Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Square Wheels G6 on Pilot Super Sports *just installed*

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Underscore_Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Square Wheels G6 on Pilot Super Sports *just installed*

Hi everyone, just wanted to say thanks for the help in the wheel threads.

Finally got my wheels and tires installed.

Square Wheels G6 18x9.5 +12
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245,275/40/18

Old 05-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Great setup. The wheels look exceptional on your car. I like the bright wheels with your car's paint.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:27 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

They look good, sure nice to have new shoes on the car! I'm getting into the decision for new tire setup for mine too. I hope that you like those tires, please post up how you like them.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:36 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

They match the tail lights perfectly.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:11 AM
Underscore_Hero

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

The Super Sports are much much quieter than my previous setup.
Nexen N3000 front, Potenza S-04 PP rear

Steering feels lighter, but could be just the feel of a little lighter wheel and wider tire, not sure until I take it on the coastal road. But the ride comfort is much better, even though it's a summer tire.

I was worried about the front stretch, but seen a few posts that say it's not too bad, mine is minor. Wish I could run 255's, but 245 is good enough for me.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Spike100

I’m running Continental DWS tires to get more comfort and less noise. The trade-off is typically softer sidewalls, which does affect handling (i.e., stiff and noisy does improve the drive).

I like your front 9.5” wheels. I wimped out and went with 8.5” wheels. Even thought the offset pushed the 8.5’s out significantly, it isn’t flush (about ½” short of flush). Notice in your picture that you see the front wheels.

In my picture the front wheels are not visible because the 8.5” 15mm offset wheels sit about a half inch inside the fenders.

Originally Posted by Underscore_Hero
Thanks for the nice comments guys!

The Super Sports are much much quieter than my previous setup.
Nexen N3000 front, Potenza S-04 PP rear

Steering feels lighter, but could be just the feel of a little lighter wheel and wider tire, not sure until I take it on the coastal road. But the ride comfort is much better, even though it's a summer tire.

I was worried about the front stretch, but seen a few posts that say it's not too bad, mine is minor. Wish I could run 255's, but 245 is good enough for me.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Underscore_Hero

Originally Posted by Spike100
I’m running Continental DWS tires to get more comfort and less noise. The trade-off is typically softer sidewalls, which does affect handling (i.e., stiff and noisy does improve the drive).

I like your front 9.5” wheels. I wimped out and went with 8.5” wheels. Even thought the offset pushed the 8.5’s out significantly, it isn’t flush (about ½” short of flush). Notice in your picture that you see the front wheels.

In my picture the front wheels are not visible because the 8.5” 15mm offset wheels sit about a half inch inside the fenders.

I heard the DWS and DW are pretty good. Got the Super Sports on sale, only $100 more (for whole set) than the Hankook v12 evo2's.

I would have preferred 8.5 with the 245 tire up front, not a fan of stretched tires, but the minor stretch doesn't bother me right now. May help when I modify the suspension.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 AM
The Wine Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire time

Need to replace my ps2's, running 245/40 and 275/40 on a bone stock '06 touring roadster. Any feedback on pilot super sports? Anyone runnig 35's on stock rims? Thanks, clay
Old 05-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Spike100

Look at this thread...

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...installed.html

.. just below
Old 05-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Underscore_Hero

Originally Posted by The Wine Dog
Need to replace my ps2's, running 245/40 and 275/40 on a bone stock '06 touring roadster. Any feedback on pilot super sports? Anyone runnig 35's on stock rims? Thanks, clay
LOL Spike, I don't mind these questions.

I don't know how they compared to the PS2's, never ran those.

Much better than stock Nexen N3000's (front) and BS S-04 PP's (rear). Quieter and smoother, haven't tested them for grip just yet. Tire roar is minimal, pretty quiet with windows closed. They have a booming sound when hitting hard potholes/bumps, but doesn't feel harsh. Maybe the compound is a bit softer than the dried up N3000's. Steering feels a bit lighter, but could be wider tires or lighter wheels (or new parts placebo effect).

