06 PM
VQ35DES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zimbo
The other advantage of the fumoto valve is that you can get a small sample of oil to send off for evaluation w/o having to drain the whole thing.

Plus, it's easier and less messy.

--Steve
where do you get your oil evaluations?

ok, so basically you dont ever have to replace the washer?

Last edited by VQ35DES; 02-01-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:07 PM
zuddenly

i put on a fumoto valve since my first oil change & its just so convenient... now if I didnt have to unscrew the 15 screws to get to the oil filter, that would be nice...
Old 02-16-2004, 03:19 PM
waldoemerson

Default copper washer

Got mine for 59 cents each and oem oil filter for 5 bucks each at San Rafael Nissan Service Dept. Their parts are pretty cheap.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:08 PM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zuddenly
i put on a fumoto valve since my first oil change & its just so convenient... now if I didnt have to unscrew the 15 screws to get to the oil filter, that would be nice...
I second that. The fumoto valve rocks! So convienent for oil analysis samples. As far as the oil filter. I just unscrew the the one closest to the filter, just enough to pull it down so you have enough room to remove and replace. No way i'm removing 15 screws every 3000 miles!
Old 05-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Farren

Ok, Here we go!
The drain plug washer is there for the sole purpose of sealing the drain plug to the oil pan. Just like the copper washers on your power steering or a/t "banjo" fittings. If you don't believe me just leave it off and see what happens!
If the drain plug is torqued properly each and every time your oil is changed then it will last a long time. Possibly 30,000 miles or more! The problem is that most people have never held a torque wrench or have ever torqued a drain plug to spec. to see what it feels like. They install the drain plug just like they installed the oil filter. They run the drain plug down 'till it bottoms out and then go another 1/4 to 1/2 turn or so which is quite affective at "crushing" the drain plug washer!
As for the guy with the chevy... Chevrolet uses an aluminum drain plug washer with a silicone seal in the center. The most common problem with this setup is that the aluminum does not crush when overtorqued like the copper which results in the threads being pulled from the oil pan and/or the drain plug threads wearing out. The good news is you can probably use the old washer with the new pan and plug!

I personally replace the washers on every oil change because a dollar spent now is cheaper than an engine later!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:15 PM
UsafaRice

Hey Zand02Max, Jeff just gives em to me for free now. I've purchased so many parts there that he doesn't even bother. I think he's got me on speed dial.

The parts manager is a jerk, but again Jeff comes through to talk all about Nismo. He even helped me look up some serial numbers and specs for the heads and VK45 valves. He also said, and I quote, "Someone in town wants us to install the GReddy kit, I'll give you a call when she brings the car in."

Whoa. Anyway, even my old '85 300ZX had one of these washers and it's been through a lot of changes (maybe I should emphasize "old"). The thing eventually gets crushed until it's as sharp as a knife blade. I never knew it was a replaceable part until I read about it on here.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Z33RIE

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
OE Oil Filter, Drain Plug, Crush Washer...

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=261

That's where I got my oil filters & washers from...

Thanks again Jason@Performance!!!

~Rie
Old 05-20-2004, 10:56 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by MannishBoy
Are you guys changing these ever oil change?

I'm sure not. My washer on my GM car lasted nearly 90K miles. I bought one of these Nissan washers to have handy if I need it, but I'm still using my original one after about 4 oil changes.
I'm with Mannish on this one... I have five washers readily available but I look at the washer, think about it for a second, and then proceed with the change without changing it. Guess I'm looking for something visible that would indicate whether to change it or not. I've done numerous oil changes in my lifetime and I only change the washer once every three or four oil changes. That means I will probably put the new one on with the next change...
Old 05-21-2004, 09:08 PM
gra350z

Originally posted by spazpilot
were can you buy this valve, anyone know?

Here ya go!!!

http://www.fumotovalve.com/
Old 06-22-2004, 05:20 AM
jun14scr

anybody know the proper torque specs for the drain plug?

should i just tighten the oil filter by hand ?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:04 AM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by jun14scr
anybody know the proper torque specs for the drain plug?

should i just tighten the oil filter by hand ?
plug is 22-27 lb ft or something like that. the oil filter has a specification, but you can also do the 3/4 turn once it is snug. That works too.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:07 AM
max350

Originally posted by 350Z_Redline
The stock washer is a crush washer and it's purpose is to prevent you from over torqueing the drain plug to the oil pan. I does nothing to keep the oil from leaking out; that's what the oil plug does. It's pefectly fine to reuse; just don't over torque the drain plug. Both my Z and my bike still have the original crush washers after several oil changes with no problems. Our spark plugs also come with crush washers for the same reason.
This is true. My 95 Maxima ran on the original washer until 100k miles. I changed the oil every 3000 to 3500 miles. There was never a drop or hint of a leak. I've never changed the washer on my dad's 98 Maxima either. I've just changed the oil on my Z the 4th time. I'm not going to change the washer unless I have to.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Joe katz

The crush washer at my nissan dealer in Albertville,al is .30 each. Gave me the first one free. I do not understand why a normal copper washer could not be used?