Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2006 Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 05:52 PM
FJJeremy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Clutch Issues

ok, please be easy on me. I have had my Z for a year and a half and still very much a n00b. I searched for a bit and only found out about 2007 issues...

March 2015 I bought my Z with 69k on the clock from a Honda dealer. I wasn't looking for a 350z but I saw this car and fell in love. Less than two weeks later the clutch is sticking on the floor and I have to pull it back up with my foot. Took it to my friend who is a mechanic and they replaced the master and slave cylinder and the car felt pretty good.

Less than a week later the clutch completely went out. I hobbled it to the dealer I bought it from. I should have gone to the dealer with the first issue, but I know clutch issues generally aren't included in these types of issues on a used car. Well I was pissed off this time and wanted it fixed so I put b1tched and complained and we agreed that I would pay $500 OTD and they'd put a new clutch in. $500 was a decent deal for now as even if this whole ordeal happened later down the road I would be spending much more money, so I took the deal.

It's been a year and a half and this clutch is on it's way out- they probably found the cheapest ebay clutch to install. The friction point is ten feet long after a couple minutes of driving.

As of recently I learned of an aftermarket fix for the master cylinder. I would like to add this when I replace the clutch this time around. Can anyone point me to that product? Yes, I have searched but I don't know exactly what I am searching for. Also, I'd like to add a turbo or S/C down the road so I would like to purchase a stronger clutch right now. What's a reasonable clutch for daily driving that can handle extra horsepower?

Thanks in advance. I expect some flaming... I am a keyboard commando elsewhere
Old 07-09-2016, 11:25 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

If the clutch isn't slipping, there really shouldn't be any reason to replace it. As for the hydraulics, perhaps the system isn't bled properly, and/or it isn't adjusted properly. Neither is hard to do, but it seems like a lot of people have problems getting it right. You might want to read through that section of the service manual a few times, and give it a shot yourself.

Maybe you're thinking of the RJM adjustable clutch pedal, which I've had for several years in my '08. and I have to tell you, it's one of my favorite mods/updates to my Z:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine/6107...-for-350z.html

I should add, that while the RJM pedal cures a lot of ills with the Z's original clutch system, of you don't get your hydraulics (if that's the problem) fixed first, it won't help you.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...P3003-DEHR.htm

This is another popular kit. My 03 still have original hardware, rebuilt it one just because, but never had issues. My 05 has the pedal sticking to the floor problem, simple fix
Old 07-11-2016, 04:16 AM
FJJeremy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll be looking into that