Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

[South Bay]: Upgrading my car at ZCG

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:56 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Upgrading my car at ZCG

I don't post much here but I wanted to let everyone know about what I'm doing to my car over at ZCG, to perhaps help them decide on certain mods. Rob is the owner and a great guy to deal with. I regret to not have brought my car to him for my first batch of upgrades, but it's a lesson learned and I'll know what to do now.

After going into a frenzy of upgrades in the past two months and buying practically every small bolt on possible to my car, I naturally ran out of things to buy. As the itch never stops, I decided to upgrade my already upgraded headers and to change out my OEM camshafts. I chose to go for the Tomei Expreme 2 headers and the Tomei 264/264 camshafts. Tomei's site is very informative and portrays their R&D to be very methodical in developing these products, which made my decision a little easier since I have more of an analytical approach to things. Their products come with a premium price but I am hoping that they are worth it. So far, having the headers in my hands and comparing them to the Strups and Ichiba counterparts, it is night and day. As for the cams, since I ordered them from ZCG I have yet to see them, but I wouldn't expect to see anything as obvious as the headers. If you guys do ever need any parts, give Rob a call or email. I was surprised to find his prices to be quite competitive with online retailers. Plus there is always that cozy secure feeling have a store you can go to if the product is damaged or what not.

To make the numbers more meaningful in the future, here are a list of performance upgrades I currently have on my car prior to taking my car into ZCG for the new headers and cams. I know some parts in the list are debatable upgrades but take it as it is
-Jim Wolf Tech Popcharger
-Stillen Z-Tube
-Motordyne 5/16th Spacer
-Motordyne MREV2
-Ichiba Headers
-Ichiba Test Pipes
-Motordyne XYZ + Resonator
-Motordyne Dual Gamma Exhaust
-Motordyne Coolant Control Valve
-Mishimoto 350Z Radiator
-Mishimoto 350Z Fan Shroud
-Mishimoto 350Z Radiator Hose
-Nismo Low Temperature Thermostat
-Stillen Engine Dampener
-Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulleys
-Unorthodox Racing Flywheel
-Southbend OFE Stage 3 Clutch
-Concept Z SS Clutch Line
-Nismo Pivot Bearing
-SxExCx Ground Kit
-Osiris Tune

Prior and during all of the upgrades I've had a few dyno runs on a Mustang Dynamometer and the numbers came out to be 209HP/183TQ stock and after the list above 258HP/219TQ, for a net gain of 49HP/36TQ. The install was broken down into a few phases so that I can see the gains from each group, so if anyone wants some information let me know and hopefully I can help. For the install at ZCG I'm going to get a new baseline, since the dynomachine is completely different and I now have my 20" (if you guys are interested I have a dyno comparing different rim sizes, the loss are quite eye popping), a dyno after the headers, and lastly another one after the cams.

On to the present day. I dropped my car off this Monday, to get the work done but unfortunately they were not able to get to my car as of yesterday, so perhaps it might be done today or next Monday. I'm waiting next to my phone each day impatiently for Rob to call me and hopefully I'll get a call today.

But for the time being here are the headers out of the box, and the headers after I wrapped and siliconed sealed them (looks like a cacoon now...). I've been meaning to get some photos of my camshafts but keep forgetting once I get to ZCG.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:19 AM
datsunHEAD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guessing the Z is an 03?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:01 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by datsunHEAD
guessing the Z is an 03?
What made you guess that? But you are almost right, I have a 2003 G35C 6MT.

I actually got a call from Rob yesterday (Friday), but sadly it was a call to inform me of the progress and not to come and pick up my car. As it stands today, ZCG completed the compression & leak down test and baseline dyno in.

The test came out to be very positive as both the compression and leak down gave out positive results allowing me to securely plan the next upgrade on my VQ. Curiously enough my dyno came back from Rob's machine and gave out numbers that were 259HP/239TQ which is practically identical to my reading HP ready on the Mustang run. This was done on his LC Dynojet with no load, but as for whether or not SAE correction was on, it escaped my mind to ask him. To my surprise, Rob informed that my car's AFR was running amok, running rich and lean, though my previous tune showed very stable readings ranging from 13.6-13.8 after 3200rpm all the way to redline. I'll have to ask Rob to try to log this so that I can investigate this. I do expect to see to see some lean readings at the lowend, which I hope is what he's talking about, but the rich readings are the ones I'm afraid of. Something went wrong with my previous tune or one of the O2 sensor from the dynos I used is not accurate.

Last edited by gabe3d; 06-13-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 AM
06CPV35

Nice list and new plans for ZCG to do.
Mustangs are known to give lower numbers.
Love to know what loss with 20's, being I'm rolling on same with 285/30's and my base numbers were with those.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:06 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Nice list and new plans for ZCG to do.
Mustangs are known to give lower numbers.
Love to know what loss with 20's, being I'm rolling on same with 285/30's and my base numbers were with those.
I ran back to back dynos with the stock 18" and afterwards with the 20".

