Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

potential new nismo owner...need some input

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 PM
dholroyd26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default potential new nismo owner...need some input

Basically have been car shopping for about a week and a half when i came upon a 2008 350z nismo with 5,136 miles on it ...and no that is not a typo 5,136 miles.....

Mind you i had no idea what a nismo was until i saw this car but i can just say i absoultely fell in LOVE at just the first sight....i have been driving an audi a4 quattro 2.8 5 speed for past 8 years and was seriously considering getting a newer one but went out and looked at a few other options when i just stumbled upon the nismo...i can not say enough how beautiful this car was ....only is that the car is "pull me over" red.....

but i wonder if it is too much as a daily driver? Been reading nothing but awesone reviews and love the idea of having an inclusive car..... butJust wanted some input from this forum as far as if im willing to make the purchase will using it as an everyday car be practical/common/worth it......or is it more fit for just a "toy"....

Thank you in advance for the responses and maybe i will be apart of this forum with a nismo of my own!!! Sway me!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:10 AM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure many here will tell you not to drive it in the snow or similar conditions.

But in nice weather, drive it every day! It's a car. That's what it is made to do so enjoy it as much as you can. Now obviously a 6yr old car with only 5000miles on it has not been driven a lot at all. Have a mechanic THOROUGHLY check it out before buying.

Do you have links or pics to verify that it is an authentic Nismo?

EDIT: If its the one from Middletown Nissan, looks great!

Last edited by 350ZZJoe; 04-11-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 AM
dholroyd26

Originally Posted by 350ZZJoe
I'm sure many here will tell you not to drive it in the snow or similar conditions.

But in nice weather, drive it every day! It's a car. That's what it is made to do so enjoy it as much as you can. Now obviously a 6yr old car with only 5000miles on it has not been driven a lot at all. Have a mechanic THOROUGHLY check it out before buying.

Do you have links or pics to verify that it is an authentic Nismo?

EDIT: If its the one from Middletown Nissan, looks great!
It is the one from middletown nissan but how in the world did you even figure that out and know what part of country im lookin in ? You my salesman spying on me lol?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Texas325

Well, one of the members is selling a NISMO with 1425. Maybe you should check this out too
https://my350z.com/forum/cars-for-sa...tock-mint.html
Old 04-12-2014, 03:27 PM
sickZ31/Z33

A Nismo can definitely be used as a DD, but you have to be able to live with a little bit of a stiff ride, since it's made to be a track car. You're coming from an Audi so it's going to be a big difference in comfortability. You have to think about the roads you drive through every day as well as the weather in your area. I'm in southern California so I have no problem driving mine everyday, even though I only mostly drive it on the weekend since I have my R6 and my wife's M3 (which is really comfortable)... Good luck with your decision.
P.S. If you get it, take it through some twisty roads, and then you'll completely forget about this comfortability BS and never want to stop driving it
Old 04-12-2014, 03:36 PM
sickZ31/Z33

Oh and about it being red, my previous 350Z was red which I owned for about 4.5 years and I only got pulled over like twice the entire time of ownership. So it does attract attention but it's still a Z so you shouldn't be getting unwanted attention from the PO-PO, unless you drive all the time like .. It's not like having a red Honda Civic because then you'll really have a bad time.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 AM
bena1916

I've said this before but a better dd would be a 2007/08 grand touring--better stereo, navi, heated leather seats, and the similar wheels and brembo's. Only missing the suspension set up (which you may or may not appreciate) and the aero pieces. Also the gt would allow some personalizing of the vehicle in the way of suspension and aero that wouldn't make you feel guilty that you were changing something that was already engineered into the vehicle.

But don't get me wrong I really like my nismo and while I don't drive it as a dd for the most part, I have put a few miles on it including some winter driving in colorado and germany (using continental dws'). But to answer your question, yes you can drive it as dd IMHO as long as you recognize it has a very stiff suspension (and you can live with that) and the clutch is a bit of bear in stop and go traffic (I've learned this the hard way on the autobahn, in 4 hour stau's) with its fairly high engagement.

Good luck if you decide to purchase.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 AM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dholroyd26
It is the one from middletown nissan but how in the world did you even figure that out and know what part of country im lookin in ? You my salesman spying on me lol?
Haha I literally Google searched "2008 nismo 350z connecticut" and it was the 4th link down.

