Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Need aftermarket clutch recommendations to pair with Stock Dual Mass Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need aftermarket clutch recommendations to pair with Stock Dual Mass Flywheel

(Aftermarket Clutch Brand Recommendation to replace Stock OEM Clutch)

I've been talking with a few mechanics.. and the latest one said I should go with a JWT Clutch and JWT Flywheel..

However, I can't stand any rattles , jutter, etc.. And I know all flywheels besides the OEM Stock flywheel on this 2008 350Z will cause some level of increased noise/extra noise under load when driving at or below 2000-2500 rpm (which I am in quite often in normal driving).

So I'm going to buy and use a brand new Dual mass OEM Nissan Flywheel for $867..

I just can't figure out the best aftermarket clutch to pair with it?

I have mods, but not FI.. so it doesn't need to be any stronger , really, than OEM. But Aftermarket clutches are more durable and cheaper than the OEM clutch.

So if you were going to put an OEM Flywheel with an aftermarket Clutch in your 2007/2008 350Z, what would you choose for the clutch?

I'd like "roughly" the same pedal pressure (a little more is ok.. but I don't need some Stage 4 700 horsepower clutch/plate )

I'll keep it that simple, as the mechanic is calling me tomorrow and I need to get everything straight in my mind when talking with him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Read on if you don't mind giving more recommendations:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

(Hydraulics - Slave/Master Cylinders, etc)

I will also be replacing the Slave cylinder in this 2008 350Z, and the Master Cylinder (for good measure and because the Slave is toast now).

Is there just one HD Brand for these? If there is more than one,.. Which brand of HD Slave Cylinder would you go for?

Which brand of HD Master Cylinder would you go for?

Since they are cheap,.. stainless steel lines aren't a bad idea -- Are they all the same, or is there a specific brand/company you would recommend? And, can I get the stainless new lines for both the Slave and Master.. or?

Links or names will be a great help!

(Anything else while I'm at it.. )

I've read that replacing the Roller Bearing isn't a bad idea with a better one since it's so cheap:

One I've found: Nismo Roller Bearing Pilot Bushing - 07-08 Nissan 350z - $18

Stainless Steel Clutch Line: Z1 350Z / G35 Stainless Steel Clutch Line

Example: http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2206

Says it keeps the fluid from overheating,.. or having heat issues (which I have.. have had them since I bought this last year when driving it at higher rpms a bit).

Also says helps with Pedal "feel". Point is, another "cheap" part..

Any particular Line you recommend over another?

(Done)

So am I missing anything for basically covering all my bases on parts expensive and inexpensive?

I'm basically just asking for brand advice,.. as I want to try to get the most reliable, same noise as the car currently has, no more, Clutch/tranny type of action.

I've done a ton of homework on this.. so I'm hoping maybe there is one, or a few brands on clutches that stand out as preferred,.. and for the HD Slave/Master cylinders I'm thinking there is only one brand for each?

It is going to be nice to have a car that I love actually not slip at all when I get on it and row through the gears.. and the pedal not start to feel weird after just 30 seconds of over 5k RPM shifting.

Thanks so much if you took the time to read any, or all of this!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:54 PM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock is going to be your best bet. Do the stainless line for sure but if you aren't FI and aren't going with a lightweight flywheel then what's the point of aftermarket? My stock clutch with 95k miles on it and several nitrous runs (300hp at the wheels per the dyno) is still holding strong and it's been sprayed since it was new.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by cashmoney03
Stock is going to be your best bet. Do the stainless line for sure but if you aren't FI and aren't going with a lightweight flywheel then what's the point of aftermarket? My stock clutch with 95k miles on it and several nitrous runs (300hp at the wheels per the dyno) is still holding strong and it's been sprayed since it was new.

Thanks for replying cashmoney..

The only reason I'm not going stock on the Clutch is simple.. Aftermarket is $400 and stock clutch is $600.

If there is otherwise no difference in a light (non heavy ) stage 1 aftermarket clutch.. I think it's smart to save the $200 and go with an aftermarket stage 1 clutch to pair with my stock flywheel.

Maybe if you guys don't have any specific names.. what about just brands that I can feel confident are always going to deliver good solid product.

Stainless lines -- Check, thanks for the affirmation on that.

I have a max of $2600 to spend (which includes labor) .. this should be enough to get OEM flywheel, a good aftermarket (stage 1 ish) clutch,.. heavy duty master and slave cylinders, and the stainless lines -- plus the $600 in labor (give or take $150).
Old 12-26-2014, 04:33 PM
cashmoney03

Southbend hands down. Been great clutches in the hot rod diesel world and they are second to none in customer service.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by cashmoney03
Southbend hands down. Been great clutches in the hot rod diesel world and they are second to none in customer service.
Really? Southbend over JWT for the clutch?

I haven't read that recommendation before -- But I've been talking to someone that has all the parts I'm looking for and they sell the southbend products.

Interesting.. thank you!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:41 PM
cashmoney03

Nothing against JWT. Just my experience with Southbend.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Arsenal350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im personally using an Exedy OEM clutch and had my OEM flywheel resurfaced for 40 bucks. Works like a charm. Everyone says that youre not supposed to resurface them and the shop wont guarantee them but Ive not had a problem.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:34 AM
sfhshockey77

Originally Posted by Arsenal350
Im personally using an Exedy OEM clutch and had my OEM flywheel resurfaced for 40 bucks. Works like a charm. Everyone says that youre not supposed to resurface them and the shop wont guarantee them but Ive not had a problem.
I have an exedy stage one clutch and it's worked great for me
Old 12-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by Arsenal350

Oh I know you can resurface them.. And I've heard nothing but you can't.. except the few places on the forums where someone has gotten a guy somewhere at a machine shop who was able to hold it still to cut it.. It's like turning rotors.. only hard part is keeping both sides from moving to have precision smooth surfaces.

I think some creative machine shop guys can figure it out in 30 minutes and probably doesn't take very long,.. and bam.. $50 later you have a new flywheel.

Well technically whatever mileage you had on it still applies as the internals of the dual mass flywheels do wear out.. but they'll last a long time.. (2 clutches for sure).

I just ordered all that crap I listed.. it's on it's way, the slave and master have arrived.

I am going to get my flywheel and take it home with me from the mechanic.. and I"m sure it's fine, maybe have it resurfaced somewhere (as I can drop it off anywhere and search) -- then sell it on here or wherever for like $300 or something.. I'd jump all over a resurfaced 30k mile OEM dual mass flywheel for sale personally.

Awesome you found a guy to do it for $40.. that's a normal clutch job there.. resurface,.. clutch/pressure plate is relatively cheap.. replace slave (hopefully).. and pretty much it.

Did you replace the slave? (Is your car a 2007, 2008 or 2009 350? Or a DE?)
Old 01-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Arsenal350

I have an 03 DE and only did it because Id broken the clutch fork pivot ball and didn't want to take the tranny down just to replace a $5 part. Lol
Old 01-08-2015, 03:32 PM
imadrid

Just throwing this out there, I bought a clutch from here for like 350 last year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-NISSAN-CLUTCH-DISC-KIT-PRESSURE-PLATE-350Z-G35-2003-2005-BRAND-NEW-/161194505925?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A350Z&hash=item2587f0f6c5&vxp=mtr