Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Camshaft Position Sensor Problem - 2004 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 AM
phittel1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months ago I was getting the p0345 error code, after doing some research on here and on other sites I decided to change both cam sensors. One is the angled and the other is straight. I've read all kinds of posts saying "You have to remove the intake and throttle body." for the sensor on the drivers side of the car. I did not take it off. I was able to reach it from the passenger side ofthe engine. The only difficult part was getting the connector off without seeing it (only by feel) All together it took about 15-20minutes to change both. I had purchased Beck/Arnley aftermarket sensors and the car started right up but started throwing other codes (p0021 cam actuator was one of them). After the first time I started the car it did not start again. So as I had read on one of the posts on here I just cleaned the original sensors and put them back in and I have not had a problem since. No hard starts, no codes and no engine stuttering like before I cleaned them. Hopefully this can help someone else, it may be worth the effort to clean them before shelling out for new sensors.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM
wesismyhero

Just curious, what did you use to clean them with? I will prob use Maf cleaner.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 PM
phittel1

Originally Posted by wesismyhero
Just curious, what did you use to clean them with? I will prob use Maf cleaner.
I cleaned them with brake cleaner on a rag, still no problems...
Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
silvestri88

Hey guys, been a lonnggg time since I've posted on this site. I drive a 2007 350z and today I had to get the damn thing towed 50 miles from the city to my house. As soon as I hit the highway (yeah, I tend to go kinda fast) I got the SLIP light, my motor began to sputter, the car was shaky, the accelerator was half-*** responsive, and felt as if it was going to stall. I pulled over and put on my hazards. Oil level was fine so I assumed it was the alternator. 10-15 minutes later I tried to start it car again and nothing. I have been having trouble starting the car at times the past couple of months. I always just assumed it was the battery dying since I've never replaced it since I bought the car back in 2008. Do these issues sound like the 2 sensors you all are talking about or something else? If so, do you guy's think I should take both driver and passenger sensor out and clean them (if they have oil on them) before I buy new ones?

Last edited by silvestri88; 03-21-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
silvestri88

Am I the only one who can't see G37's post?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes, it does sound like the problem Z owners have with these sensors.

And, No... Do not attempt cleaning defective equipment. You should replace this equipment.

--Spike
Originally Posted by silvestri88
Hey guys, been a lonnggg time since I've posted on this site. I drive a 2007 350z and today I had to get the damn thing towed 50 miles from the city to my house. As soon as I hit the highway (yeah, I tend to go kinda fast) I got the SLIP light, my motor began to sputter, the car was shaky, the accelerator was half-*** responsive, and felt as if it was going to stall. I pulled over and put on my hazards. Oil level was fine so I assumed it was the alternator. 10-15 minutes later I tried to start it car again and nothing. I have been having trouble starting the car at times the past couple of months. I always just assumed it was the battery dying since I've never replaced it since I bought the car back in 2008. Do these issues sound like the 2 sensors you all are talking about or something else? If so, do you guy's think I should take both driver and passenger sensor out and clean them (if they have oil on them) before I buy new ones?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM
silvestri88

Originally Posted by Spike100
Yes, it does sound like the problem Z owners have with these sensors.

And, No... Do not attempt cleaning defective equipment. You should replace this equipment.

--Spike
That's what I was thinking, but it seems people had better results simply cleaning their sensors? I'm still uncertain where exactly the sensors are located. Should I be replacing the driver and passenger side at the same time just to be certain? I have a car lift, so if someone could tell/show me how to access them from the bottom I'd love you forever. Also, does anyone know a site to purchase both?

I found this: http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...950+4294963018

But that appears to only be one of them (not sure which side).

