Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

APEXi AFC Neo: throttle and knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:56 AM
frogeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question APEXi AFC Neo: throttle and knock sensor?

Hi all,
I have just installed an AFC Neo on my 350Z:
I set the configuration to
1 cylinder, throttle up/
HotWire 26-26 single-single

All seems to work good, but I have 2 question about:

When I connect the AFC throttle cable (grey) to the ECU I use the APP sensor (Accelerator Pedal Position, pin 106, green-orange) as the Japanese manual say, but I read in the USA manual that the connection is with the TP sensor (Throttle Position, pin 50, green): which one I have to use for the best result?

Many sites writes that AFC Neo has a knock sensor, but I don't find which cable I have to connect to the knock cable of the ECU (pin 15): is it the purple one as shown in the SAFC II manual?

Bye!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:26 AM
Chocodka@aol.co

So you're running the Hotwire 26In/26Out?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:55 AM
johnny_domino

I connected the AFC throttle wire (gray) to ECU PIN 50 (green) and it works fine. When calibrating the throttle closed and open positions, remember to turn the car to the on position (do not have the engine running) and put the car into "1st" gear ("D" for an automatic). Then the AFC Neo will be able to read the throttle voltage.

I have tried both 26 In/Out and 18 In/Out for Hotwire Sensor numbers and niether have worked yet (at least for my Z). We will figure this out.

With 26/26 it worked for a little while, then the car starting running into failsafe mode again.

What PIN # did you plug the 2 power wires into? (Red wire and Red w/ White stipe wire?) I tried PIN # 119, but the AFC would never turn off. Is it supposed to stay on all the time?

Last edited by johnny_domino; 08-09-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 AM
first350

Johnny_D, where'd you tap into pin 50? I tapped into it from the engine bay near the battery (where the wiring harness goes through the bulk head and to the ECU) I was hooking up a window/TPS unit for nitrous, but the voltage I get from that wire slowly increasing from 3.1 to 4.0 while at WOT and going from 3K - 6.8K rpms...from the manual, I see that the voltage should be around 4.75 @ WOT (with the engine off, and igntion On)

Do I have the wrong wire? (I know that there's also 'light' & 'dark' green wires from the manual...any pics of the wire you used?)

thanks!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Chocodka@aol.co

How many cylinders are you set to Johnny?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
johnny_domino

Originally Posted by first350
Johnny_D, where'd you tap into pin 50? I tapped into it from the engine bay near the battery (where the wiring harness goes through the bulk head and to the ECU) I was hooking up a window/TPS unit for nitrous, but the voltage I get from that wire slowly increasing from 3.1 to 4.0 while at WOT and going from 3K - 6.8K rpms...from the manual, I see that the voltage should be around 4.75 @ WOT (with the engine off, and igntion On)

Do I have the wrong wire? (I know that there's also 'light' & 'dark' green wires from the manual...any pics of the wire you used?)

thanks!
I tapped the dark green wire into PIN 50 right near the ECU. The throttle works fine as far as I know. It calibrates at 0.7V closed and 4.2V open on the AFC. And I can see it working on the AFC throttle gauge perfectly. I'm pretty sure the throttle wiring is correct.

What PIN did you put the two power supplies on. I initially put them on PIN 119, and the AFC would never shut down. It would even be on with the key out and the engine turn off. Is it like a turbo timer to where it turns off after a few minutes?

Originally Posted by Chocodka@aol.co
How many cylinders are you set to Johnny?
I am set at 1 cyl. It said to set it at "1" for z33 in the AFC Neo manual. Funny that it has no wiring diagram for the 350z but it gives you a cylinder setting. And did you also notice the drawing for ECU locations in the manual. That drawing also happens to be the interior of the 350z.

Anyway, here is a picture of the ECM Input and Output sensors I found in the 03 350z service manual. According to this, I think In/Out for Hotwire should be 26In/11Out. I am not a mechanic though.
Attached Thumbnails APEXi AFC Neo: throttle and knock sensor?-ecm-sensor-count.jpg  
Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Chocodka@aol.co

Got your PM... I'll reply in here...

