Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side splitter options

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Side splitter options

I searched and did not find, so now I ask. I am thinking of attaching some sort of side-splitter under my stock side skirts and considering my options. I have ruled out Varis and Chargepseed....too aggressive for my setup. Don't like the way the Strosek sides do not go the full length of the side skirt, so they are out. Looking more for a flat piece that runs the full length of the side skirt.

I googled and came across this picture of Zerostyle's (RIP) Z, and he explained in the thread that these side splitters were actually 2011 mustang Roush sides, trimmed down to fit his Z. I see that they can be purchased new for $162 so it's an appealing option.

Does anyone happen to have more pictures of his setup? I looked but was unable to find them. Looks like they deflect downward at the rear which is why I'm curious to see some better pics.

For the price, it would be a relatively low-risk DIY to buy a set and modify them to fit the Z. Hell, I'd even try wrapping them in carbon for that price.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I think it looks great. Especially for the price!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These skirts in CF are available from Shine.
They are Spec-S skirts.
I have e'm on my car.They bolt on using the OEM fasteners
for the stock skirts.
Check them out in my veh pics.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 AM
stevehl

theres another company that makes sides similar to those for a z, forget what its called tho
Old 09-13-2012, 08:33 AM
stevehl

^^funny, i went on shine but they didnt have pics so I assumed I was wrong. Its not a bad price at 200, without shipping tho
Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 AM
TPete19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When mounted on a Stang, those splitters are perfectly straight. They are made of plastic, so they're flexible, but with the bottom of our Z's sideskirts being flat, I'm not sure why zero's seem to curve on the ends.

I have CF side splitters, but I can't speak to retail price as I picked them up used. These are from Downforce USA if you want to look into them.

Name:  256288_10151984717500029_850744020_o.jpg
Views: 6209
Size:  50.7 KB
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by JCITY
These skirts in CF are available from Shine.
They are Spec-S skirts.
I have e'm on my car.They bolt on using the OEM fasteners
for the stock skirts.
Check them out in my veh pics.
The Spec-S are replicas of the Strosek sides, I believe. I almost bought them, but ultimately wanted something flat that runs the full length of the skirt, as opposed to the Strosek/Spec-S which are round and do not go the full length. IT's a shame, though, because I'll bet the fitment for you was spot-on.

Originally Posted by TPete19
When mounted on a Stang, those splitters are perfectly straight. They are made of plastic, so they're flexible, but with the bottom of our Z's sideskirts being flat, I'm not sure why zero's seem to curve on the ends.

I have CF side splitters, but I can't speak to retail price as I picked them up used. These are from Downforce USA if you want to look into them.

The only thing I can figure on the Z is that the bottom of the side skirt does bulge out just a bit on the bottom, front and rear, and it could result in the curvature seen in Zerostyle's picture.

I got a quote from Downforce....they want $550 for the carbon fiber ones. That's above my threshold for the time being. But they also were not able to answer my questions regarding mounting, which hopefully you can:
Do the pieces curve up underneath the side skirt, providing a "flange" that can sit flat against the bottom of the stock side skirt? And are you able to use your stock jack, or does it come into contact with the splitter?

Yours looks great BTW. In fact it's exactly what I'm going for - already have the 06 front end with Mine's CF lip, and currently running VeilSide CF side wings but want something simpler.

Thanks in advance for any input on my two questions..
Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Bmurray350z

When time comes to part with the VS wings, I'm first in line
Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
When time comes to part with the VS wings, I'm first in line
I'll let you know man. Did you happen to see my previous FS thread from a couple months back? They are not in perfect condition....a few defects here and there. But you've seen the pictures with them mounted up....still look great to me!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Bmurray350z

Originally Posted by sry110
I'll let you know man. Did you happen to see my previous FS thread from a couple months back? They are not in perfect condition....a few defects here and there. But you've seen the pictures with them mounted up....still look great to me!
yeah i remember seeing the thread after you had edited it and "decided to keep the underwings" lol. but yeah they looks great on the car, plus i just know you'll give me an outstanding price
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM
TPete19

The only thing I can figure on the Z is that the bottom of the side skirt does bulge out just a bit on the bottom, front and rear, and it could result in the curvature seen in Zerostyle's picture.

I got a quote from Downforce....they want $550 for the carbon fiber ones. That's above my threshold for the time being. But they also were not able to answer my questions regarding mounting, which hopefully you can:
Do the pieces curve up underneath the side skirt, providing a "flange" that can sit flat against the bottom of the stock side skirt? And are you able to use your stock jack, or does it come into contact with the splitter?
Yes, these are form fit to the bottom of our sideskirts so the stock jack works like normal. They are pre-drilled to use every factory bolt, so they are as close to an OEM fit/finish as any aftermarket bodykit that I've ever dealt with.

Oh and these are also purely CF, not carbon over fiberglass. They weigh next to nothing.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM
JCITY
Banned

Cool

The Spec-S are replicas of the Strosek sides, I believe. I almost bought them, but ultimately wanted something flat that runs the full length of the skirt, as opposed to the Strosek/Spec-S which are round and do not go the full length. IT's a shame, though, because I'll bet the fitment for you was spot-on.