Axis Zero Wheels
20" x 10" with 275/30/20 = 54.8lbs

OEM wheels with 2003 6MT
18" x 9" (i think) with 245/45/18 = 48.8lbs

Difference in dyno results were 8.8HP/12.3TQ loss at peak horse power. There are losses throughout the entire revband.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:10 PM
gabe3d

Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 PM
06CPV35

Not a clue what weight my oem 19's were nor my 20's now, but all that gives me a general idea of loss. Thanx for the info
Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 AM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Not a clue what weight my oem 19's were nor my 20's now, but all that gives me a general idea of loss. Thanx for the info
If I remember correctly the OEM 19" are very close to weight as the OEM 18", about 1lb more I think. The stock Rays are made with lighter and better material. Even if the 19" are the same exact weight as the 18", the power loss from the 19" will be greater due to the fact that the weight is further away from the axle requiring more force to spin it.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:37 AM
gabe3d

Just an FYI, when I added lighter rotors (-4.5lbs each side), lightweight flywheel (-15lbs), and lightweight pulley(-5.2lbs) I gained 1.5HP/8.1TQ. I believe the gains were mainly attributed to the rotors and not really due to the lighter parts attached on the crankshaft.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 PM
06CPV35

Rob would know for sure about all that.

Post results when ZCG all done.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:46 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, with Rob, nothing to worry about...he'll give you 100$ + every time.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM
gabe3d

Yeah, I'm going to go in on Monday morning to snap some pics and ask him about the dyno results.

WSchli1672,

Thanks for answering all the PMs I had with you about the Vortech. Looks like after this upgrade, the next step will be a Vortech kit. You mentioned that you have gauges on your car for boost, oil pressure, and water pressure. Which brand did you go with? Also any reason why you didn't opt for an AFR?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:07 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Yeah, I'm going to go in on Monday morning to snap some pics and ask him about the dyno results.

WSchli1672,

Thanks for answering all the PMs I had with you about the Vortech. Looks like after this upgrade, the next step will be a Vortech kit. You mentioned that you have gauges on your car for boost, oil pressure, and water pressure. Which brand did you go with? Also any reason why you didn't opt for an AFR?
Very simple answers here... I went to Rob, told him simply the hp I was hoping for and he did the rest. Gauges, I wanted a nice look to the car with color and let Rob picked them (and a good job he did). I really was happy with what he did and got me what I wanted. I believe you know the hp, no need to mention it here, but he did a job worthy of my baby and I now won't let anybody touch my baby, except Rob. My annual run is Sept 19th, so I hope you bring your car down to it. Rob along with ZONC are my supporters in different ways, Rob gave out some great certificates last year for free dyno's at his shop. Now all Z'ers, G35'ers, etc. like those, not to mention all the great prizes that ZONC give out. What for the Thread, it'll be out soon.

Anyway, you got a great shop working on your car now...and I'll bet you just can't wait to get it back. (But let Rob take his time, he'll have it like a jewel). Anticipation is the best medicine in the world next to actually driving it.
Warren
Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 PM
gabe3d

I called Rob this morning but he was short handed today, so he asked me to come by tomorrow instead.

I'll take some pics and ask him the questions I have lingering in my mind tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that your black G at the shop? I saw it on the dyno on Friday.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
gabe3d

Just got back from ZCG and got some answers about the dyno results.

1. All of the dynos he has performed are SAE corrected.
2. The readings for AFR from his wideband on the Dynojet is not reliable, sometimes high sometimes low, therefore he doesn't use it or show it on his dynos.
3. He uses an Innovative Motorsports O2 wideband device to monitor AFR. He's still working out the nicks and knacks to get that working with the Dynojet.

Looks like my car is gonna be in there for a while, but it'll be done by the end of this week. Almost two weeks for the install of both is longer then I have wished for, but I'm in no rush. One thing though, is that I got my Dyno sheet with MPH on the X-axis, have to ask him to give me another one with RPM instead.

Originally Posted by scotts300
Is that your black G at the shop? I saw it on the dyno on Friday.
Nope, I wish. I think that one has a turbo or SC on it, not sure which, just saw the intercooloer. I have the slow blue one
Old 06-16-2009, 02:39 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Nope, I wish. I think that one has a turbo or SC on it, not sure which, just saw the intercooloer. I have the slow blue one
I must have mistaken the color, because the G I'm referring to made 258rwhp and had the MD exhaust. It sure did sound good, and you made 1rwhp more than me!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by scotts300
I must have mistaken the color, because the G I'm referring to made 258rwhp and had the MD exhaust. It sure did sound good, and you made 1rwhp more than me!
You just got owned!!! 1hp higher!!! Haha, that's me, or at least my car, that you saw.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:53 PM
gabe3d

scotts300,

do you have a dyno graph of your run?

Here is the dyno with MPH while I wait for the one in RPM?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

You just got owned!!! 1hp higher!!! Haha, that's me, or at least my car, that you saw.
Awesome! We should do a roll-on for fun. G vs Z! Back when I had an 04' G35SC MT6, I rolled my now-wife's Z33ZR, and they were dead even. Both cars were stock minus intakes. I asked for a few overlays of my dynos, so ZCG was working on them.

Quick Reply: [South Bay]: Upgrading my car at ZCG