Notices

How to do Twins right the first time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Wraith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what would a correct motor build cost est be? from the small block and stroker and all the goodies with tt kit the whole enchilada?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:26 PM
mjedens

$35k
Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Wraith

Originally Posted by mjedens
$35k

thats it??????? i was thinking more like 45-50K.
still a crap load of money.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM
jason350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read all the post nobaby answear what whp is safe after TT or single turbo on stock motor
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

so am i correct in understanding that a built short block (unsleeved) is good for about 500hp? it seems like most people are saying that sleaving the engine is only necessary if you want to lay down some really big numbers, like 650rwhp or so?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Amiricanmade

Originally Posted by jason350z
i read all the post nobaby answear what whp is safe after TT or single turbo on stock motor

+1. I just want 4xxwhp on a stock block with a PE TT...can i get that ?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 AM
kleefton

Originally Posted by Wraith
what would a correct motor build cost est be? from the small block and stroker and all the goodies with tt kit the whole enchilada?
How do people figure 35k?
greddy tt kit from ebay 4500
Intercooler kit 1000
built short block from SGP (550hp shortblock) 4000
bigger injectors 500
return fuel kit 1000
fuel pump 100
3" catless exhaust 1000
Clutch 1000
misc gauges and boost controller: 1000
Standalone ecu: 1000
labor to have a shop complete job and tuning costs: (may vary) 3000.

total: 18000 for a 500+ whp tt beast. And you could probably spend less than that if you know how to shop around.
If you want more power you have to sleeve the engine so add another 2 grand.

I fail to see where people are getting 35k from. Even if you build the head, which I don't think is necessary at all, since you can always get more power by running more boost, you're still miles away from 35 grand.

18000 is not small change though, but it's not that bad.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:15 AM
uniqueIllusions

ok so everyone is talking about all this motor work but will the tranny and axels be able to handle 600+ hp
Old 09-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Willie

Originally Posted by kleefton
How do people figure 35k?
greddy tt kit from ebay 4500
Intercooler kit 1000
built short block from SGP (550hp shortblock) 4000
bigger injectors 500
return fuel kit 1000
fuel pump 100
3" catless exhaust 1000
Clutch 1000
misc gauges and boost controller: 1000
Standalone ecu: 1000
labor to have a shop complete job and tuning costs: (may vary) 3000.

total: 18000 for a 500+ whp tt beast. And you could probably spend less than that if you know how to shop around.
If you want more power you have to sleeve the engine so add another 2 grand.

I fail to see where people are getting 35k from. Even if you build the head, which I don't think is necessary at all, since you can always get more power by running more boost, you're still miles away from 35 grand.

18000 is not small change though, but it's not that bad.
Originally Posted by Wraith
-
Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Darwizel

Hello guys, i need some help on finding a shop to install jwt turbo on my z. My team member's selling his jwt and the problem is its still on his z. The work would be taking it out of his and putting it on mine's. Anybody know where i can take it around california?? I live in la county.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 PM
usingthejohn

Originally Posted by Darwizel
Hello guys, i need some help on finding a shop to install jwt turbo on my z. My team member's selling his jwt and the problem is its still on his z. The work would be taking it out of his and putting it on mine's. Anybody know where i can take it around california?? I live in la county.

If you're in So Cal:
gt motorsports in rancho cucamonga
relentless autosports in el cajon
Old 11-12-2007, 09:57 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, so I have read every word of this and I completely agree about building the internals. Over the next few weeks, I will receive all of my parts and Superior Racing Development is installing all of it. I debated going with the forged motor, but since my goal is 550 whp, it was a necessity. The stock motor just can't handle that much. Think of it this way, the stock motor does 287 hp at the CRANK. That is what the engine, tranny, and other components are made to handle. If you go even to 400 whp, that is about 480 HP at the Crank (almost double what it is made to handle). I blew 2 motors in my old Z, with NO FI. This was probably just a lemon, and the settlement with Nissan seems to indicate that as well. Either way, I would rather build this right the first time, to avoid the additional labor charges to redo everything later and the down time, and the headaches, and the stress.

I highly recommend reading this post very closely, but on the other hand, you could be lucky and boost your Z with no problems on the stock motor. Who knows? I just want the piece of mind.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My Build Sheet

OK, here's my build sheet. Please, anyone with experience in this arena, feel free to let me know if I'm missing anything from this plan.

