Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Professional thief tried to steal my Z (pics & story)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 01:12 PM
ZpikeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professional thief tried to steal my Z (pics & story)

Pictures of the damage are below the story.

11:30 pm Saturday…

Me on phone: “Hi is this Meadowlands racetrack security? I just wanted to report that someone attempted to break into my car tonight a few hours ago.”

Security Guard – “Oh that’s terrible. Just recently members of a professional ring of car thieves were busted in Newark. They stole cars in the Meadowlands parking lot. That’s why we have security vehicles roaming the lots.”

Me – “No kidding. You know what? I'm no rocket scientist, but for some reason I still think they are in operation … that's just a hunch. “

Rewind to 8 pm ...

I got to the Meadowlands with my $20 bucks that night. I kept saying to myself “this night is gonna be different, I’m gonna win, I really am gonna win!” (I never do.) I park in my usual spot, close to the lamp post under the light, away from everybody else (Oh I would hate so much to ever get a dent! Dentless for 18,000 miles, knock on wood). I walked into the racetrack, took a whiff of the horse ****, and met my friend in the clubhouse. “Llllllllet’s gamble!”, he said. It was on …

9:30 pm …

I was getting bored and I was down 2 bucks so we decided to leave. As we walked out I looked into the parking lot where we were both parked and said to my friend, “doesn’t it look like the security guards are driving by our cars one too many times?”. He didn’t answer, probably because either he was pissed that he lost $25, or that he owns a Ford Focus and doesn’t care. I unlock my car, open the door, and plop my azz down in the seat. WTF? “Why are both of my windows down?!” I said to myself. Oh my god I am such an idiot for leaving them down, it’s even starting to rain! I go to start my car, and notice my Maui Jim sunglass case is on the passenger side carpet. My heart jumped a few beats as I reached down and quickly opened the case up … Whew, they were still there! For like a second I remember thinking that someone might have broken in and stolen my $300 pair of sunglasses (way overpriced, btw). I also noticed the passenger seat was moved up an inch or so (I always keep in back, ALL the way back). To top it off, all of the 167 compartments in the Z were opened. Another bad thought went through my mind, and I was expecting my windows to not be there when I tried to roll them up. They were there. Ok, all's good. Time to go home.

10:15 pm …

I pulled into my garage, turned my baby off, opened the door, and as soon I as I stepped foot out of the Z both windows rolled down again! What the hell?? My car is psychotic! Or probably it was just cranky, cause winter is coming and all. I turned it on and shut it off again and the same thing happened. Hmmm, weird. Immediately I went on this site to find out what the hell was wrong with my windows. It was probably just some weird quirk … my Z has plenty of those (and yours does too). I went back to my car, and while reaching for the door handle, I noticed something strange. It was falling off! OH MY FREAKING GOD!!! I realized what had happened at the track. Somebody popped the driver’s side door handle off which triggered the automatic rolling the windows down feature. I flipped a ****. After flipping a ****, being the paranoid person I am, I checked EVERYTHING in the car. The headlights, the ignition, the wheels, my registration, my pen, my migraine medication, the air in my tires … that’s about all I keep in my car, and that’s a good thing. It was all there, and there was very little if no damage at all around the handle where the criminal did their evil business. Ok I found one small scratch, but that is nothing compared to what could have happened. This was definitely a job done by professionals - quick and clean. I decided to wait until the morning to check the rest of the car for damage, and to take pictures. Oh yeah I forgot to mention I brought my mini-camcorder (Panasonic AV-100) into the racetrack with me to film some horrible losses. I normally always leave it in the Z hoping to record something exciting. I must be the unluckiest luckiest kid around!

PS - That jerkoff who tried to steal my Z should have taken my migraine medication cause he's gonna need it after I track him down and BEAT HIM OVER THE HEAD WITH A BRICK UNTIL HE'S ALMOST DEAD!

This morning ...

Here are 6 pictures I shot from all different angles … comments welcome! And what do I do next? Report it? Call my insurance company? How much do you think it will cost?

http://st20.startlogic.com/~obzezzed/1.JPG
http://st20.startlogic.com/~obzezzed/2.JPG
http://st20.startlogic.com/~obzezzed/3.JPG
http://st20.startlogic.com/~obzezzed/4.JPG
http://st20.startlogic.com/~obzezzed/5.JPG
http://st20.startlogic.com/~obzezzed/6.JPG

Old 11-28-2004, 01:18 PM
roneski

Wow, I wonder if my G has the same vulnerability. Because no doubt word will start to get around and Zs all over the country will be broken into. Maybe you should delete a few details from your post.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:22 PM
ZpikeZ

Originally posted by roneski
Wow, I wonder if my G has the same vulnerability. Because no doubt word will start to get around and Zs all over the country will be broken into. Maybe you should delete a few details from your post.
I didn't say how they did it, cause I have no idea how they did it.

