So this is a copy over from my build on another forum to get this updated, than I will single out between the 2. Others have seen this in my secondary firewall removal thread.
I am not to sure where to place this, hopefully this area will do since there is not a swap or building thread area.
Whats up everyone. After 2 years of searching, mainly due to saving money, I finally found my G35. She is a 2004 Ivory White Pearl with black leather interior 6mt. I always intended on doing an engine swap on this car but I had originally wanted to build a Frankenstein vk45, which is a great but different topic. but due to oil pan location and engine placement in the engine bay. the cost became to great for my needs. I am using a 2011 vk56de out of a titan. I am running a flex fuel engine for some rather specific reasons right now before modifying the engine internally.
I know this swap has been attempted many times and build threads have died out over the years, I have read most of them and seen most of them end in part outs due to part nonavailability. I have been in contact with many shops before getting crazy into this and have found who I need to build what I need so I will start off from the beginning I guess.
She is a little rough, she was not taken care of well. She was female owned..... The rear bumper and spoiler have damage and I will be replacing them and the front driver fender has damage, I have a new fender for it already. The engine had over 203k miles on it and the person I spoke with about fed me a ton of crap about how good of shape it was in. When I met her she was drinking oil like and alcoholic and what she didn't drink she bled out the nasty rtv covered vlave cover gaskets. She had 5 fuel injectors of one car and a 6th from a different car. The dual mass flywheel was shot and the clutch was basically fuzz in the bell housing.
So here she is what I got her.
She was rough and dirty, I didn't take many pictures because of that.
So here is pulling her apart.
Ok you have mostly all seen this stuff cause your all owners. Here is where it gets fun. Since I am doing a vk56 swap and as I have been reading and learning and studying. There are 2 ways to do this. You can A. Squeeze the motor into that small compartment and push a ton of weight forward, ruining the near perfect weight distribution of the car and basically push it heavily through the corners destroying front wheels. Or you can do B, the correct way and get rid of all that crap in the way. The VQ sits so far forward of the secondary firewall alone, plus the depth of that secondary firewall. Thats a lot of space to be had. SOOOOOOO, I started drilling and cutting.
Now that all that crap is out of the way I bring in a friend that welds, since its the only damn thing I can't do. I don't have the equipment. Funny enough I should have taken a picture but I forgot, the cord for the welder was a 100 ft extension we made and ran to the second floor drier outlet. haha good times.
I noticed in builds that I was seeing, these areas were left open, I wanted to close them as reinforcement and than also for looks.
I forgot to get photos of these covers after they were finished.
Now I started fibergalssing over them and building up layers so I can sand off extra material to clean them up nicely.
I will have updates on the build up and what it looks like all finished. I am working odd hours this week so won't be at it till the weekend.
Here is a photo I think you will all enjoy, lets play "Name that engine"
So far I am working more on the car while I save an accumulate parts. I currently have the vk56 auto bell housing, the Zfever adaptor plate which will allow me to run the stock pos sensor and ecu for now while the engine remains in stock form. The headers are underway right now as I caught them at the right time of them doing a swap, so I am having a set made for me as well. I still need to order the internal slave for the auto bell housing. And engines mounts are also currently being made. They are the same that were used in Ryan Kados 350z, well made by the same company and same style to put the motor as far back as possible.
So that's it for now. I will try to update at the beginning of the week to keep any interested parties up to date.