Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is entailed in a quick release wheel kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:50 PM
07zee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is entailed in a quick release wheel kit?

Whats up guys! Recently picked up an 07 Z and love it so far. However, it looks like my wheel has some sun fade on it ... Figured i might as well buy a brand new quick release setup. What is entailed in a quick release setup? Just the hub and the wheel? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:59 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Roll cage, harness, sport seats. Either do it properly or look like an idiot. Your choice.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:00 PM
07zee

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Roll cage, harness, sport seats. Either do it properly or look like an idiot. Your choice.
Either that or buy a new wheel which would probably be 3x more...
Old 04-25-2015, 09:02 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by 07zee
Either that or buy a new wheel which would probably be 3x more...
Oem wheel is 100 bucks. Real quick release go for over 200 bucks. Cheap ebay **** is 59. So yea go cheap ebay ****, crash your car so theres one less "baller on a budget" riding around in this great car.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:05 PM
07zee

Oem wheel is 100 bucks. Real quick release go for over 200 bucks. Cheap ebay **** is 59. So yea go cheap ebay ****, crash your car so theres one less "baller on a budget" riding around in this great car.
didnt realize oem wheels were that cheap. only one ive seen for sale was on criagslist for like $400.. nobody said anythig about $59 ebay wheels.. no need for the d bag attitude. was a simple question.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 PM
turboed350z

didnt realize oem wheels were that cheap. only one ive seen for sale was on criagslist for like $400.. nobody said anythig about $59 ebay wheels.. no need for the d bag attitude. was a simple question.
No dbag attitude. You ask what is needed to run a quick release, i gave you the answer to how to SAFELY run it. Was too expensive and you got defensive.

You asked, i answered.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:08 PM
07zee

No dbag attitude. You ask what is needed to run a quick release, i gave you the answer to how to SAFELY run it. Was too expensive and you got defensive.

You asked, i answered.
no.. i asked about the quick release wheel. didnt ask for what you thought should be in a car with the wheel
Old 04-25-2015, 09:11 PM
turboed350z

no.. i asked about the quick release wheel. didnt ask for what you thought should be in a car with the wheel

You ask what is needed to run it. That is what needed. Thats like asking "what do i need to do brembo swap." And i tell you just the caliper and the rotors. No you supporting mods. If you cant afford it just get the thing recovered with new leather and call it a day.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 PM
JoseValencia27

Old 04-25-2015, 09:15 PM
07zee

Originally Posted by JoseValencia27
honestly didnt realize how cheap the oem was. like i said, only saw the one for sale for around 400 on craigslist and figured "id rather spend 300 on a quick release setup then 400 on an oem" but at that price ill just order another oem. thanks guys
Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Keep the airbag wheel unless it's a dedicated track car with the proper mods.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:45 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Keep the airbag wheel unless it's a dedicated track car with the proper mods.
I highly doubt it.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:24 AM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

honestly didnt realize how cheap the oem was. like i said, only saw the one for sale for around 400 on craigslist and figured "id rather spend 300 on a quick release setup then 400 on an oem" but at that price ill just order another oem. thanks guys
A works Bell QD, hub, plus steering wheel will be closer to $600-$700 depending on the wheel.

You can probably pick up a used wheel without airbag pretty cheap and swap your airbag in... or pull your wheel and have the leather redone. Both would be cheaper than the QD steering setup.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Cookiezor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, yea , dont listen to close minded ppl who say that putting a quick release is being a dumass, or ricer or whatever. if u like - put it on, its ur car. and who gives a **** what they think of you. i ve seen many ppl who invested 10s of K's in their ride, and for interior only have quick release, mainly due to low probability of a car being stolen. i mean ur average theif wont carry a spare steering wheel. but just as a concern for your safety - get a real quick release, like worksbell. the poster above said it just right. 600-700. plus u ll need a hub adapter, or a short hub depending on how much u want the wheel to stick out, keep in mind that with a short hub u ll barely reach turn signals, it will be uncomfy, as for reg hub, u wont reach at all without taking ur hands of the wheel - pretty unusual feeling, also u wont be able to slam on the horn if someone has cut u. and also look into a wheel wiring, as some are differen,t and u might require to rewire it a bit, it takes 30 secs.

forgot to mention, u ll need a spare resistor to plug in the harness instead of the airbag, there r places that sell 2, and also that sell 1 along with their quick release. now, i know that evasive motorsports supply two of them. not sure of other, but check, otherwise u ll have a light on ur dash, and u might not pass inspection, not sure. and read online how to put it on, the whole thing i mean. bc u dont want the air bag to deploy in ur face while u disconnect it.

otherwise yea. one of the posters said that u have to put roll cage, seats, ect. yeah thats not nessesary, i mean with buying a turbo kit, do i really have to build an engine? nope, stock internals can handle 400whp - there is a lot of proof on here. (JZ ppl put bigger turboes without even touching internals) its all about what ur preference is - u driving the car, not them. just dont think that u r faster with it lol.

