Old 04-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ i will do it next week.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check: 1. Throttle Position Sensor; 2. Possible clean-up needed for Throttle Body; 3. Possible tune-up needed (i.e. fouled spark plug[s]); 4. Possible dirty MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor). Good luck!
____________________________________________________________ _____
'04 Touring coupe/13k!!!/$22k!!!/NO FEATHERING, SPUTTERING, PINGING...
...NADA!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Oh!, I forgot! Stick to Chevron, Texaco & Esso/Enco/Exxon. They're the only ones that contain Techron on both premium AND regular gas. Shell has it in its
premium, but NOT in the regular. Don't know 'bout Hess, Gulf, Citgo, etc.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Profink
Maybe I'm wrong, but each bottle of Heet costs $1.50, so for $3.00 you can try and see if it works or you can wait to see what else people come up with. Just like a few others here my car was at the dealership for the problem with the only answer being "could not duplicate."

The water problem was suggested by someone who's been working on Zs for 28+ years and who the owner of Sage Auto Group (West Covina Nissan) takes his cars to because he doesn't trust his own mechanics, so this isn't just me making this up.

I'll say it again, I had this same problem exactly as its been described here and it was actually getting quite violent at times. I used to bottles of heet which cost only $3.00 and it worked.

hmm.. The way you explain it, alot of it makes sense but there are just so many variables. For example, I'm wondering if the reason why there is a delay in the issue is because the fuel lines from the gas tank are already full, so it takes a little bit for the fuel lines to empty and start sucking in the water that's gathered at the bottom of the gas tank. This would also explain why the engine sounds different too. I'll try it out sometime soon. Gas tank is almost empty.

thanks for your input doug, i was tempted to PM you to see if you've been having this problem too.

Last edited by stylett9; 04-28-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Tac-M

^ wow ! that sounds right !
Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 PM
stylett9

Originally Posted by Tac-M
^ wow ! that sounds right !

is that sarcasm? lol

anyhow, i picked up some of the stuff profink suggested so we'll see how my car does tomorrow morning. crosses fingers..
Old 04-29-2008, 02:57 AM
Tac-M

nop... no sarcasm here ! it does make sense !
Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Profink

Originally Posted by stylett9
anyhow, i picked up some of the stuff profink suggested so we'll see how my car does tomorrow morning. crosses fingers..
Mike, just remember you have to burn through at least half a tank of gas before you'll start to notice anything. It won't happen overnight.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM
stylett9

Originally Posted by Profink
Mike, just remember you have to burn through at least half a tank of gas before you'll start to notice anything. It won't happen overnight.

lol, good thing you mentioned that because this morning it happened and i was like "AWWW FOR THE MAJOR FAIL!!!"

i'll pay close attention for this whole tank.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM
stylett9

just an update after taking Profinks advice.

This morning, problem was non existant. (But i did get on the freeway faster then normal so that might have had some influence)

Lunch Break, the problem came, but was VERY minor compared to how it normally is.

After work we'll see what happens..
Old 05-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Tac-M

:P i got that chit in my gas tank as well ! we'll see !
Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 AM
stylett9

So i tried Profink's suggestion through 1 full tank of gas. While the problem did alleviate, it's not completely fixed. I'll try another bottle this tank too.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:24 AM
07JimmyZ

I just went through half a tank with the stuff and this morning it was unoticable. Will update you guys later on, I picked up two of the red bottles so well see how it goes after the two tanks are finished.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 AM
stylett9

It seems as if it has helped, but the problem is still definately noticeable.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 AM
07JimmyZ

Yeah, I noticed it at low rpm's in second gear-but nowhere near as bad as it used to be
Old 06-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Tac-M

bump bump bump..... ???
Old 06-05-2008, 12:04 PM
newt0n

IDK about sputtering but my car does idle very high when first cranking it. 2k+ RPM for a min or so then it settles. Figured it was normal so I never said anything. Only posted because I thought it might help.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:02 AM
stylett9

Originally Posted by newt0n
IDK about sputtering but my car does idle very high when first cranking it. 2k+ RPM for a min or so then it settles. Figured it was normal so I never said anything. Only posted because I thought it might help.

that's normal.

i gave up awhile ago. I'm just dealing with it now. I have noticed if you redline the crap out of a gear or two when it starts, it goes away much faster...
Old 06-07-2008, 09:56 AM
108NismoZ

just stumbled on to this thread today and was shocked at how long this has been going on. i have just recently noticed by car doing this. had it at hamilton nissan last week for about 2 days and actually had to show them what it was doing. fortunately was able to duplicate it. similar to everyone else if you let my vehicle sit for approx 3 hours and then drive it within the first few minutes of starting the vehicle the hisitation/detonation/fuel cut occurs. so far nissan has discovered a lean condition but unsure of why it is occuring. i will be dropping my vehicle off again on monday to allow them to figure this out. i have had fujita dual air intakes on my vehicle which were i believe the first version with there breather tubes do not align correctly. the intakes are installed properly (installed myself) and i also eliminated the one black breather box by the passanger intake (just recently removed). i have had the intakes on for awhile and just started noticing the issue. i also have stillen headers, r-tech hi flow cats, and a customer cat back exhaust system.

to the response of the water in the fuel tank it has been in my experience with mitsubishi vehicles that water in the gas tank would exhibit a concern more so than just during the first few minutes of warm-up cycle. i have not tried a gas drier myself and have also run octane booster especially days at the trank and haven't seen much of a change in the vehicles behavior. my wife is also experiencing the same issue with her (that i had noticed).

hopefully if everyone is still having this issue if the nissan dealer locally in md can figure this out we can all have a resolve. now i do remember one of the guys at nissan reading up and i don't know if heard him correctly but there is a normal fuel cut build into the system on these vehicles. i don't know if he was talking specifically about the nismo or all vq35hr's in general. at first i thought i had a wheel bearing going out because i was having a similar issue prior with the vehicle when i had a wheel bearing going out. unfortunately all the wheel bearings where tight and of course was not the issue.

oxygen sensor is a possible causes, as i do agree w/ the tps theory, the maf theory. all of these components could act up and not cause a code to come on. just a matter of time on pinpointed the root failure. will keep everyone posted on my progress this coming week with nissan and again hopefully we can get some resolve

(driving 2007 nismo z with approx 15,000 miles on it, using 93 octane with occassional octane booster, and currently running motul v300 since track day)
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Ataru074

same stuff here... but I have stock intakes... I tried:
1) really cold start... 10/20 seconds is ok.. than start jerking
2) wait 2 minutes with engine idling... you start moving and starts jerking
3) wait 2 minutes with engine idling and try to rev the engine.. start jerking also with clutch engaged and disengaged

drive 30 seconds/1 minute... and disappear.

I just don't want to destroy my engine because we are running too lean.

Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up