Wheel offset thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:42 AM
yeahh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Wheel offset thoughts

New here
2008 350z base
I bought my 350 back in march. Currently in the USMC and over in japan and buying parts and what not while im here for it until im back. Im not really too understanding with wheel offsets. To my knowledge, it should be 40, correct me if im wrong, im honestly not too sure. Anyways, Im looking at these wheels im wanting to order but the wheel offset is 35. Any advice on that? Also, i have Eibach Sportline springs waiting to go on it too, idk if that helps the situation or not.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

i think you are confused. most people get a +15 offset for the wheels, the +15 is the distance from the center line of the wheel to where the hub is. most people go with a 40 series sidewall
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 AM
travlee
Master

and i prob just confused ya more...
Old 08-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

What wheels are you looking at? What sizes? With that offset it's not going to be flush at all. What're your goals? There are plenty of threads in the Wheels / Suspension threads.

Also good to look around at other peoples post so you can get an idea of what you're looking at.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 AM
yeahh

http://advantiwheel.com/current-wheels/bo-bello/
yeah you kind of did lol, like i said i dont really know **** about wheels
And i think im just having a giant retard moment honestly. think i mixed the numbers up from what i was thinking. anyways, would appreciate the help.
want 19''
Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 AM
travlee
Master

it took me a while to understand offset too, the bad thing about those is they dont list the offsets. also, price out tires before you are dead set on 19's, they tend to be a bit more expensive than 18's
Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 AM
mvp2765

keep in mind that with lowering your car, the rims tuck in even more, so you can go with an even lower offset.. +40 is way too high.. A safe & very common combo is 19x9.5 front 19x10.5 rear with +22 offsets. An even more flush offset, to the fender, is +15.

Rolling your fenders and using camber kits allow for a better stance with no rubbing.

Last edited by mvp2765; 08-04-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:50 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by yeahh
New here
2008 350z base
I bought my 350 back in march. Currently in the USMC and over in japan and buying parts and what not while im here for it until im back. Im not really too understanding with wheel offsets. To my knowledge, it should be 40, correct me if im wrong, im honestly not too sure. Anyways, Im looking at these wheels im wanting to order but the wheel offset is 35. Any advice on that? Also, i have Eibach Sportline springs waiting to go on it too, idk if that helps the situation or not.
I think Trav is right that you may be confusing wheel offset with tire aspect ratios.

Wheel offset is the distance (in mm) that the wheel mounting face is "away" from the center line of the wheel viewed from front of car as mounted.

Good description here: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

Tire aspect ratio is the height of the tire's sidewall, described in percentage relative to the tire's tread width. For example, a 245/45-18 tire will have a sidewall that is 45% of the tire's treadwidth of 245 or 110.25mm high.

Generally speaking, Z33 OEM wheels are +30mm offset (some are a bit higher but nowhere near the 40 you mention) meaning the mounting face is 30mm outboard of the center line of the wheel. For an approximately 8" wide wheel, this gives a good balance between steering responsiveness and footprint.

But.... arguably doesn't "look" as good as a more flush set up and given that you obviously have performance in mind by purchasing Sportlines, there are options to increase handling performance.

As mentioned, a lot of aftermarket wheels will decrease the offset down to about 15-20mm, the result being a "wider track" and a more "aggressive look" with the wheel pushing outwards towards the fender lip (or "more flush").

Probably (and arguably) the most popular fitment for upgraded street/performance use on Zs are:

9.5" wide FRONT wheels with +15mm offset (and 245 or 255 sized - aspect ratio depends on wheel diameter -tires) and...

10.5" wide REAR wheels with same offset (and 265 or 275 sized tires, again, aspect ratio dependent upon wheel diameter to maintain constant or close to stock overall height to keep your speedo and VDC happy).

Note: LOTS of deviations exist (8.5/9.5, 9/10, 10/11, etc.) from this but this is one of the more popular fitments for Z33. Also note I didn't say this was the "right" set up, meaning optimized, because that's opening a whole 'nother can of worms and is dependent on intended use of the car when done. Suffice that this is just a decent all-around setup for a street driven set up. Track only? Throw everything I said out the window. 'Nuff said.

I would NOT recommend going to a higher offset wheel (>+30mm) as this will "tuck" the wheel inboard more AND more importantly, messes with what's called the "scrub radius". I won't get into detail here but the net is that deviating scrub radius too far from stock takes away some steering response and feel as the suspension on the Z33 chassis is designed for 30mm positive with SOME deviation allowable without affecting turn-in and handling and/or requiring additional work/components to restore it. (Also applies to deviating to more aggressive fitments, i.e., decreasing offset.)

Wheel offset and tire sizing isn't rocket science but it IS confusing for people just getting into it for the first time. Like Pengu said, do some more reading in the Wheel/Tire section and you'll see that some commonalities start to pop out at you and base your decision on trusted reading.

Also, learn to use the tire/wheel calculator: https://my350z.com/forum/tire_rim_calculator.php This is great tool that will help you to visualize how a particular wheel size/offset will look on your car. Not pictorially but if you know how to use a tape measure, you can take the results from this tool and apply to your car.

Hope this helps some (rather than adding even more confusion)!

Cheers,

Mic
The following users liked this post:
terrasmak (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 08:05 AM
yeahh

Wow Mic, that actually helped a lot, and think i have it from here. Thanks a lot man!!!!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:13 AM
travlee
Master

this is mic

Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 AM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yeahh
New here
2008 350z base
The higher the offset, the more sunken in, the lower the offset, the more it sticks out. For a flush look u want an offset between +15 and +22. With sportlines I would go with +15
Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
this is mic

Heh, heh..... but all wrong. His name is Mighty, my name is Mic, after how I do things to my cars.

Ask my close friends about my creative overuse of zip ties on cars.

But nawwww, when I'm not drooling over Zs, I work in "creating efficiency" for my clients. That is, doing things right the first time and attempting to improve a deteriorating signal:noise ratio.

Hmmmm, gives me a thought though....

Cheers,

Mighty Mic
Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

2 of my fav Br0s, trav and Mic.
and