Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Slave Cylinder Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 12:39 AM
Cloud Nothings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Slave Cylinder Issues?

Hey guys, I've been reading up on the forums all day today trying to solve my issue!

So basically, I was driving my 03 350z track trim to work and when I pressed the clutch pedal in, it would not return. I researched the issue and thought it would be the clutch master cylinder, so I replaced it but I still have the issue after replacing the fluids. One thing that stood out to me though, is that the slave cylinder looked a bit off, in that the "pin" or whatever you would call the part that is covered by the boot and hits what I BELIEVE is the clutch "engager?" on the side of the tranny, is bent weirdly. Attached is a picture of it, it only just leaked the clutch fluid after i squeezed the boot. Do I need to replace the slave cylinder? Is this how it's supposed to look, at that weird angle?
Thanks!

Also side note, what is that black plate thing that appears to be covering my slave cylinder? Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Slave Cylinder Issues?-img_20170308_225709.jpg   Clutch Slave Cylinder Issues?-img_20170308_225543.jpg   Clutch Slave Cylinder Issues?-img_20170308_225350.jpg   Clutch Slave Cylinder Issues?-img_20170308_225346.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
FranborghiniZ33 (08-16-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 03:31 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

it is fooked, it is supposed to be straight...... replace it. the cover is to protect it

Old 03-09-2017, 05:30 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I've never worked on an early car (mine is an '08, so it has a different setup), but of the pushrod on the slave is at that angle, it would seem to indicate the clutch release fork isn't in its correct position. I'm going to guess there is an internal pivot that is broken, and just replacing the slave isn't going to fix the problem.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:32 AM
travlee
Master

you might be right....

op, when under the car can you move the fork all around, or just pivot it as it should
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Cloud Nothings

Originally Posted by travlee
you might be right....

op, when under the car can you move the fork all around, or just pivot it as it should
I've come to the conclusion that its the fork, I've tried repositioning it properly so it pushes back against the slave cylinder rod, but I can't seem to find the sweet spot. Can anyone guide me in this?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 PM
dcains

You're not getting it. The pivot ball is broken. CZP sells a kit with an upgraded system for the '03 cars:

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...z33_p_7023.php

So does Z1:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...ll-p-6518.html

https://www.z1motorsports.com/trans-...it-p-5400.html
Old 03-09-2017, 09:45 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
You're not getting it. The pivot ball is broken. CZP sells a kit with an upgraded system for the '03 cars:

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...z33_p_7023.php

So does Z1:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...ll-p-6518.html

https://www.z1motorsports.com/trans-...it-p-5400.html

This...

But, you ALSO need a slave cylinder. The fact that fluid is leaking means the seal is toast.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Cloud Nothings

Originally Posted by i8acobra
This...

But, you ALSO need a slave cylinder. The fact that fluid is leaking means the seal is toast.
I replaced both the master cylinder and the slave cylinder only to realize what the above were talking about, that the clutch release fork is broken. It moves around instead of just pivoting, and I believe the reason is that not only is it the weak stamped steel one found in '03 models, as I have read, but the previous owner also replaced the clutch with a stage 2 clutch and it may have assisted in breaking the fork faster.

My next step is to order a better fork, I'm not sure what else I need. Would it be best to take this to a mechanic and have it done? What kinda price would I be looking at? (I live in Orange county, socal)
Old 03-09-2017, 10:51 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

The tranny has to come off. It's possible to do it in your driveway. Many of us have done it, but it's no fun. I think standard labor time for a Z tranny R&R is about 5 hours.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by i8acobra
The tranny has to come off. It's possible to do it in your driveway. Many of us have done it, but it's no fun. I think standard labor time for a Z tranny R&R is about 5 hours.
Absolutely. It is possible to do by yourself, but it's a huge PITA on jack stands without a lift. I replaced my clutch/flywheel last year in a single car garage on stands and it was not fun. If you do end up tackling the job, this write-up should help.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...wt-clutch.html
Old 03-10-2017, 09:00 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by Cloud Nothings
I replaced both the master cylinder and the slave cylinder only to realize what the above were talking about, that the clutch release fork is broken. It moves around instead of just pivoting, and I believe the reason is that not only is it the weak stamped steel one found in '03 models, as I have read, but the previous owner also replaced the clutch with a stage 2 clutch and it may have assisted in breaking the fork faster.

My next step is to order a better fork, I'm not sure what else I need. Would it be best to take this to a mechanic and have it done? What kinda price would I be looking at? (I live in Orange county, socal)
From looking at other threads, I'm doubtful the fork is broken, and almost sure it's the pivot ball. So, at bare minimum, that's what you need, and I'd buy the $33 hardened one, rather than the original $8 part from Nissan. And, as mentioned already, you need a new slave. That might be all you need. An upgrade to the later cast fork might be nice, and it looks like a different pivot ball is required, so be aware of that. Give Z1 a call and ask them for details.

The following users liked this post:
Cloud Nothings (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:12 AM
Cloud Nothings

Originally Posted by dcains
From looking at other threads, I'm doubtful the fork is broken, and almost sure it's the pivot ball. So, at bare minimum, that's what you need, and I'd buy the $33 hardened one, rather than the original $8 part from Nissan. And, as mentioned already, you need a new slave. That might be all you need. An upgrade to the later cast fork might be nice, and it looks like a different pivot ball is required, so be aware of that. Give Z1 a call and ask them for details.

Thanks a lot man, I went ahead and ordered the pivot ball you suggested, and hopefully that will be the end of my issues. It took me finding this video right here for it to finally click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQ0...youtu.be&t=540

I'm looking at the guide for replacing the clutch (just to help me drop the tranny) and I hope I don't run into any issues considering I have a nismo catback in my car. Hopefully previous owner didn't botch the installation. Again, thank you so much for your help, I'll update all of you if your advice got my car running again!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:05 PM
dcains

You're welcome.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Bernie (NoVA)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be upgrading to the cast iron fork, boot & pivot ball from the '05 cars. Also replace the slave cylinder.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Cloud Nothings

Originally Posted by Bernie (NoVA)
You should be upgrading to the cast iron fork, boot & pivot ball from the '05 cars. Also replace the slave cylinder.
Can you guide me to a source for those parts? Minus the slave cylinder. I can't find the one you're suggesting
Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 AM
travlee
Master

Z1motorsports.com
Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 AM
Bernie (NoVA)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud Nothings
Can you guide me to a source for those parts? Minus the slave cylinder. I can't find the one you're suggesting
Take a look here

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Nis...?categoryId=-1