The internet is an amazing thing my friend.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Widdey

Good Luck with the buy, I think you can drive it as a DD. It does have a stiff suspension, but it handles and drives like a dream. I don't use mine as a DD, i have a 06 slowbalt SS for my DD, but i have racked up some miles on mine. Mine is sitting at 14,151 right now and i use it for weekend drives only.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:23 PM
sickZ31/Z33

14,151? Damn! You haven't racked up any miles, that's extremely low even for only weekend driving. I'm just under 44k, I wish I was at 14k.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 AM
dholroyd26

Well its official i am a new owner of #1484 with 5,000 miles on it!!!!

Been driving for past 4 days and i can not explain the satisfaction i get from just listening to it start let alone driving it.....i could not be happier and thanks to everyone for their input!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 AM
bena1916

Congratulations on the purchase!

Considering its low miles you might still have the original tires that came with the car. If you do, you might consider replacing them for your first upgrade considering they're probably about 7 years old.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:20 AM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dholroyd26
Well its official i am a new owner of #1484 with 5,000 miles on it!!!!

Been driving for past 4 days and i can not explain the satisfaction i get from just listening to it start let alone driving it.....i could not be happier and thanks to everyone for their input!!!
Congrats! Pics!!!

and FWIW I drive my Nismo about 1/2 the time as a daily driver, and I actually enjoy the taut suspension.

ANY "real" sports car will have a rougher, more connected to the road type of ride. I test drove a Porsche Cayman S last week, and it was even MORE rough riding/ tight suspension than my Nismo.

PS, if you want some real satisfaction from the sound, pick up an S-tune exhaust. I LOVE the sound of mine, it gives it a real exotic car type of sound. kind of a poor man's Ferrari type of wail

Originally Posted by bena1916
Congratulations on the purchase!

Considering its low miles you might still have the original tires that came with the car. If you do, you might consider replacing them for your first upgrade considering they're probably about 7 years old.

I picked up mine 1.5 years ago with 18k miles and it had the original tires. I pretty quickly shredded through the rears and replaced those last summer, the fronts still have a ways to go, and will probably need replacing the same time as my new rears, lol.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:01 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! One thing to note on the Nismo's are the extended front lip. It extends a bit further out so clearance is more of an issue, say on steep driveway entrances and what not.

I agree with NismoDude's comment on the S-Tune. I thoroughly enjoy the sound even more than stock with my S-tune exhaust. The problem is it's getting harder to come by, and it's a pretty penny brand new. They don't make the S-tune's anymore, but I think vendor's still sell them for $1400 and up. I found mine used on this forum for less than half of that.

Post up some pics!
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM
dholroyd26

Previous owner who used it as sunday afternoon joy ride had it garaged for years and the tires produced tire rot in which the dealership gave me 4 new tires as well as 4 new tire pressure censors ...... which is a big plus....

Will adding the s tune exhaust void my warranty ? Its still under 7 years so it came with the warranty......

Pictures coming soon....

Any other suggestions on upgrades ? Or websites that people on here use for extra nismo accesories ?

Thanks for all the responses and happy to apart of the nismo community!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How much did u pay for it? with the extended warranty?

Awesome that they threw in new tires, a set of quality tires exceeds $1k.

To my knowledge, a simple cat back exhaust from any manufacturer should not void your warranty, but you would definitely be safe with an S-tune, as they are the only (to my knowledge) aftermarket exhausts that Nissan dealers actually sell/sold.

From what I've read, intakes are pretty much a waste, except to add to the sound of your car, as the stock airboxes/intakes on the HR were so well designed. Just put in some K&N drop in filters like I did and call it a day.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Sick an Twsd

Start with your bolt ons i.e Intake/K&N Filters, Exhaust and Motordyne ART pipes, than get a tune via UpRev. you think you're in love with the car now.... mods+Tune = <3
Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding my S-tune didn't void my warranty and it shouldn't since it really only changes the note a bit, and maybe a couple hp. Nissan would have to prove their S-tune exhaust negatively affects the car/engine to have a claim in voiding warranty. Actually, after I installed my S-tune, my dealership didn't even notice I had a new exhaust. It looks stock-ish.

If you want to get HFC's, TP's, and/or intakes, get them installed then do a tune (UpRev). Unless there's going to be long periods in between buying these items. Just makes it more cost effective and less hassle getting a tune once, than several.

Any plans for the car?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:35 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to seeing some pics!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 AM
Widdey

Congratz! Can't wait to see the pics.

Quick Reply: potential new nismo owner...need some input