Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Plenum Shootout test.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Plenum Shootout test.

After my NA engine build is complete (build link), I plan on performing a plenum test prior to bringing the car home to help out those looking for a good plenum for their non FI car. Below are the plenum configurations I plan to test and the ones I will be receiving from the manufacturer or have bought previously.

1. Cosworth Plenum (personal item)
2. Motordyne ISO 5/16" + MREV2 (provided by Motordyne Engineering)
3. Skunk2 5/8" Spacer (provided by Skunk2) + Revup Lower (personal item)

I was intending to test the Powerlab 3/8" spacer since it's quite a popular one but unfortunately I have not been able to successfully come into contact with Intensepower/Powerlab.

Edit: I've also omitted the Kinetix as well as the Crawford plenum as those have been already proven to be worthless for NA application.

Edit to: I've omitted the Kinetix SSV as it has shown disappointing results on NA cars. Crawford was also left out as the performance is very similar to a spacer but at a higher price.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Test will probably be done in a few weeks. I'll keep things updated as I get more information.

Update 10/29/2009: I just sent an email to Kinetix Racing to see if they would like to provide a V+ for the test and if they believe my statement on the SSV is incorrect. Also I've updated the paragraph to clarify things about the Crawford and Kinetix.

Last edited by gabe3d; 10-29-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa hold up...
Where was Crawford or Kinetix proven to be worthless?
If I remember correctly, the Crawford did do well in a magazine shootout and Kinetix has shown gains with cam'd motors.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 AM
DemitriHKS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the Z1 plenum...? i'm looking for someone to post something on this one that is legit.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Motordyne is officially in.

If any Z clubs or forum members/moderators are local to you please give them an open invitation.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Whoa hold up...
If I remember correctly, the Crawford did do well in a magazine shootout and Kinetix has shown gains with cam'd motors.
Correct. In the original shootout, the V5 Crawford was right there with all the other spacers that gained good power thoughout the power band.

It was the angled spacer or plenum that dyno'd lower than stock in some areas.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 AM
gabe3d

Whoa hold up...
Perhaps worthless is too strong of a word but, based on the previous shootout that was done in the Nissan Sport Magazine, there really is no point in testing it out. Do you remember any more details about the Kinetix showing gains on the cammed car? If it shows interesting perhaps I may pursue getting a hold of one.

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Delete my name from this site NOW!!!
I think you can easily do this by asking a moderator delete your username or by simply not coming to the site.

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Motordyne is officially in.

If any Z clubs or forum members/moderators are local to you please give them an open invitation.
Thanks for participating.

It's a good point that you bring up. This will definitely legitimize the test further, however I don't believe it'll be possible to have an open invitation but perhaps bringing a few might be possible. I'll ask the shop before hand.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 AM
INTIMAZY

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Perhaps worthless is too strong of a word but, based on the previous shootout that was done in the Nissan Sport Magazine, there really is no point in testing it out. Do you remember any more details about the Kinetix showing gains on the cammed car? If it shows interesting perhaps I may pursue getting a hold of one.
It wouldn't be worth throwing in there if it ends up costing you anything. In general, Kinetix has been labeled "bling" or even "junk." If you happen to come across a free one, throw it on.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Jeff92se

This is motordyne's dyno. This particular graph is a Delta Change from the stock hp. 2000 rpm to redline. The crawford is right up there. In this test the kinetix rated poorly. But not as poor as the angled spacer.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 AM
INTIMAZY

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
This is motordyne's dyno. This particular graph is a Delta Change from the stock hp. 2000 rpm to redline. The crawford is right up there. In this test the kinetix rated poorly. But not as poor as the angled spacer.
I should have been more clear. I was referring to the Kinetix SSV.
The Kinetix plenum in that test was not the SSV. It was the plastic "recreation" of the Crawford 1 piece upper design with a notch that allowed you to use the factory STB. That notch probably had much to do with its poor performance.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by DemitriHKS
what about the Z1 plenum...? i'm looking for someone to post something on this one that is legit.
I think like the others above have said, the angled spacer like AAM or Z1 will probably perform quite poorly. Do you know what kind of numbers Z1 says it will provide?

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Correct. In the original shootout, the V5 Crawford was right there with all the other spacers that gained good power thoughout the power band.

It was the angled spacer or plenum that dyno'd lower than stock in some areas.
Yeah, i was referring to this shootout as well. The performance seems to be close to that of the motordyne units but at more than double the cost, hence the reason I intended to skip this plenum. If you think otherwise let me know. I can always contact them to see if they are willing to lend one for the test.

It wouldn't be worth throwing in there if it ends up costing you anything. In general, Kinetix has been labeled "bling" or even "junk." If you happen to come across a free one, throw it on.
Pretty sure I won't be able to run into a free one, but I can always ask Kinetix (SSV and not the Racing V+ correct?) to lend one if you have seen from a prior test that it will give good gains on cammed NA cars. Let me know. I want to make this test as thorough as possible since it will benefit my build as well as the community.

