Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UR pulley install instructions with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 10:25 PM
xZlr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up UR pulley install instructions with pics!

Here's some pics of my UR crank pulley install. Took about 30 minutes and was very simple. Here's the tools i used:

10mm socket (to remove the underbody)
19mm 1/2 6pt socket (for the crank pulley bolt)
14mm socket (for the tensioner bolt)
12mm socket (for the tensioner adjustment bolt)
18'' 1/2 breaker bar
1/2 torque wrench
anti-seize
two jack stands
I used the belt sizes recommended by UR in their instructions and they worked great. Your local auto parts store will have them in various brands.

Place the car in 6th gear. After you put the car on jack stands, take the underbody off and when you look up into the engine compartment this is what you'll see. Get a buddy, girlfriend, wife or whatever to sit in the car and press the break HARD!!!. It's gonna take a lot of force to get this bolt off but it will come off with the breaker bar. So, with the breaker bar and 19mm socket on the bolt at the red arrow pull hard! The engine will turn but the bolt will come off (it may take a few readjustments of your breaker bar).
Next, loosen the 14mm bolts signified by the blue arrows (sorry, my camera couldn't get all three in one photo but you get the point). These wont be nearly as tough as the crank bolt.
Attached Thumbnails UR pulley install instructions with pics!-crankntens2.jpg  

Last edited by xZlr8; 06-14-2003 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:35 PM
xZlr8

Now use your 12mm socket on the bolt marked with the green arrow. This is the tensioner adjustment bolt and turning it counter-clockwise will loosen your belts. Check the tension in the stock belts beforehand to know how much tension to put back on them in the end. You'll obviously need to do this for both of your tensioners. You'll have to loosen the 14mm bolts on the tensioner itself as described in the previous step before this or it wont move.
Attached Thumbnails UR pulley install instructions with pics!-ta2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2003, 11:01 PM
xZlr8

Now just loosen the tesioners enough to remove the stock belts (remember how the belts are arranged so you can put the new ones on correctly), remove the crank pulley bolt and then with constant yet gentle pressure remove the stock crank pulley (it will come off without pullers so don't waste your time renting them). Place some anti-seize on the inner bore of your new UR pulley and slide it onto the crank. Take care not to use to much force as you can damage both the crank and your pulley. It should go on without too much trouble.
Now replace the 19mm crank pulley bolt and tighten it to 35ft/lbs torque. There are 6 lines on the bolt that represent 60 degrees of separation. With a pencil, or whatever you have handy place a mark on the pulley at one of the lines. Now have your partner put pressure (a lot!!!) back on the brake and tighten the bolt by 60 degrees so that the line behind the line you picked now lines up with your mark (i know, it sound confusing but you'll see what i'm talking about). It's gonna take a lot of force and the pulley will turn but with several tries the bolt will move 60 degrees.
Finally, just go in reverse order to put everything back together. Place your new belts on, turn the 12mm tensioner adjustment bolts clockwise to add tension to the belts and then tighten the 14mm bolts on the tensioners. Replace your underbody and you're done!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:05 PM
xZlr8

Here's the difference in size. I didn't weigh them as i don't have accurate scales. But i can tell you that stock crank pulley is HEAVY. The new one is significantly lighter. I'll weigh the stock one as soon as i can find some suitable scales.
Attached Thumbnails UR pulley install instructions with pics!-side-by-side.jpg  
Old 06-14-2003, 11:06 PM
xZlr8

Another of the size difference.
Attached Thumbnails UR pulley install instructions with pics!-on-top.jpg  
Old 06-14-2003, 11:12 PM
xZlr8

The new pulley on the car. It's hard to get a good photo because of the tight space but here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails UR pulley install instructions with pics!-img00014.jpg  
Old 06-14-2003, 11:16 PM
xZlr8

The new pulley on the car. Both belts go over the tensioner (like the one at the green arrow) not under them (red arrow). Just thought i'd throw that in for clarification! Enjoy your new pulley!!!
Attached Thumbnails UR pulley install instructions with pics!-pulley-on-car.jpg  
Old 06-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, you are getting the mods quick lately aren't you? First exhaust, now this......keep them coming.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:47 AM
guerojo