What your sayin does make sense... but a lot of those input sensors don't apply to the engine.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 AM
johnny_domino

You could be right. But that's where I think the number 26In came from. I am trying to see if I can figure out where your number 18In/18Out came from.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Chocodka@aol.co

Yea, I couldn't tell ya. But it ran like crap when the #s weren't the same (for example 18IN/17Out)...
Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 AM
johnny_domino

Did you just try it? What year Z do you have?

[Editied]
Nevermind, I'm an idiot it says in your signature

Last edited by johnny_domino; 08-09-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:02 AM
first350

[QUOTE=johnny_domino]I tapped the dark green wire into PIN 50 right near the ECU. The throttle works fine as far as I know. It calibrates at 0.7V closed and 4.2V open on the AFC. And I can see it working on the AFC throttle gauge perfectly. I'm pretty sure the throttle wiring is correct.

What PIN did you put the two power supplies on. I initially put them on PIN 119, and the AFC would never shut down. It would even be on with the key out and the engine turn off. Is it like a turbo timer to where it turns off after a few minutes?
QUOTE]

I added a secondary fuse box which is powered by a relay...get's a signal from the rear lighter(ingition has to be On)

I get roughly the same voltages as you...not sure if there's a difference in the wiring color though - I checked the '05 service manual and it said the TPS wire was pin#50, color G (green)...I checked the coloring codes and noticed that there were light and dark green as well...I'm pretty sure I got the right one though.

thanks,
Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Chocodka@aol.co

Originally Posted by johnny_domino
Did you just try it? What year Z do you have?

[Editied]
Nevermind, I'm an idiot it says in your signature
I just recently had to initialize my Neo because the AFC cut off ... So I changed the Hotwire while the car was running (bad), and then it ran good.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 AM
johnny_domino

Originally Posted by first350
I added a secondary fuse box which is powered by a relay...get's a signal from the rear lighter(ingition has to be On)

I get roughly the same voltages as you...not sure if there's a difference in the wiring color though - I checked the '05 service manual and it said the TPS wire was pin#50, color G (green)...I checked the coloring codes and noticed that there were light and dark green as well...I'm pretty sure I got the right one though.

thanks,
So does your AFC ever power down. The problem I was having is when I connected it to the iginition power that is instructed for the AFCII instructions the Neo would never power down. Then I went the same route you did and found a power supply that did shut down. I figure power is power, maybe I'm wrong. Do you have both power wires (Red and Red/White) touching or seperate.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:28 PM
first350

Originally Posted by johnny_domino
So does your AFC ever power down. The problem I was having is when I connected it to the iginition power that is instructed for the AFCII instructions the Neo would never power down. Then I went the same route you did and found a power supply that did shut down. I figure power is power, maybe I'm wrong. Do you have both power wires (Red and Red/White) touching or seperate.

*I don't have an AFC...I'm useing a TPS/window switch for a Nitrous application. Tapping into different power sources should be okay - things to think about: when is it Hot (always ON, ingition ON...), the fuse size for that line (I'm only useing the lighter as a trigger for my relay, which gets power from a fused line directly from the battery)

I used Pin 50 for TPS, and Pin 62 for RPM.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Chocodka@aol.co

Did you guys get it figured out?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
johnny_domino

Not yet, this Saturday I am going to redo all of the wiring and solder them together for a more secure connection. Then I am going to investigate the power supply problem. I'll post back on Saturday or Sunday with my results.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Chocodka@aol.co

Sounds good, good luck...
Old 08-10-2006, 06:44 PM
al_v

I have installed my Apexi SAFC2 according to this diagram , and works perfect
Attached Thumbnails APEXi AFC Neo: throttle and knock sensor?-dec032.jpg  
Old 08-12-2006, 08:26 PM
johnny_domino

FINALLY! I think I got it. Everthing hooked up and working properly (for now). For the next few days I am going to be monitoring the system to see if I notice any defects. My settings are currently at 18in/18Out, and it seems to be working fine. I'll post back here in one week with any noticable changes. Thanks to first350, al v, and frogeye for your assistance. Special thanks to Chocodka@aol.co for his numbers and his patience with all my questions. If everything goes okay in the next week, I will post a write-up/how-to on the install. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Chocodka@aol.co

Just got your PM but looks like you got it. Hope you like the results.

Quick Reply: APEXi AFC Neo: throttle and knock sensor?