Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dripping coolant, I know where but what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:13 AM
Zergfest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dripping coolant, I know where but what is it?

Hi.

So, since last november I've been doing a project to my Z that includes disassembling the whole engine. This is a story for another time.

A question... I have been doing some "first starts" to the engine and it runs. Not fine, but runs. After applying some UpRev I'm expecting it to run fine.

Yesterday was the first time I let it run over 20sec (had no coolant before). Applied coolant and started it up looking for leaks.

Found a leak from block just above oil filter. There is a spot that looks like something you would mount your A/C compressor or equivalent on.

But the engine is built and I cannot find anything to be missing from it, it works "fine". Well runs like **** but it runs.

So, is this something that can be ment to be "empty" and is for right hand drive conversion of the car? Dont have a picture about it sadly. So I should just put a bolt in it? Is there other spots like this?

Thanks.

-Zerg

EDIT: **** quality clip from yesterday with the car running. Filmed with phone.

Last edited by Zergfest; 07-18-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:06 PM
maxpusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not too sure where the coolant leak is coming from but sounds like your valves are ticking. Did you take the timing cover off by any chance? Seems like the timing may be off. Good luck with getting your car running right.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 AM
Zergfest

Originally Posted by maxpusher
Not too sure where the coolant leak is coming from but sounds like your valves are ticking. Did you take the timing cover off by any chance? Seems like the timing may be off. Good luck with getting your car running right.
I think I figured out the coolant leak, apparently there is a bolt above oil filter that has no other function but to drain coolant. So need to find that somewhere..

Regarding Valve timing cover, yes I removed it and changed timing chain. Cams as well. But the timing is right, its quite impossible to get it wrong since there are marks on the chain as well as on the cams & crank.

Cams are brand new with somewhat different profile than OEM, so I'm putting the noise to that and lack of oil up at valves since it takes a moment for pump to swing oil up there. At the video the engine had been on for about 1min.

At the picture you can see new chain with the markings on cams, which do not meet. This caused me a lot of headdache until I figured that once the timing is right, the markings dont meet every round but like once every 25 rounds or something.
Attached Thumbnails Dripping coolant, I know where but what is it?-jakop-.png  

Last edited by Zergfest; 07-21-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Its alot easier than you would think for it to jump timing.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Zergfest

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Its alot easier than you would think for it to jump timing.
I really dont think this is the case. However now Im paranoid.

So the leakage seems to come from one of the holes shown in picture, and the bolt im missing, which is on its own (instead of actually bolting in anything) is missing. Didnt find it anywhere.

Anyone happen to know the size of this?

Pictures from a fellow Z enthusiast.
Attached Thumbnails Dripping coolant, I know where but what is it?-img-20160719-wa0000.jpg   Dripping coolant, I know where but what is it?-img-20160719-wa0001.jpg  
Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Zergfest
I really dont think this is the case. However now Im paranoid.

So the leakage seems to come from one of the holes shown in picture, and the bolt im missing, which is on its own (instead of actually bolting in anything) is missing. Didnt find it anywhere.

Anyone happen to know the size of this?

Pictures from a fellow Z enthusiast.
Put the smallest open end wrench that fits on the thread. It's metric and course thread, mb 1.0 pitch. That will get you close, gl.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:36 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

The FSM will show you where the block coolant drain plugs are. Nissan also says to use thread sealant/rtv depending on the coolant drain plugs.