Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Timmy's 2008 350z HR Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Timmmmmmayyyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timmy's 2008 350z HR Build

HEY GUYS!

So this is my 2008 350z Touring. I bought it in July with 13k miles(currently 19k), drove it around for a few months and decided that I want to turn her into a track car.

With that new goal in mind, here is my progress so far.

Starting Point:

Excuse her for being so dirty.. It's winter here in Chicago!

My thoughts at this point - I can't believe I'm actually doing this..

Took out the rear speakers and little compartments.

OH! I forgot to tell you guys.. I'm stripping her out for obvious reasons AND I'm planning on getting her caged! At first, I will get only the rear section done and after She becomes a track only car, I'll get the door x's and the rest of the cage done.

Along with all of this junk, the amp on the left side was unbolted and taken out. No music anymore

I took maybe a week break from all of this stuff.. I had a lot of work and unfortunately, too little time to work on my car.
I did, however, take the time to order a new Agency Power exhaust! This thing is a beast and I don't regret it for a single moment!

Installed and lookin' sexy! I also did a bumper tuck which really looked awesome!
Total install took me maybe 1hr 30mins.
Hardest part was getting the existing seized exhaust bolts off...
After that, easy as pie!

So here I am a couple days later, back at it again.

One thing that I am currently doing is trying to take out the unnecessary metal from the rear end. Sooo the whole glove compartment and speaker area is going out..

DAMN YOU SPOT WELDS!

This is definitely the hardest part so far. If anyone knows of any good way to cut through spot welds, PLEASE TELL ME.

Okay so this is the spot I'm on right now.

I will be updating the thread as I progress but keep in mind that I am a young college student and do not always have the time to work on this!

Hope you enjoyed so far. Any questions, ASK AWAY!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:38 PM
tommy smith

Default ???????????? that stick looks like from an automatic

I must be mistaken... ????
Old 02-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Timmmmmmayyyy

Originally Posted by tommy smith
I must be mistaken... ????
Hahahaha I knew someone would make a comment about that! But don't worry, the auto to manual swap is coming and will be a separate thread!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 PM
tommy smith

Originally Posted by Timmmmmmayyyy
Hahahaha I knew someone would make a comment about that! But don't worry, the auto to manual swap is coming and will be a separate thread!
So you're going to spend thousands of dollars to make it into a manual trans. Also you're completely stripping the car & putting a roll cage while at the same time(if I'm not mistaken) installed new intakes that I think eliminated the air boxes & now will be getting hot/humid air from under the hood that will reduce H.P. & then you'll go racing. Is that right ????

Well good luck with "the beast"

Last edited by tommy smith; 02-02-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Timmmmmmayyyy

So you're going to spend thousands of dollars to make it into a manual trans. Also you're completely stripping the car & putting a roll cage while at the same time(if I'm not mistaken) installed new intakes that I think eliminated the air boxes & now will be getting hot/humid air from under the hood that will reduce H.P. & then you'll go racing. Is that right ????
Yes SIR! Well intakes were done soon after I got the car.. Didn't really know what I wanted to do yet. I guess you can say they were just for looks. But damn dude, is there a problem lol? Raining on my parade haha
Old 02-03-2015, 05:34 AM
tommy smith

Default Reason

Yes SIR! Well intakes were done soon after I got the car.. Didn't really know what I wanted to do yet. I guess you can say they were just for looks. But damn dude, is there a problem lol? Raining on my parade haha
What triggered my "interest" was because after reading that you found & bought THE BEST 350z (year) made & with ridiculous low mileage and then proceeded & DID rip up a really nice car. At that time it was NOT of my BUSINESS and I was just going to move to another thread but then I realized it was an AUTOMATIC. Something you failed to mention. So I was a bit stunned. Tearing up a lovely car & installing a roll cage is serious stuff. Road racing is something good & also serious but I NEVER heard of a stripped, caged, serious "race car" running with an automatic.

STILL it wasn't my business and then I realized that you also installed intakes that work fine in snowy weather but wouldn't on a normal day and pushing/heating up the car at the track on a racing day. So I GOT CURIOUS and now I know all I need (NO COMMENT) and I'm moving on.......Good luck....
Old 02-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Timmmmmmayyyy

What triggered my "interest" was because after reading that you found & bought THE BEST 350z (year) made & with ridiculous low mileage and then proceeded & DID rip up a really nice car. At that time it was NOT of my BUSINESS and I was just going to move to another thread but then I realized it was an AUTOMATIC. Something you failed to mention. So I was a bit stunned. Tearing up a lovely car & installing a roll cage is serious stuff. Road racing is something good & also serious but I NEVER heard of a stripped, caged, serious "race car" running with an automatic.

