Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Installed atmosphere dump, huge problem.... big time overboost. read.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:26 PM
ipcheck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed atmosphere dump, huge problem.... big time overboost. read.

Hey guys, right after the Nissan Meet down here in Florida I had a long drive home with no AC

I decided to replace the AC line this afternoon, and take advantage of the fact that I had to remove the turbo kit, in order to change the line. I also took the time to build my own atmosphere dump for the turbonetics kit. Which in fact has brought me serious problems.

And, uhh, the results...

I go out for a test drive, everything feels right, AC blasts cold. No leaks, no rattles, no weird issues. I take off and come to a blasting 20+ psi of boost... car pulled hard, spun tires, crazy boost, and then all of a sudden the car turned off. I started it back up and all of a sudden I couldn't accelerate over 2k RPM. What is this supposed to mean? No check engine light, nothing buy 2k RPM and if I push the throttle it would cut the fuel. I'm thinking some sort of SAFE mode?

Well I went back home at 15 mph... and turned the car off, checked for vacum leaks, checked everything. Started the car back up and everything was back to normal. The car sounds like a beast, moves like a beast, but I cant floor it . The boost flies past the 8.5psi it's supposed to be at... Someone Help! The wrapping on the pipes helped a LOT I must say.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Fairlady_z33

Dam you got lucky man r u using a boost controller. Hop eyou can resolve this soon.

BTW i got my WG dumps let me know to see if you can give me a hand installing this suckers
Old 04-02-2006, 12:58 AM
calimarc

You definately went into safe mode with the MAF. The unichip has an adjustment to allow for more air coming into the motor without this sensor freaking out and putting you into "limp mode". Mot sure how you can adjust this with the TN kit.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:55 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

yeah sounds like you went into limp mode. Sounds like your WG is not dumping and probably pushed a ton of air through the MAF.
Can you hear the WG? It should be LOUD if its dumping to atmosphere.
Are you still using the TN WG with the STOCK spring?
I don't know exactly what you did to dump to atmosphere but apparently the WG is just staying closed and not letting off any boost.
you custom job is messed up

Last edited by 35ounces; 04-02-2006 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:11 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, you pushed more air through than the maf wanted to read, sends you into limp mode till you turn it off. there is only one direction the wastegate wants to flow correctly. check to make sure you have it right.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:35 AM
Peking

Originally Posted by 35ounces
yeah sounds like you went into limp mode. Sounds like your WG is not dumping and probably pushed a ton of air through the MAF.
Can you hear the WG? It should be LOUD if its dumping to atmosphere.
Are you still using the TN WG with the 8.5psi spring?
I don't know exactly what you did to dump to atmosphere but apparently the WG is just staying closed and not letting off any boost.
you custom job is messed up
The Evolution Wastegate for our kit comes with a 9 psi spring which results in 8 psi.

So to the starter of the thread, you "took the time to build my own atmosphere dump for the turbonetics kit"... Well you def. did something very wrong somewhere, how about some pics of what you did?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:28 AM
ipcheck

Thw wastegate is dumping very loud guys. I have the turbonetics piping, what I did was I sealed the dump flange on the turbo downpipe with a seal flange.

I grabbed the small pipe that comes with the kit to dump into the exhaust, I flipped the wastegate downwards instead of upwards, and installed this tube on there, then cut it to my desired size, and since it's flexible, I flexed it towards the back driver side of the car.

The dump is working perfect, it sounds like a NASCAR when it goes into boost, but it goes over 0.6 BAR very easy.

Let me know whats up. I hit 1.6 bar yesterday =(
Old 04-02-2006, 09:31 AM
ipcheck

Originally Posted by Fairlady_z33
Dam you got lucky man r u using a boost controller. Hop eyou can resolve this soon.

BTW i got my WG dumps let me know to see if you can give me a hand installing this suckers
Oye call me up, we can do them this afternoon. Give me a call. =)
Old 04-02-2006, 09:37 AM
diablo25mn

Mike,
Check your vacuum lines (make sure they aren't backwards), your wastegate is staying closed. It being open dump or not has nothing to do with the overboosting. Remember that the 9psi spring just makes that the bare min you can boost. What did you have controlling boost before? Check to see if the wastegate spring isn't stuck in the closed position, i've had it stuck open in the past with my old car. If you have any other problems give me a call, its been awhile since I've had a turbo vehicle but I had every problem plus the kitchen sink. -Ramiro
Old 04-02-2006, 09:49 AM
taurran

What kind of boost controller are you running? Did you install it at the same time as the wastegate dump pipe?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:50 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Well if the WG is working then I think that the problem is probably the same as the original over boost problem. The WG is not flowing enough because of the location. Check out the thread on here https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=mystery+ages about the TN overboost issue. There is a WG relocation kit to fix it. OR you could move it to a similar location the way JETPILOT did (there is also thread on that here somewhere).
Old 04-02-2006, 09:55 AM
MIAPLAYA

Make sure when you flipped the wastegate you didn't install the vacuum line on the worng port on the wastegate. It should be going to the port farthest away from the Turobnetics logo...
Old 04-02-2006, 10:10 AM
ipcheck

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Make sure when you flipped the wastegate you didn't install the vacuum line on the worng port on the wastegate. It should be going to the port farthest away from the Turobnetics logo...
Well the vacum line is in the same port it was before I flipped it towards down. Why would I change that

Help me out.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:41 PM
chimmike

eliminate one thing at a time. Take off the boost controller. Then see what happens.

btw.....I'm sorry but I have to say this. Why would you put such POS shatty springs on such a nice car? dropzone springs=SHAT.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:12 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

He never said he was using a boost controller.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:38 PM
5thgenluder

I had a similar problem on my greddy kit and i was because i had the vacuum line on the wrong port of the wastegate. I know that was already said but make sure also make sure its not loose or cracked. I know with the greddy relocation kits it came with new vacuum hose cause the stock wasnt long enough. maybe in your install you pulled it loose or cracked or tore it. be carefull and keep an eye on that boost gauge.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:46 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by 35ounces
He never said he was using a boost controller.
Oh. It was brought up above. I guess that was sarcasm...

I'd have to agree with the solutions presented so far.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:53 PM
ipcheck

Originally Posted by chimmike
eliminate one thing at a time. Take off the boost controller. Then see what happens.

btw.....I'm sorry but I have to say this. Why would you put such POS shatty springs on such a nice car? dropzone springs=SHAT.
To be honest with you, I removed TEIN to install dropzone, had dropzone and installed TEIN's to see what it was, hight as **** in the rear, rode the same. Swapped back to dropzone.

Dropzone = 10+ for me.

Thank you.
What's so ****ty about them? NAME? lol...

Oh well, perhaps one day they are as famous as TEIN, and just because they are made in America they aren't good?

Hehe...
Good thought though, thanks!
Old 04-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Soundeffects

dropzone=local dirtysouth products!
Old 04-02-2006, 06:22 PM
ipcheck

Problem fixed. I used a ribbed pipe which was easy to bend for the dump, the ribs were holding the extra boost, and I guess that's why I was overboosting. I used another pipe (non ribbed) and now boost is corrected to 9psi.

Pictures...

Old Pipe...

Problem fixer...

Quick Reply: Installed atmosphere dump, huge problem.... big time overboost. read.