-SGP Upgraded Long Block #1:
Block oil passages cleaned
Block redecked
Block Bored and Honed using a Torque Plate
Crank balanced
Crank journals polished
New Main and Rod bearings w/*ceramic coating
CARRILLO Forged Rods
ARP Rod Bolts
CP Forged Pistons .020 over(8.5:1 or 11.5:1)
Heads oil passages cleaned
Heads redecked
Ported Exhaust and Intake runners
JWT Upgraded Cams
JWT HD Valve Springs
5 angle valve job
Valve Stem Heights set
Cold Clearance set
New Valve stem seals
HKS Metal Head Gaskets
New Nissan REVUP Oil Pump
New Nissan Cam seals
-SGP 3-Yr Warranty
-Greddy Twin Turbo
-RC Engineering 750CC Injectors
-AAM Stage 2 Fuel Return System
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

-HKS BOV
-60mm Aluminum Flange
-NGK Iridium 1 step colder plugs
-SGP Valve Body Upgrade (Auto tranny)
-Turbo XS UTEC
-Turbo XS Remote MAP selector
-Turbo XS Boost control Solenoid
-Turbo XS MAP sensor
-Greddy TT Exhaust (2.5")
-AAM Spec 2.5" Test Pipes
-3 Gauge Pod
-Innovate DB red wideband kit
-Defi-link meter BF (60mm Oil Pressure Gauge)
-Defi-link meter BF (60mm Boost Gauge)
-Defi-Link Control Unit II
-Greddy Catch Can
-2-1/16" Core Radiator
-Samco Hoses, Blue
-Pro-Torque Converters

Of course, I will also have the additional labor, tuning (4 MAPs), AT Flush, Break-in oil, oil change, and dyno.
Anything I'm missing? Anything you think is mis-guided, or unnecessary, or unwise?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
iknowitsfast

wow i actually read thru this entire post...i got a recommendation today to go with the GReddy Twin Turbo kit. I only want to run the bone stock boost, no more. I'd even be happy with less than 400rwhp. I think i'll do it and upgrade the pistons, rods and a few other things and give it a shot.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 AM
CESAROTORRES

Originally Posted by iknowitsfast
wow i actually read thru this entire post...i got a recommendation today to go with the GReddy Twin Turbo kit. I only want to run the bone stock boost, no more. I'd even be happy with less than 400rwhp. I think i'll do it and upgrade the pistons, rods and a few other things and give it a shot.
You do not have to! Buy the APS Twin Turbo system (The original complete kit) and you would not need to built your engine. A good twin turbo kit + A good installer + A good tune = safe boosting. If you stay below 390whp you will be fine.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:53 PM
yamir1985

hi guys i'm new, and here it goes...

I own a z with 55 k miles on it, at 47k i went ahead and throw in a greddy tt kit 5k including installation did an upgrade in injectiors i have 550cc now walbro fuel pump and some little stuff, nothing done to the engine, i'l say im bone stock with the greddy kit, now ive been racing every friday, saturday and sunday since i throw in the tt kit i'm running rich on gas as hell the tuner who install the turbo sucks i dont want to take my car back to him everyone says i'm runing rich, now, i think im running safe i got right now around 410rwhp something like that now some cheap really cheap rocomendations i cant barely pay for the mortgage of this baby z lol so please i will need some more help from experts so i can maintain my engine safe and do some work to it to avoid blowing up my engine i'm afraid of doing that "( some suggestions please ?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM
App6MT

Originally Posted by yamir1985

I own a z with 55 k miles on it, at 47k i went ahead and throw in a greddy tt kit 5k including installation did an upgrade in injectiors i have 550cc now walbro fuel pump and some little stuff, nothing done to the engine, i'l say im bone stock with the greddy kit, now ive been racing every friday, saturday and sunday since i throw in the tt kit i'm running rich on gas as hell the tuner who install the turbo sucks i dont want to take my car back to him everyone says i'm runing rich, now, i think im running safe i got right now around 410rwhp something like that now some cheap really cheap rocomendations i cant barely pay for the mortgage of this baby z lol so please i will need some more help from experts so i can maintain my engine safe and do some work to it to avoid blowing up my engine i'm afraid of doing that "( some suggestions please ?
Do you know you're running 410whp? That's pretty mighty, especially if you are "running rich"

Do yourself a favor and drive up to Orlando and see Performance Factory.

And if you can't afford the payments, get a second job.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 PM
yamir1985

guys you dont know any good tuner close to miami ? driving to orlando is kinda far ? anyways i may go someday how much is to tune my car ?

also i would like to get my car to 600rwhp MAX!!! what upgrades should you guys recommend thinking the cheap way please i may get another job never thought about it but i'l probably get a new jop someone make a list of parts with prices if possible including tuning, remember guys the cheap way, just the minimum that i'l need to run safe and smoke some vetts that are alway beating me.
one more thing like i mentioned before i'm runing rich, i feel like i'm wasting too much gas 20 bucks every 2 or 3 days :/ with 600rwhp i guess it will be worse.

Last edited by yamir1985; 01-17-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
CESAROTORRES

Originally Posted by yamir1985

I will recommend that you take you car to JAPTRIX, it is on south Florida. They will take care your problem on running rich.

Cesar
Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
App6MT

A built motor is going to set you back, especially if you can't do any of the work yourself.

Quick Reply: How to do Twins right the first time!!!