Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Just installed test pipes now hissing help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:08 PM
350zaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed test pipes now hissing help!

Hey guys so I just recently installed test pipes from z1 motorsports and as soon as I installed them when I rev past 3 it makes such a loud hiss. I do have a custom exhaust from the y pipe back its a MagnaFlow muffler and the rest is just new pipes. Could it be the y pipe? Should I add a resonator? And also when I rev it feels like the car takes a minute to rev back down??
Old 11-10-2016, 09:01 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zaddict
Hey guys so I just recently installed test pipes from z1 motorsports and as soon as I installed them when I rev past 3 it makes such a loud hiss. I do have a custom exhaust from the y pipe back its a MagnaFlow muffler and the rest is just new pipes. Could it be the y pipe? Should I add a resonator? And also when I rev it feels like the car takes a minute to rev back down??
NORMAL.
Magnaflow and stillen are two of the worst exhausts to pair test pipes with.
the revs are all in your head bro.
adding a resonator will help.. some.
should have researched. not all exhaust pair well with tp.and this vq loves to rasp so you'll need a quality system even then it's not guaranteed. check youtube for good matches.
my favorite is the nismo s tune exhaust and motordyne tdx shockwave
Old 11-10-2016, 10:04 PM
terrj

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its normal dude and get a resonated y pipe, it should help but you shouldve gotten MD ART pipes , no rasp
Old 11-11-2016, 05:44 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Grab a y pipe with a resonator like Terrj suggested like the Motordyne XYZ and u should be fine, the rasp should mostly go away.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:27 PM
NissanZcrazy

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by terrj
Its normal dude and get a resonated y pipe, it should help but you shouldve gotten MD ART pipes , no rasp
Not true!,As far as test pipes go MD is the best BUT MD art pipes still give you rasp,just not as brutal as some test pipes on the market
Old 11-11-2016, 04:25 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Welcome to letting the Z breathe.

Only thing I hates about this motors exhaust note.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:48 PM
350zaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
NORMAL.
Magnaflow and stillen are two of the worst exhausts to pair test pipes with.
the revs are all in your head bro.
adding a resonator will help.. some.
should have researched. not all exhaust pair well with tp.and this vq loves to rasp so you'll need a quality system even then it's not guaranteed. check youtube for good matches.
my favorite is the nismo s tune exhaust and motordyne tdx shockwave
Thanks bro and my buddy just put a full invidia exhaust but left the resonator for me u think that should be fine for now?
Old 11-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Abe_Froman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Z hisses like a cobra with the test pipes on. It does sound like an Indy car at WOT now though. You can spend a lot of time and money trying to make an exhaust sound good or you can practice the art of giving no f*cks and enjoy the extra few ponies.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:46 PM
BluestreamDE

^Choice A is the better outcome overall. Most of these broke kids with Zs and that "art of no F's given" end up butchering the stock exhaust removing the resonator and fabbing up their own exhaust that sound like a gapped butthole with diarrhea, like something I see on Haggard Garage. Dont understand this mentality but OP, you are on the right track with the resonator.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
^Choice A is the better outcome overall. Most of these broke kids with Zs and that "art of no F's given" end up butchering the stock exhaust removing the resonator and fabbing up their own exhaust that sound like a gapped butthole with diarrhea, like something I see on Haggard Garage. Dont understand this mentality but OP, you are on the right track with the resonator.
If you can afford to make your car sound nice, sure, why not do it the proper way. But, a lot of people spend way too much money and time obsessing over stupid crap like a slight exhaust note change when in reality no one but you will even care about it. I say this as someone who has been modifying and racing cars for 15 years. Cars can suck up a lot of money, time, blood, sweat, tears and then you smack them into a wall at the track or a soccer mom takes them out coming out of the Walmart parking lot and all your work is gone. Keep some perspective while modding a car and you are better off in the long run. They can turn into an unhealthy obsession very quickly.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:18 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Or buying JDM rad caps $150 ea.

Or premium race spec wheels at $5k a set to go the speed limits around town or pictures for FB
Old 11-12-2016, 11:54 PM
BluestreamDE

Well, Thank God I don't have social media to receive likes to validate my existence. If an annoying raspy sounding exhaust is OK with you because you give no F's, that's good for you.

Speaking of Perspective, If money is such an issue that is effecting your modding capabilities, then the Z is not the car to have since everything for it is expensive.

No offense, but OP Asked about the hiss sound from test pipes and how to get rid of it, what you are typing about with your art to not give a F contributed to nothing.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:57 AM
Abe_Froman

Sorry I was drunk rambling with my post last night. OP, get some resonators.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:33 AM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Sorry I was drunk rambling with my post last night. OP, get some resonators.
Hahaha love it!!