Last edited by gabe3d; 10-27-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Jeff92se

Just wanted to clarify. Any dyno shoot outs that are done subjectively are welcomed information for all of us. Good luck with the testing.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I was intending to test the Powerlab 3/8" spacer since it's quite a popular one but unfortunately I have not been able to successfully come into contact with Intensepower/Powerlab.
Maybe their Inbox is full?

Have you tried to contact them on this forum?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 PM
INTIMAZY

Pretty sure I won't be able to run into a free one, but I can always ask Kinetix (SSV and not the Racing V+ correct?) to lend one if you have seen from a prior test that it will give good gains on cammed NA cars. Let me know. I want to make this test as thorough as possible since it will benefit my build as well as the community.
If I find a thread with the reference to it I'll let you know. So far all I see is threads about how the SSV is no good for bolton or boost cars.
Maybe somebody can lend you their SSV plenum. Hell, if ya need a stock revup plenum you can borrow mine as well. I'll ship it to ya too as long as you ship it back.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

After my NA engine build is complete (build link), I plan on performing a plenum test prior to bringing the car home to help out those looking for a good plenum for their non FI car. Below are the plenum configurations I plan to test and the ones I will be receiving from the manufacturer or have bought previously.

1. Cosworth Plenum (personal item)
2. Motordyne ISO 5/16" + MREV2 (provided by Motordyne Engineering)
3. Skunk2 1/2" Spacer (provided by Skunk2) + Revup Lower (personal item)

I was intending to test the Powerlab 3/8" spacer since it's quite a popular one but unfortunately I have not been able to successfully come into contact with Intensepower/Powerlab. I've also omitted the Kinetix as well as the Crawford plenum as those have been already proven to be worthless for NA application.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Test will probably be done in a few weeks. I'll keep things updated as I get more information.
I don't understand the part that I singled out in bold above. Your car, after everything you have expected to have done to it, will have very little in common with a stock (or non-cammed shall I say) VQ which is what the majority of the members of this forum have.

Edit: For the sake of science and experimentation I look forward to the results.

Edit 2: I also agree with what has been said above about the Crawford Plenum not being "worthless."

Last edited by Kwame; 10-27-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
I don't understand the part that I singled out in bold above. Your car, after everything you have expected to have done to it, will have very little in common with a stock (or non-cammed shall I say) VQ which is what the majority of the members of this forum have.
You are correct that my car is going to be very different compared to normal NA VQs but it'll definitely be closer to those compared to FI cars. I'm betting on the facts that my car will highlight the difference even more between each products.

Edit: For the sake of science and experimentation I look forward to the results.
Same here. These test results should be very useful for you as well since your car will have the same displacement as mine, but other then that I'm not sure what you are building.

Edit 2: I also agree with what has been said above about the Crawford Plenum not being "worthless."
Worthless was the wrong word to use, but like I corrected myself above it's more because of the similar gains the crawford gives when comparing it to the MD. Therefore the premium you pay (close to double) for the crawford is in turn non beneficial.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Jeff92se

I got my Crawford V5 used for way cheaper than what you can get a spacer used for!

IMHO, the issue of worthiness should be a function of performance. How much were those Kinetix SS plenums???!!!

Once the performance of each is subjectively measured, it should be up to the reader if the price for said product makes it "worthy" or not.

But then again, we all aren't made of $ so I can understand how cost could be a factor when it's already been dyno'd against two spacers you are going to dyno again.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 10-27-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

ANGLED SPACER

I just got done installing an Angled Spacer and Checking Tune on my car.

In my case the Tune is Unchanged or very minimal changes acured, no need to change tune. ( for Example 11.60 AFR changed to 11.65 or 11.68 in Hi Boost)
The car was a little Rich as it was..........

The car pulls very hard in the Mid Range and Upper Range.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
gabe3d

^ interesting to hear. Were you able to get a back to back dyno to see the difference in numbers? Did you have anything prior to the angled plenum spacer?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

^ interesting to hear. Were you able to get a back to back dyno to see the difference in numbers? Did you have anything prior to the angled plenum spacer?
Stock Intake Before.....

I did not tune on a Dyno, I do it on the back Roads.

My setup is in my sign
Old 10-28-2009, 05:57 AM
DemitriHKS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think like the others above have said, the angled spacer like AAM or Z1 will probably perform quite poorly. Do you know what kind of numbers Z1 says it will provide?
No they don't. All they say is this

Z1 Plenum Spacer

This angled aluminum plenum spacer for your 350Z - G35 VQ35DE is specially designed to increase airflow to your engine while allowing you to keep the factory strut tower brace. Raising the plenum lets your engine breathe better allowing for noticeable gains in power. This kit comes complete with a new plenum gasket and new bolts to make for an easy install.

View Z1 Motorsports' Installation Manual HERE.
$144.00

I hear their products are actually really good and for a spacer, you can't go wrong with that price....If it works almost as good or just as good as the MD's, that's a great alternative.

Quick Reply: Plenum Shootout test.