I also have Hankook V12 evo's on my versa, but I can't really compare the two, totally different sizes. I like them both.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Underscore_Hero

Updated after test drive: Took a 50 mile round island drive, tires are pretty sticky, but I didn't push past 80mph. Half the island was wet, but no problem on slippery roads after driving the sunny half, enough heat I think. Tires felt planted and stable on the winding coast road, had some traffic so only went about 40mph, steering feels lighter.

The car is still firm and bumpy over big cracks/potholes, small bumps are handles quite nicely. Road noise is much quieter, except for big bumps. Bad roads at speed, 60mph, usually shake my steering wheel left and right, undulation, but now it's lessened.

Overall, a great purchase. Maybe time to replace the factory shocks/springs......
Old 05-11-2015, 10:53 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are some of the best street tires you can buy. Truly a jack of all trade tire. They grip, are decently quiet, responsive, great in the wet, and treadwear is also great when you consider how much grip they have.

Hence the price tag, but glad to see you got a deal and didn't skimp on the most important part of the equation for your setup.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Underscore_Hero

Originally Posted by guitman32
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are some of the best street tires you can buy. Truly a jack of all trade tire. They grip, are decently quiet, responsive, great in the wet, and treadwear is also great when you consider how much grip they have.

Hence the price tag, but glad to see you got a deal and didn't skimp on the most important part of the equation for your setup.
Thanks!

I was hoping to grab a set of RPF1's, but the budget just wasn't there. I'd rather not have forged wheels and cheap $50 tires.

Wheels: $532, Tires: $1189, Gorilla lugs: $60, Install: $60

Last edited by Underscore_Hero; 05-11-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:38 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32

^^^This.

Had PSS on my '03 when I got the car. Good handling tire in wet/dry.

Just installed new S-04s on my '03 but have no comments as yet to make any type of comparison (just put them on today.)

Will also be installing AD08s on my Niz in next few weeks. Right now just having fun on the final 2/32nds RE050s.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:58 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Underscore_Hero
Half the island was wet, but no problem on slippery roads after driving the sunny half, enough heat I think. T
Nice to see some guys from the islands on here (I'm originally from Oahu but moved to AZ last year). Over half the guys there don't even know this site exists. Car looks great man, keep up the good work!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Underscore_Hero

Originally Posted by 67ZNISMO
Nice to see some guys from the islands on here (I'm originally from Oahu but moved to AZ last year). Over half the guys there don't even know this site exists. Car looks great man, keep up the good work!
Thanks man, hoping for more mods in the future.

I haven't met anyone from VQINC or local clubs, not my scene really,
Old 06-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Underscore_Hero

Just another pic.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:01 AM
AX8

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

OP _ Hero, - Nice set up you have, dig the wheels ! ^

Originally Posted by The Wine Dog
While not Pilot Super Sports, can offer a thumbs up to The Michellin Pilot Sport AS

Name:  029_zps8a44e88b.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  172.7 KB

Even though they're called AS ( All Season ), driving a Z in heavy snow is a challenge.

Snow conditions aside, this tire in stock size wears well, grips great, and is excellent in the wet rain.

Worthy of consideration.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:15 AM
Underscore_Hero

Originally Posted by AX8
OP _ Hero, - Nice set up you have, dig the wheels ! ^

While not Pilot Super Sports, can offer a thumbs up to The Michellin Pilot Sport AS

Even though they're called AS ( All Season ), driving a Z in heavy snow is a challenge.

Snow conditions aside, this tire in stock size wears well, grips great, and is excellent in the wet rain.

Worthy of consideration.
Thanks!

I also was considering the PS AS2, but Costco wouldn't mount them on my wheels, and the SS were only a little bit more for the sizes. I might get them for my Rogue, we don't get snow in Hawaii. And All Season won't be good for heavy snow, it's a compromise on all seasons.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Underscore_Hero

Closeup of the rears

Quick Reply: Square Wheels G6 on Pilot Super Sports *just installed*