Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Worst 350z Clutch Pedal Squeak/Creak

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:14 AM
MagPulMyMag

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worst 350z Clutch Pedal Squeak/Creak

Hey, guys well after some searching here on the forums its seems this a common problem that plagues our cars, however id like to post my video of my clutch pedal its pretty horrendous.
Here is the description from the video i posted "This is believed to be coming from a rubber grommet within the firewall for the clutch linkage, the pedal itself has been thoroughly lubed with bearing grease at the pivot points so its not the problem. Happens a lot on hot summer days not so much when the weather is temperate."

I really need to solve this.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:01 PM
RacingBlack350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, not a big deal but a really annoying and embarrassing almost when I have someone in the car. I may just take the pedal apart some time and replace all the rubber pieces.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

I also have this issue. What piece is it exactly that causes the squeak? Because mine has gotten significantly worse over the past few months. Can it actually be replaced without buying a whole new clutch pedal assembly?
Old 09-09-2014, 04:35 PM
RacingBlack350Z

Originally Posted by craig12895
I also have this issue. What piece is it exactly that causes the squeak? Because mine has gotten significantly worse over the past few months. Can it actually be replaced without buying a whole new clutch pedal assembly?
I'm not too sure, I was thinking about just taking the pieces to O'Reilly's hoping they would have replacements. If you get upside down in the seat you can see the joints way up at the top. I've used silicone lubricant multiple times, but within a month it comes back. I highly doubt you have to buy a new clutch assembly, that would be over the top for something so small.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

i would get some spray lithium grease and hit everywhere that moves
Old 09-09-2014, 05:10 PM
craig12895

Originally Posted by RacingBlack350Z
I'm not too sure, I was thinking about just taking the pieces to O'Reilly's hoping they would have replacements. If you get upside down in the seat you can see the joints way up at the top. I've used silicone lubricant multiple times, but within a month it comes back. I highly doubt you have to buy a new clutch assembly, that would be over the top for something so small.
Ive gotten under the dash and pushed the pedal in and i can't find an exact spot that it is coming from. And yes a new clutch assembly seems over the top, but I wouldn't put that past nissan
Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 PM
RacingBlack350Z

Yea I use the stealership for diagnosis of problems, never for work or parts. I never take their advice without backup from this site.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get one of these.

Fix whatever is creaking AND greatly improve the feel of your clutch.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine/5911...50z-g35-s.html
Old 09-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

MagPul, this squeak is coming from the Clutch fork as it pivots over the ball stud.

You need to get under the car, pull back the rubber boot in the bell housing and using a strong light and some contortionist moves locate the pivot ball under the clutch fork lever and lubricate it. The guy who did mine used a stiff acid brush to reach in and force some anti seize lubricant between the clutch fork lever and the ball. I guess in a pinch you could use some wheel bearing grease. Don’t just randomly spray oil into the bell housing, as it will make a mess on the clutch assembly.

The clutch fork lever works against the very heavy clutch pressure plate spring so don’t wait too long before remedying this, as without lubricant the pivot ball will take a beating.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:40 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
MagPul, this squeak is coming from the Clutch fork as it pivots over the ball stud.

You need to get under the car, pull back the rubber boot in the bell housing and using a strong light and some contortionist moves locate the pivot ball under the clutch fork lever and lubricate it. The guy who did mine used a stiff acid brush to reach in and force some anti seize lubricant between the clutch fork lever and the ball. I guess in a pinch you could use some wheel bearing grease. Don’t just randomly spray oil into the bell housing, as it will make a mess on the clutch assembly.

The clutch fork lever works against the very heavy clutch pressure plate spring so don’t wait too long before remedying this, as without lubricant the pivot ball will take a beating.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:11 AM
craig12895

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2

So you're saying there is no noise coming from the actual clutch pedal assembly but rather its coming from the trans?
Old 09-10-2014, 03:12 AM
travlee
Master

the way i heard it, it was inside the car....
Old 09-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Craig, you can confirm this diagnosis by getting someone to push the clutch pedal down and then let it up slowly. Crouch down just behind the left front wheel and listen for a squeak coming from underneath the car. You can just see the area where the slave cylinder pushes on the end of the clutch fork. The squeak will be coming from the pivot ball hidden behind the rubber cover on the bell housing.

This is a common maintenance item on many makes and models of cars using this type of clutch linkage. We lubed mine after 10 years service when it had just the faintest squeak. (preventive maintenance)
Old 09-10-2014, 09:02 AM
craig12895

Im with Trav, I thought it was inside but you are obviously talking from experience.
Within the next month, Im getting a new trans and clutch. Will that fix it? Otherwise I should obviously lube mine while its going through that maintenance
Old 09-10-2014, 09:06 AM
travlee
Master

get a new pivot ball.... they are cheap and they do wear down
Old 09-10-2014, 09:11 AM
craig12895

Originally Posted by travlee
get a new pivot ball.... they are cheap and they do wear down
Ok so you confirmed for me that it is the pivot ball and not the rubber pieces. Well the JWT clutch kit comes with a new pivot ball so my problem should be solved.
Thanks for the advice. OP sorry I kinda jacked the thread but hopefully all the info helped you too
Old 09-10-2014, 09:13 AM
travlee
Master

put anti-seize on it before placing the clutch fork back on it
Old 09-10-2014, 05:39 PM
MagPulMyMag

Originally Posted by travlee
the way i heard it, it was inside the car....
Well to clarify some things after this video was posted i had a friend press and depress the pedal and i put my head "in" the engine bay it defiantly isn't coming from inside the car. It is probably coming from underneath like the previous poster said.

Also guys thanks for the flood of posts on here, one day i look and it is barren, the next there is like 20.

Last edited by MagPulMyMag; 09-10-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:44 PM
MagPulMyMag

Originally Posted by NismoDude
Get one of these.

Fix whatever is creaking AND greatly improve the feel of your clutch.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine/5911...50z-g35-s.html
$250 Ouch! Though after looking at this system the build quality does seem to be immaculate, Damn it now your making me want to go and spend more money!
Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM
travlee
Master

spray lithium grease on all parts that move on the pedal under the dash....

Quick Reply: Worst 350z Clutch Pedal Squeak/Creak