If you dont mind me asking what does the new pulley do that the old one doesnt?
Old 06-15-2003, 09:12 AM
xZlr8

Originally posted by guerojo
If you dont mind me asking what does the new pulley do that the old one doesnt?
Any weight on the crank will rob HP from the wheels. The UR pulley being lighter just gives you some of that HP back. It is also smaller which underdrives your accessories a bit but those gains are minimal. It's mainly the weight that makes the difference with the crank pulley. You can also get accessory pulleys that underdrive a little more but the gains are small. The stock crank pulley is very heavy (i'd say at least 5 lbs heavier than the UR). I have the Injen intake and exhaust and love them both but the pulley is my favorite mod. It gave a linear increase in power that i can feel all through the rpms. Also makes the engine rev faster. There is no vibration and there is no difference in the function of my air conditioner and my volt meter reads the same.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:14 AM
xZlr8

Originally posted by Nissan350ZTT
Nice, you are getting the mods quick lately aren't you? First exhaust, now this......keep them coming.
Haha...I ordered the exhaust and the pulley on the same day. It's just that the pulley was back ordered like 2 weeks. This will be it for a while. But one of my friends just got coilovers on his car and after seeing his times at the autox yesterday i'm itching for a set. But like i said, it's gonna be a while.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:47 PM
guerojo

Originally posted by xZlr8
Any weight on the crank will rob HP from the wheels. The UR pulley being lighter just gives you some of that HP back. It is also smaller which underdrives your accessories a bit but those gains are minimal. It's mainly the weight that makes the difference with the crank pulley. You can also get accessory pulleys that underdrive a little more but the gains are small. The stock crank pulley is very heavy (i'd say at least 5 lbs heavier than the UR). I have the Injen intake and exhaust and love them both but the pulley is my favorite mod. It gave a linear increase in power that i can feel all through the rpms. Also makes the engine rev faster. There is no vibration and there is no difference in the function of my air conditioner and my volt meter reads the same.

cool, thanks, I'll put on my to do list.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:33 PM
maserom

Question

Where can I purchases that same UR Pulley from?
Old 06-16-2003, 07:04 AM
TheBigShow

that bolt would not come off without holdin the brake down. i did the install friday night. i'm glad i remembered that, or we probly wouldn't have gotten it off. i hope i didn't do anything detrimental to the engine. after that was off, we were home free though.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:07 AM
TheBigShow

Originally posted by maserom
unorthodoxracing.com
Old 06-16-2003, 02:30 PM
MySunset350Z

i've heard a lot of bad things about UR Pullies...

u might want to do a search and get some more info first (those who havent bought the pullies yet)
Old 06-18-2003, 10:12 PM
xZlr8

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
i've heard a lot of bad things about UR Pullies...

u might want to do a search and get some more info first (those who havent bought the pullies yet)
I've "heard" bad things too, none of which have been substantiated with evidence. I have friends who have been running UR pulley's for years on their cars with no problems. I think the main concern is losing your "harmonic balancing" that the heavier stock pulley gives. But this mainly pertains to large unbalanced V8's. I've never heard of any sort of crank failure or any other malfunction when UR's are used on a V-6 or smaller engine. It helps the engine rev faster and gives you more punch all through the rpms. It's my favorite mod.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:14 PM
xZlr8

Originally posted by maserom
I got mine from 2kracing for 189.00 and free shipping.

click here
Old 06-18-2003, 10:16 PM
xZlr8

Originally posted by TheBigShow
that bolt would not come off without holdin the brake down. i did the install friday night. i'm glad i remembered that, or we probly wouldn't have gotten it off. i hope i didn't do anything detrimental to the engine. after that was off, we were home free though.
Haha..yeah, it is tough to get off. So how do you like the pulley?
Old 06-18-2003, 10:23 PM
maserom

I just ordered all 3 pully's from unorthodox racing today. They will arrive next week. Any idea how difficult the install willbe? Any instructions available would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: UR pulley install instructions with pics!