Last edited by Cookiezor; 04-26-2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: forgot to mention.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:24 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Please keep it constructive and help out a fellow enthusiast. If we point him and others in the right direction, maybe we can steer the Z community back on course.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:49 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Cookiezor
ok, yea , dont listen to close minded ppl who say that putting a quick release is being a dumass, or ricer or whatever. if u like - put it on, its ur car. and who gives a **** what they think of you. i ve seen many ppl who invested 10s of K's in their ride, and for interior only have quick release, mainly due to low probability of a car being stolen. i mean ur average theif wont carry a spare steering wheel. but just as a concern for your safety - get a real quick release, like worksbell. the poster above said it just right. 600-700. plus u ll need a hub adapter, or a short hub depending on how much u want the wheel to stick out, keep in mind that with a short hub u ll barely reach turn signals, it will be uncomfy, as for reg hub, u wont reach at all without taking ur hands of the wheel - pretty unusual feeling, also u wont be able to slam on the horn if someone has cut u. and also look into a wheel wiring, as some are differen,t and u might require to rewire it a bit, it takes 30 secs.

forgot to mention, u ll need a spare resistor to plug in the harness instead of the airbag, there r places that sell 2, and also that sell 1 along with their quick release. now, i know that evasive motorsports supply two of them. not sure of other, but check, otherwise u ll have a light on ur dash, and u might not pass inspection, not sure. and read online how to put it on, the whole thing i mean. bc u dont want the air bag to deploy in ur face while u disconnect it.

otherwise yea. one of the posters said that u have to put roll cage, seats, ect. yeah thats not nessesary, i mean with buying a turbo kit, do i really have to build an engine? nope, stock internals can handle 400whp - there is a lot of proof on here. (JZ ppl put bigger turboes without even touching internals) its all about what ur preference is - u driving the car, not them. just dont think that u r faster with it lol.

Theres a reason i said to get a roll cage, harness and seats. Its supporting mods. This has to do with safety. If someone wanted to boost your ride, theyll ****ing boost your ride, with or without the steering wheel. That is SUCH a lame excuse as to why you "need" a quick disconnect wheel.

Hell even track member on here are telling you DONT use the quick disconnect if you dont track the car. Theyres a right way and a wrong way to do things. Youre right, you dont need to built an engine to tun a turbo, but would you push 600hp on de stock internals? No cause its not a smart thing to do. Just like running a quick disconnect without the proper safety devices.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The cage, harness and seats are necessary for proper safety. In a head on collision, in addition to the lack of airbags, aftermarket hubs and wheels generally deform into something resembling the end of a harpoon (the pointy end that impales you) The more expensive brands like momo are built to crush instead of remain solid but unless you are restrained and the cabin is reinforced it can only do so much.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Cookiezor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a reason i said to get a roll cage, harness and seats. Its supporting mods. This has to do with safety. If someone wanted to boost your ride, theyll ****ing boost your ride, with or without the steering wheel. That is SUCH a lame excuse as to why you "need" a quick disconnect wheel.

Hell even track member on here are telling you DONT use the quick disconnect if you dont track the car. Theyres a right way and a wrong way to do things. Youre right, you dont need to built an engine to tun a turbo, but would you push 600hp on de stock internals? No cause its not a smart thing to do. Just like running a quick disconnect without the proper safety devices.

i see ur point of saying that its not a smart idea, but saying that he has an option of being an idiot or going all out is not right either. then that would mean that everybody on the street who have QR without anything else is an idiot. that would be pretty ignorant to think that way. if it makes him happy, then let him go for it. we r all here in this world to make the best out of the life that has been given to us. Some people like huge spoilers, some huge turboes, some QR's with momo wheels.

all i'm saying is that u could have said it in a different way, something like "QR by it self is not the smartest idea, it would be advised to have other safety components to go with it, but if it makes u happy, then u ll need this this and that". Idiot is a harsh thing to say, he would be an idiot for driving without the steering wheel, but putting a QR is not as idiotic as u made it seem, but i do see where u coming from.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

07zee, you mentioned your reason for seeking a new wheel was because the existing wheel had some unsightly faded areas. The black leather covering on the wheel can easily be returned to the rich, black, appearance of its youth. As black is the most common leather color there are many leather cleaner/conditioners that also have an effective black die in them. I’ve used a few different ones over the years and they have all worked very well. If the black, center vinyl piece is also effected, any of the “color back” vinyl cleaners will also work wonders.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:44 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Cookiezor
i see ur point of saying that its not a smart idea, but saying that he has an option of being an idiot or going all out is not right either. then that would mean that everybody on the street who have QR without anything else is an idiot. that would be pretty ignorant to think that way. if it makes him happy, then let him go for it. we r all here in this world to make the best out of the life that has been given to us. Some people like huge spoilers, some huge turboes, some QR's with momo wheels.

all i'm saying is that u could have said it in a different way, something like "QR by it self is not the smartest idea, it would be advised to have other safety components to go with it, but if it makes u happy, then u ll need this this and that". Idiot is a harsh thing to say, he would be an idiot for driving without the steering wheel, but putting a QR is not as idiotic as u made it seem, but i do see where u coming from.
If you want to risk your life to save a few bucks, youre an idiot in my book. If you want to risk your life because your car isnt cosmetically perfect, youre an idiot in my book.

Like i said, he asked what is needed to run the qdc wheel, i answer. Its not the answer he was looking for, but its the correct answer.

Quick Reply: what is entailed in a quick release wheel kit?