STILL it wasn't my business and then I realized that you also installed intakes that work fine in snowy weather but wouldn't on a normal day and pushing/heating up the car at the track on a racing day. So I GOT CURIOUS and now I know all I need (NO COMMENT) and I'm moving on.......Good luck....
Why you gotta be so negative? just because I couldn't pass up the great deal with this automatic, you come here and you're like WOW I can't believe you would do this. All I want to do is post my progress for the people that are interested. Like cmon! You're really killing my motivation here haha! Also, it gives me the opportunity to work on a project like an auto to manual swap. Yeah yeah, if you wanted a manual you should've bought one with it in the first place. I've really heard it all. BUT, if one does go about this swap, I think that they would learn a lot from it. In my opinion, that's what's important.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:50 AM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol. Don't listen to him. It's funny, it sounds like he spent a good chuck of time writing his rant about 'your' car.

Do what you want with your car. Progress looks good. Maybe look into going turbo with the auto in the future? That would change the conversation.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Timmmmmmayyyy

Thank you! ^ And yes I have thought about that but I'm leaning more towards an N/A build. I want to focus mainly on weight, aerodynamics, stability. More power can come later
Old 02-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Tomek350Z

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i like the polish eagle
Old 02-03-2015, 04:43 PM
tommy smith

Default I could swear I posted this- I'm SORRY !!!

Why you gotta be so negative? just because I couldn't pass up the great deal with this automatic, you come here and you're like WOW I can't believe you would do this. All I want to do is post my progress for the people that are interested. Like cmon! You're really killing my motivation here haha! Also, it gives me the opportunity to work on a project like an auto to manual swap. Yeah yeah, if you wanted a manual you should've bought one with it in the first place. I've really heard it all. BUT, if one does go about this swap, I think that they would learn a lot from it. In my opinion, that's what's important.
I acted Bitchy and I'm sorry. I wish you luck & have fun doing this project.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Timmmmmmayyyy

Originally Posted by Tomek350Z
i like the polish eagle
Haha yes! Gotta represent!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Timmmmmmayyyy

I acted Bitchy and I'm sorry. I wish you luck & have fun doing this project.
Thanks man, i appreciate the honesty..
Old 02-03-2015, 07:45 PM
tommy smith

Default I'll make it up to you - DON'T replace your stock headers !!!

Thanks man, i appreciate the honesty..
just replace your CATS with TEST pipes. Replacing headers will give you much aggravation, take time, cost money, & make your car slower.

I know a bit about HR's and I can explain why it's ^^^ true, if you want an explanation. That's only true for 07/08 HR's and 370's...
Old 02-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Timmmmmmayyyy

just replace your CATS with TEST pipes. Replacing headers will give you much aggravation, take time, cost money, & make your car slower.
I would image that headers are a PITA! But I think I'm just gonna wait until I do my emissions check and I'll slap em' on right after
Old 02-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

just keep the a/t, do a transgo shift kit, 3.7 final drive, full bolt ons/tune and you'll be hurting the m/t guy's feelings.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed ^

Your Z would feel like a completely different car.

Don't forget a trans cooler!

Last edited by drvqz33; 02-04-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Timmmmmmayyyy

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
just keep the a/t, do a transgo shift kit, 3.7 final drive, full bolt ons/tune and you'll be hurting the m/t guy's feelings.
Decisions, decisions. Transgo does sound interesting tho but we will see in time I mean is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the swap? Other than the obvious money factor? And time and effort?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:40 AM
essejd

Decisions, decisions. Transgo does sound interesting tho but we will see in time I mean is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the swap? Other than the obvious money factor? And time and effort?
Well.. do you know what you are doing?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,058 Likes on 6,522 Posts

I would image that headers are a PITA! But I think I'm just gonna wait until I do my emissions check and I'll slap em' on right after
get ready to cuss, and wish you didnt do it.... a buddy did his and they took about 10 hours... easier to take the motor out to do it than leaving it in the car.

listen to bmurray, he knows what he is talking about

Quick Reply: Timmy's 2008 350z HR Build