Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How much will clutch pedal change after this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much will clutch pedal change after this?

I've decided on all parts and lined up the mechanic for my clutch job with oem flywheel, jwt clutch, HD slave, HD master, SS line, and nismo bearing.

The parts exactly that "may" effect clutch pedal stiffness are:

1) JWT Heavy Duty Clutch Kit .. Item# L3507-NCHR0-z33

1a) IPP Stainless Steel Clutch Line 07-08: NC-312- z33

2) HD Slave Cylinder (Zspeed)

3) HD Master Cylinder (Wilwood)

I don't mind a little stiffer pedal,.. but I went with conservative clutch in the JWT Clutch kit.. shown here:

http://www.importpartspro.com/jwtheduclkit2.html

Says stock pedal feel.

The Zspeed HD Slave, and Wilwood HD Master I don't know how will effect pedal.

And I've been told even the Stainless Steel line will change pedal feel over stock rubber.

Since I've decided on everything,.. I'm just curious what to expect in pedal stiffness and feel over an OEM setup I have now that has hydraulic failure.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:44 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Get an RJM adjustable clutch pivot kit and you can adjust the feel to your preference.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
Get an RJM adjustable clutch pivot kit and you can adjust the feel to your preference.
Thanks. I've discussed this with the designer a few months back. I think this will be a marked improvement in pedal feel (in so much as the pressure and engagement) and moreover the pedal won't change it's feel as the stocker with failing CSC and master has been when driving aggressively.

I think I'm one of the few who actually am going with the most expensive flywheel (brand new) , the stock dual mass, with the rest aftermarket components of higher quality.

I've read and heard in person the regrets of people who either did not expect any additional noise (under load, not just the normal idle noise) with light weight flywheel setups (especially the ones that claim to have zero noise over stock) of not just going with the stock flywheel.

Some people drive around in the 2,000-2,500 RPM range at speed because these 6 speeds have a ton of horsepower and it's not "hurting" the engine to cruise at 2400 RPM at 50+ mph in 5th or 6th gear.

I've been told by some that if you don't keep it at 3,000 RPM's or higher the whole time you are driving (normally on the street) then you are driving the manual wrong. I disagree with that. Yes, that would help eliminate light flywheel noise under load.. but shouldn't be necessary.

I see the Z as a nice car as well as a performance car, and some people like to have the transmission sound relatively quiet in gear at any speed/rpm, ... and others definitely put performance with a light weight flywheel way above any lingering noise they get from idle to 2500ish RPM when taking off in first gear, and in each gear until they reach a high enough RPM to eliminate that chatter/judder type noise.

Some combinations will be quieter than others.. combine that with louder exhaust and the "radio" turned up and it's mostly unnoticed inside the car.

Take care,