Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood keeps unlatching..

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:13 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts
Default *Updated* Hood keeps unlatching.. (Fixed)

Really starting to get annoyed at this..

For some reason my hood keeps unlatching and hooking onto the back up safety patch either during high way driving or when really putting the chassis through heavy turns and flex.

Noticed this on my way the the canyon this weekend and in the actual canyons. I had to pull over like 4 times to re close my hood.

Idk how the latch would be defective but I do notice there is a slight gap between the bumper and hood where air could get through. But I've tried to combat that by adjusting the latch at the lowest point before the hood doesn't want to close.

I'm literally having the same problem as this GTR... but I don't wanna go 150 mph and find out what this guy did.. I'm also glad this is a video cause I was thinking taping mine like this would help.. glad he learned for me lol

Last edited by CK_32; 08-01-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:20 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you missing the rubber molding in between the hood and bumper..? I would just get Aerocatch latches, get peace of mind.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:12 PM
CK_32

No I have that. A couple clips are half broken so it's sloppy but it's in there.

Yea I wanna get this fixed before I start hitting 150 mph straights on track day. Trying to stay away from hood pins if I don't need to. Too many guys use them for ricer points in my area..

Kind of have a bad vibe about them cause of them.

Last edited by CK_32; 01-17-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:48 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Stock hood or aftermarket ?
Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

If you're in SoCal I feel you on the kids here all running hood pins for scene points..

But when it comes to my safety and peace of mind, I wouldn't compromise because of the actions of children ruining our platform; just my .02, good luck man
Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
No I have that. A couple clips are half broken so it's sloppy but it's in there.

Yea I wanna get this fixed before I start hitting 150 mph straights on track day. Trying to stay away from hood pins if I don't need to. Too many guys use them for ricer points in my area..

Kind of have a bad vibe about them cause of them.
What track are you hitting 150 mph at ? Is your car forced induction
Old 01-18-2017, 10:07 AM
CK_32

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Stock hood or aftermarket ?
Originally Posted by terrasmak
What track are you hitting 150 mph at ? Is your car forced induction
Stock.. and yea it's ganna be.

Boosted kit is sitting in my garage waiting for install. I'm just trying to sort all these hazards before I even get into it.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:59 AM
CK_32

Alright so I think I figured it out.

I was still having this problem and kept playing with it in between installing my turbo kit.

And I think I finally figured it out. With the cable unattached, the locking tab that the cable pulls to unlatch the hood bar is all the way over to the locked position WITHOUT the hood cable.

But once I reinstall the cable the cable attachments that lock into the bracket seem to keep it 1/4" back and basically half unlatched. Which allows the hood latch mechanism to unhook with some force because it's basically already half open.

Playing with the cable and realizing it's non adjustable I loooked and bent some of the tabs allowing the cable to sit farther in that where it was. After some play the lock mechanism is now only about 1/8" away from full lock which seems to keep the hood.

Some how the mechanism got bent and placed the cable back some making the cable not allow the lock bar to full seat into lock. But lock half open allowing force or wind to pull it up and off.

Hopefully this helps someone else. I'll still be putting my under cover back on but it seems it was 100% the latch being bent out of place.