Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do carbon fiber steering wheels get hot in heat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:12 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Do carbon fiber steering wheels get hot in heat?

Hey gang,

Contemplating redoing a spare steering wheel in real carbon fiber, but was wondering if they get hot in hot climates?

Was driving today and felt the plastic gaugle cluster cover and it was pretty hot in the heat...made me wonder if carbon fiber reacts the same.

My goal is to do a combo carbon-fiber and leather wheel...top would be carbon fiber, and very exposed to the sun.

Thanks as always for any help,

Saved

P.S. - my backup plan if I don't do actual carbon fiber is to possibly have the wheel hydro dipped in a subtle carbon fiber and then epoxy coated? I dunno...learning as I go here. But wondered if hydro dipping would get hot as well.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:30 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Carbon fiber will get hot just like anything else when exposed to the sun. When sitting in the sun, your interior will probably get to 130-150 degrees. Anything in that environment will get hot.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

actually they get cooler due to convectional di-hedral multi-vibration.... that's a fact.

on a serious note before you pull the trigger do some research on the vendors as there have been a few people scammed in the not too distant past by a certain vendors who shall remain unnamed (hangs on g35driver a lot). I'm not going to start pointing fingers, but search and be careful choosing who does the work.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 AM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just say the name? why protect a dirtbag who steals money?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM
RedScytheZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Row2K
actually they get cooler due to convectional di-hedral multi-vibration.... that's a fact.

on a serious note before you pull the trigger do some research on the vendors as there have been a few people scammed in the not too distant past by a certain vendors who shall remain unnamed (hangs on g35driver a lot). I'm not going to start pointing fingers, but search and be careful choosing who does the work.
This seems to defy the laws of thermodynamics, I've never heard of a material that gets cooler (loses kinetic energy) when it is heated (gains kinetic energy) unless its a phase change material (ie cold pack), but those maintain a temperature until sufficient heat transfer causes a phase change.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:25 AM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RedScytheZ
This seems to defy the laws of thermodynamics, I've never heard of a material that gets cooler (loses kinetic energy) when it is heated (gains kinetic energy) unless its a phase change material (ie cold pack), but those maintain a temperature until sufficient heat transfer causes a phase change.
look up convectional di-hedral multi-vibration
Old 08-18-2014, 04:08 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm actually the one that's going to be doing the work. I'm shaping the wheel, then covering it in carbon fiber, then having leatherwork done for the sides which I'll probably stitch up myself. God Willing. Big project.

I'm assuming it doesn't get too hot to touch though?

My RedLine Goods leather wheel never feels very hot even in 100+ weather...just curious how much hotter carbon fiber would feel? (LOVE that wheel by the way ...just thinking I want to change it up a bit)

Saved