Have you seen the Shine skirts in person?Or,only pics?Most body parts and interior mods,you just don't get the dimension feel in a pic.Yeah,the Spec-S
are somewhat bullet shaped at the front and rear.More aero dynamic.As far as full length,the pics are misleading since the front&rear curve in.These are more trim units than a skirt.They also "lower" the car over a inch.CF quality is great.No problem getting a jack under them.I also have a Mine's lip,Nismo rear
add-ons,Shine Spec-R diffuser.The "lines" go together nicely.

Yours looks great BTW. In fact it's exactly what I'm going for - already have the 06 front end with Mine's CF lip, and currently running VeilSide CF side wings but want something simpler.

Thanks in advance for any input on my two questions..
The Shine SPEC-S skirts are misleading in a pic.
Have you seen them in person?
They do have a bullet front&rear,so they curve in making them look shorter.
I also have a Mines lip,Nismo rear-add ons,Shine SPEC-R diffuser.The "lines"
go together well.No problem getting a jack under the skirts.Very well made.
CF is excellent.Holes match perfectly.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by JCITY
The Shine SPEC-S skirts are misleading in a pic.
Have you seen them in person?
They do have a bullet front&rear,so they curve in making them look shorter.
I also have a Mines lip,Nismo rear-add ons,Shine SPEC-R diffuser.The "lines"
go together well.No problem getting a jack under the skirts.Very well made.
CF is excellent.Holes match perfectly.
Yeah I hear ya. Wouldn't expect any less quality from Shine.

My main concern is to have something that flares out a bit from the front of the side skirt, just behind the front wheel. IMO this is where the stock side skirts and the Strosek side steps fail. The side skirt kind of "wusses out" at the very front end....i.e. gets too tapered and skinny for my taste. In most cases, to me at least, it even looks better with the stock mud guard than without.

So the flat type of side splitter that protrudes beyond the bottom of the side skirt in the very front is what I need specifically. Not sure if the $550 that DownforceUSA wants is justified, though.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I like the idea... Zero's car was clean and you've got extremely good taste too. Though it wouldn't work with my set up... it'll def work with yours.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM
sry110

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
I like the idea... Zero's car was clean and you've got extremely good taste too. Though it wouldn't work with my set up... it'll def work with yours.
Thanks man. I must say I'm tempted to buy the ones for the Mustang and mod them to fit like Zero did. But that's the part of me that enjoys banging my head against the wall trying to improvise a solution when in reality an extra $350 would get me the "real deal" manufactured to fit properly.

The other issue is that I have CF front lip and rear diffuser, so I really need the sides to be CF meaning that I would have to wrap the Mustang pieces. More time, more money, more frustration.

Boy it sure seems like I'm talking myself into the Downforce pieces.

Hey Bmurray.....shoot me an offer LOL
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Ak48z

Lol this has been on my buy list for a while, I'm going to put the mustang ones on with a stillen splitter. Probably gloss black.

Oh and I looked forever and couldn't find anymore pictures of zero's car either a while back.

Last edited by Ak48z; 09-13-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
CannMann21

I am keeping an eye on what you do sry...exterior wise, you have what I am planning on doing, and that Z posted by tpete looks sick. Mines front lip, clean flowing sides, and a rear diffuser, done. Keeping it simple.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 AM
sry110

Looking at the car some more, I can see why Zerostyle's roush side steps deflected downward at the back. Using his car as a reference again, I see how the stock side skirt bulges down a few inches before the rear wheel well. It does the same thing at the front end also.

I'm thinking it would take some test fitting, marking and Dremel'ing to carve out the top on each end to fit around the bulge so that they won't deflect. Then I would wrap them (or at least try!) in 3M carbon fiber print vinyl. They would also need to be modified to match the OEM mounting screw locations.

I'm trying to decide whether the ~$200 I would invest (splitters plus CF wrap and misc hardware), plus the time and aggravation, would be more attractive than just buying the real-deal from Downforce.

One difference I can see is that the DownforceUSA pieces end up actually sitting higher than Zerostyle's, because they are made notched-out to fit the contour of the side skirt.

TPete19, do you have any straight-on profile shots of your car with the Mine's lip, side splitters and rear diffuser installed? I'm curious to see how all these parts stack up height-wise.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM
sry110

Finally found one of Zerostyle's, profile shot, showing the roush splitters mounted.

You know...it actually doesn't look bad IMO, with the front and rear deflecting down to follow the lines of the sideskirt:

Waiting for TPete19 to weigh in with his profile shot so we can see these options side-by-side

Name:  384116_2300533751079_1181222906_32174778_1036561926_n.jpg
Views: 4249
Size:  203.0 KB

Last edited by sry110; 09-14-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 AM
TPete19

I'll take a few quick pics when I head out for lunch today.

Quick Reply: Side splitter options