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 AM
silvestri88

Can anyone provide me with better pictures of where to locate the driver and passenger sensors? I have a car lift. Would it be easier for me to access these sensors from underneath the car? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated as my car is out of order at the moment.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:09 PM
silvestri88

Managed to find the camshaft position sensors and bought new ones (just to be safe). Does anyone know where the crankshaft position sensor is on a 2007 350z? Also, what other sensors are there? Auto zone was saying something about 4 sensors?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM
angel700

resurrecting this. to help us with the sensors i think its better to describe them

example sensor from passenger side is straight and driver is crooked.
or with the part numbers.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:26 PM
silvestri88

Originally Posted by angel700
resurrecting this. to help us with the sensors i think its better to describe them

example sensor from passenger side is straight and driver is crooked.
or with the part numbers.
Not on the 07+ (dual throttle body). Mines a 2007 and both sensors are identical (straight). I was just curious if anyone knew where the other sensors where located.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Fitz Grant

my ´03 350z started today with the same problem. SES + TCS + SLIP light. I took my car to the garage and connected the scan getting error code P0345 "malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for camshaft position sensor "A", (Bank 2)". They took out both sensors (passenger & driver´s side), they have them cleaned, reset the ECU but issue with the lights persists and the shutdown of the car persists. I have been reading a lot of forums today and I found about the recall. The recall said they recommend to replace Camshaft and crankshaft sensors and in some cases times the variable timing control sensors.

My car is located in Panama so i´m not sure if I could apply the recall option. Regardless of that i will try calling the 1-800 number on monday. I found the parts on "nissan parts zone".

I just want that someone who had this problem and gotten fixed, tell me that changing the sensors will solve the issue. I have read a lot of opinions and some people said they got it fixed, others said they don´t.

thanks in advance for sharing your experience... regards
Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Spike100

My fix was replacing the driver side Camshaft Position Sensor, the passenger side Camshaft Position Sensor, and the Crankshaft Position Sensor on my 2003 350Z. Initially I replaced only the Camshaft Position Sensor(s), but the problem continued until I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. After doing that, the car ran perfectly.

Recently I’m seeing the code for the Oxygen Sensor, so I’ll be replacing this next.

--Spike
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Fitz Grant

that´s exactly what i need to hear. Thanks Spike100. I found them on this link. I´m planning to order the 3 of them tomorrow.

Did you get yours directly from Nissan? or you bought 3rd party sensors?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Spike100

^^ The dealership supplied the sensors.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 PM
bishop_98

I went ahead and replaced both sensors since i was replacing the valve covers. I unpluged the harness completely on drivers side for clearance to get the new valve cover on, which also means i have the sensor and plug exposed. However, i can't get the plug reconnected to the sensor. I push it in, but no click. WTH....

The passanger side wasn't that difficult, but this is the only issue i'm having on teh driver side. Any reccomentations? The green connector seems to be spring-loaded; it is in the back position currently. i try to insert the sensor, then push the green clip inward hoping it clicks, but it just kicks the sensor back out.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Executive 350z

Originally Posted by Spike100
My fix was replacing the driver side Camshaft Position Sensor, the passenger side Camshaft Position Sensor, and the Crankshaft Position Sensor on my 2003 350Z. Initially I replaced only the Camshaft Position Sensor(s), but the problem continued until I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. After doing that, the car ran perfectly.

Recently I’m seeing the code for the Oxygen Sensor, so I’ll be replacing this next.

--Spike
I have the same problem after replacing bank 1 cam and crank I still had a delayed start. Need to replace bank to and the wiring which I know is the oxygen sensor because mines seemed melted.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Spike100

^^ Oddly, before I got around to changing the Oxygen Sensor (the SES light went on and the code I pulled was faulty Oxygen Sensor) the SES light went out and the car returned to normal operation.

It’s been 3 months with perfect operation so I’m not replacing the O2 sensor for now.

--Spike
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
bermudwj

Had same issue with the service engine soon and slip light and car idle acting up so i read on this form so i change out the camshaft both it was easy i got them both out in less then thirty min and got both of them out from the passenger side once the screw was loose i unscrew it with my hands then wiggle the sensor out and i clean them with maf spray and also decited to clean maf sensor as well and put it back in and before i turn on the car i reset the ecu and fixed the problem nothing so far so cleaning cam sensor should be done first and maf before buying new ones. both sensor can be reach by passenger side

Last edited by bermudwj; 07-09-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 PM
bermudwj

Also sensor had oil so i guess its normal

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor Problem - 2004 350Z