Should I bring this post back from the dead? I'll delete that link if necessary.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Low J.
Banned

nobody is letting out any secrets here......the thieves already know.....that's why they used it on your car.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:32 PM
mgl

Default Re: Professional thief tried to steal my Z (pics & story)

Originally posted by ZpikeZ

Here are 6 pictures I shot from all different angles … comments welcome! And what do I do next? Report it? Call my insurance company? How much do you think it will cost?

wow, that really sucks. sorry that it happened.
i would immediately call the police and file a report with them and let the security at the racetrack know as well. as they seem to be aware of it but definitely not doing enough to protect you.
through my past experience(not with the z), the cops came and dusted the car for prints and everything, it was very CSI-ish and all for a car that was broken into.
so just file a police report and claim it with your insurance and have them handle the repairs.

as for the thieves being professionals, they probably aren't, as you still have you car and all. if they really wanted it, they would have had a flat bed tow truck with them. and you would have riden home in your friend's ford focus.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:37 PM
roneski

I didn't say how they did it, cause I have no idea how they did it.

Should I bring this post back from the dead? I'll delete that link if necessary.
LOL, ok nevermind. Interesting read though.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:50 PM
ZpikeZ

Default Re: Re: Professional thief tried to steal my Z (pics & story)

Originally posted by mgl
i would immediately call the police and file a report with them and let the security at the racetrack know as well.
Do you really think the cops will do something since I still have the car, there was very little damage, and nothing was stolen from the inside? Most likely these crooks were from Newark, NJ, the car theft capital of the entire country. (This happened like 15 minutes from Newark.) They have stolen cars lined up in the streets there ... cops can't do anything about it, so they barely do anything to stop it.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Low J.
Banned

you should file a police report if for no other reason than your insurance company may require it with your claim. I had my old cars broken into a few times and the insurance company required a police report each time. Better to cover your a$$ so you don't get screwed. I hope you get your baby back in pristine condition in no time.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:50 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your loss. Do you have a passive aftermarket alarm? Some **** tried to do the same thing to my Z handle. Fortunately I only needed to touch up the lower part. Since I have a beater now I never park it in potential theft spots. BTW Some **** piece of **** car parks an inch from my Z in a empty parking lot! Good thing no damage. My Z acttracts ********! So Z owners beware!
Old 11-28-2004, 03:36 PM
KrazY-2K

I feel your pain.
Why does the Z attract so many a$$holes?!
Sorry to hear about your luck. We need to invent some kind of deadly security system
Old 11-28-2004, 03:49 PM
mgl

Default Re: Re: Re: Professional thief tried to steal my Z (pics & story)

Do you really think the cops will do something since I still have the car, there was very little damage, and nothing was stolen from the inside? Most likely these crooks were from Newark, NJ, the car theft capital of the entire country. (This happened like 15 minutes from Newark.) They have stolen cars lined up in the streets there ... cops can't do anything about it, so they barely do anything to stop it.

as low j said the insurance company might require you to file a report with the police, i know mine does. but from now on, maybe you should get an alarm or maybe one of those locks you hook up to the clutch(i think its called an autolock). it won't stop them really, but it will take more time for the theives to take the car. so more time=greater risk for them.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:21 PM
nicolaycastro

Thats a very weird story, why did they brak into the car in the first place?
Old 11-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Queens 350z

Default sorry to hear about that.

Some people are real Fu*ks. They can't stand to see a person with a nice car. Others just drive piece of sh*t cars and dont care whos door they ding. Anywhere i go with the Z i park it as far as i can from anyone and anything.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:09 PM
tylerdurden

Can that car be started without the programmed key? I would think that it would have to be towed. If he was a real pro, the car would have been gone.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:29 PM
AzianToby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. Some people in this world suck. Come to think of it... a good 20 percent of the world's population should be shot into space.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:18 PM
theguykevin

i would kill him...god...
damn...Z needs a surgery...
sorry to hear that man...;
Old 11-28-2004, 06:31 PM
ZpikeZ

Originally posted by nicolaycastro
Thats a very weird story, why did they brak into the car in the first place?
Probably because they wanted to steal it!!!! LOL!

JonsilvZ - i have no alarm ... a week after I bought the car I was going to get a Compustar alarm installed. Had some problems at the installation place so it never happened.

tylerdurden - I do not believe the car can be started without the key (don't quote me on that though). Maybe the crook realized that and left.

Thanks everyone for feeling my pain!

Old 11-28-2004, 06:36 PM
ZRA

Hi Z Pike,

Sorry to see this happen to you! You need to call local inforcement, and your Ins. Co. A motion detector would be a good choice to install. I believe all specialty vehicles should have good security alarms built in. Take care. ZRA.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:30 PM
DragonGcoupe

Makes the rest of us who are only armed with the OEM "alarm" wonder how safe our cars really are...
Old 11-28-2004, 07:32 PM
nicolaycastro

yes, the car cant be started without the chip that is in the key, but obviously there are crooks who know how to crack those things. I just thought it was wierd that if the were "pros" enough to know whou to automatically make the windows get down they wouldn realize the car could not ger started that easy. Anyways good thing that your car wasnt damaged that much (it could have been more).

Quick Reply: Professional thief tried to steal my Z (pics & story)