Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Professional thief tried to steal my Z (pics & story)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 07:51 PM
ROME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be the security dudes? and they got spooked.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Jsn350Z

Hmm, shave the handles and get door poppers That gets rid of that method.

Well I am glad that is all that happend but sorry anything had to happen at all.

Deffinitly file a report with the poilce, it just may help them catch these people.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:14 AM
xray2

Get the two-way alarm radio and disable the audible part. Just have some blinking lights come on. Generally you have plenty of time to rush out and check the car when the radio pages you.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:51 AM
nicolaycastro

How much is a two way alarm radio?
Old 11-29-2004, 01:27 PM
shabu

Same thing happened to mine earlier this month. Right in my freaking driveway, and I live in the suburbs (Fords, NJ). The cop didn't bother dusting for fingerprints. He just said to bad and wrote out a report...

I feel your loss!
Old 11-29-2004, 04:52 PM
taurran

That sucks, sorry to hear that.

After reading this I have decided to move the aftermarket alarm up on my list of priorities. I just need to find a good place to install...

And yes, my Z does attract some major a$$holes! This morning I came out from class to find milk splattered all over my roof and hood.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:12 PM
ZpikeZ

Originally posted by nicolaycastro
How much is a two way alarm radio?
Probably anywhere between $300 - $600. I know Compustar is top of the line (i was gonna get that) and that costs $600 ... it has the longest paging distance (1.25 miles) of any two way alarm out there.

shabu - Something must be in the water here in Jersey!

Old 11-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Neo105

Do you guys have a link on that compustar alarm? i'm really interested in that, since there is a lot of car theft around here
Old 11-30-2004, 11:17 AM
ZpikeZ

Originally posted by Neo105
Do you guys have a link on that compustar alarm? i'm really interested in that, since there is a lot of car theft around here
http://www.compustar.org

The 2WSS is the best! I'm getting that bad boy next week!
Old 11-30-2004, 06:22 PM
BriA5

Man...... my car just got broken into exactly a week before yours. Mine was in Jersey City, parked on the street in the downtown area (the nice area of the city). They stole most of my stereo equipment out of my car and did some lovely damage to the trim inside in the process. From the pics it looks like it was exactly the same method on the driver's door, but when I found mine my windows were not down. Strange.

My dealer finally has the parts in for my repairs and such and I will most likely be bringing mine in to be fixed on Thursday. In the meantime, PM me if you want some of the specific pricing for parts (not labor) I got from my dealer. I have the information at my office.

The big cost for me, it appears, is going to be re-doing my sound system. I also have to decide what (if anything) I can do about keeping this from happening again. With this type of job, especially if I am not going to be near the car, I don't see how ANY alarm is going to help much (especially when everyone just ignores them).
Old 11-30-2004, 08:06 PM
FayZ

Any dumpA$$ can break into a car it's not hard. But has anyone Z got taken B4?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:13 PM
mike952

Any electrical guys out there?

One solution, is to diffuse the (how???)...the auto window down while the key is not in the ignition. This way, no matter what they do ...they cannot open the window. The same may need to be applied to the unlock mechanism.

In the extreme case, disable the power locks (unfortuantly have to use key to get in and out) and figure out how to disable the auto down window when the key is not in the ignition, change the power to the window to be same wire feeding the radio or cigarette lighter.

An electrical guy can do all this for probably $100 and a couple of hours.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:08 AM
ZpikeZ

Well, Warnock Nissan estimated it was going to cost around $450 to fix the handle. They damaged a couple of parts inside the door, including the cylinder for the locking system, and obviously the window mechanism. Plus there is some slight paint damage under the handle as well (shown with picture #2). They said they would have to repaint the entire door to fix that at a cost of $300. Does that sound about right? All in all, I'm relieved that it is only costing me well less than $1000 to fix this mess ... coulda been a whole lot worse.

Last edited by ZpikeZ; 12-01-2004 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:47 AM
Jsn350Z

$300 is actually a pretty damn good price to repaint the door if it is a quality job. I would rather go to a good body shop then have Nissan paint it though.

Also, since your car is black, you do not really have to worry about paint matching, so that's nice.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Risk

Originally posted by tylerdurden
Can that car be started without the programmed key? I would think that it would have to be towed. If he was a real pro, the car would have been gone.
I agree....if it were a pro, you would have lost your car, or at least your sunglasses
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 PM
jckolnturn

There is one way to possibly start the car without the chipped key. They could probably break into your car pop the hood swap out your computer with one they have the chipped key for and then just bust your ignition in the traditional way. I never tried it but it I think it's possible.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:12 PM
350tre

Default professional care thieves??!???

i am sorry and mean no offense to us all.

but the Z is not that nice of a car for a professional car thief to waste their time stealing. A professional car theif is going to steal high end mercedes, maybe, maybe if he wants a day off so to say. professional car theieves are going to steal bentleys and old rare cars that actually bring money when they sell them. The most a car thief is going to make selling a Z is like 15k, im no car theif, but i would not steal a z just for 15k, its not worth it. don't be so paranoid. some **** prob broke into your car to see if they could find anything valuable, end of story.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Jsn350Z

That is not true at all ... The most stolen cars are Honda accord and such. Most people do not steal cars to keep. They steal them to sell off, part out, ect ect.

I don't really know how to say what I am saying, but I just don't agree.

They broke in to find something valuable and left his expensive sunglasses and other item in there? I don't think so.

Just the other day my friends shop had a Civic Si that had been stolen and stripped of anything valuable.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Built2shredZ

As more Z's are sold they will be on the popular list of stolen cars for there parts.

I image what happen with you is they were in the process of hot wiring your car when the probably saw security crusin there way and decided to bail before they were caught. Just a guess tho..

I would say there were professionals... otherwise your car would of been jacked up if they were amatures trying to get in.. besides its only the really high end theifs that still mercedes and ferreri's, as the only way they make money is shipping the car out of the country to third world countries. The money maker is Honda Accords, Camerys and Integras. Since so many of these cars are sold there parts are extreamly valuable.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:14 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have one of these hehehe come get me

Quick Reply: Professional thief tried to steal my Z (pics & story)