Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

base Z stereo......=SH1T

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:24 PM
DIE DIE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default base Z stereo......=****

Is it just me or is the stereo in the base model Z the worst!!!!? Maybe it's a little bit because I've always had nice aftermarket speakers + subs in my cars, but still, the speakers in the base suck!

I understand that it's the base model and I'm not gonna get all the extr options....but come on! Did Nissan forget that the base Z is still $26 K car and not a $14 sentra??? I haven't heard the speakers in the other Z models, are they any good? Only other nissan car speakers I've heard are spec-V's and they are definately better than my Z

I'm just wondering why they would put better speakers in a $19K spec-V than a $26K Z???????????????????????
Old 12-04-2004, 02:25 PM
DIE DIE

only reason i can think of would be because the spec-V's are targeting teens who most likely will want a decent stereo, but come on.....what about the more spoiled teens?
Old 12-04-2004, 02:27 PM
shiva

It's all about priorities. Would you expect to get a carbon fiber driveshaft in a $26K sedan?

The Z is a car that heavily cuts corners in some areas to excel in others.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally posted by DIE DIE
only reason i can think of would be because the spec-V's are targeting teens who most likely will want a decent stereo, but come on.....what about the more spoiled teens?
Like me.

Even with the bose it's dissapointing.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Z Shadow

notice no power antenna like the older z's

but look at your kick a$$ aluminum pedals

or how about that torque filled engine or tight a$$ suspension

I'm dissapointed as well, my 2000 celica gts stereo for a stock system kicked a$$, but at least the stereo up grade is easier than an engine or suspension upgrade

I'm planning to upgrade my stereo after christmas, nothing elaborate, but enough to make the difference

Old 12-04-2004, 02:57 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm happy as **** that they stopped putting those stupid power antenna's in cars. I must have replaced a dozen between two Z's and a Maxima. They're as bad as automatic ice-makers when it comes to breaking down after a year or two.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:09 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/show...ighlight=stero
Old 12-04-2004, 04:18 PM
marhot

This is an old complaint. The stereo has been bad since the beginning; both ‘base’ and the Bose. Frankly, after 3 model years, I’m surprised Nissan hasn’t upgraded/improved it yet.

But, that said, I frankly don’t care.

Like shivak said, Nissan cut corners on the non-essentials (stereo, interior finish, etc.) and spent money on the essentials (superb engine, exotic driveshaft, and fantastic suspension). It is about priorities and Nissan got it right.

This is a true sports car. I frankly don’t care for power widows, power locks, power seats, navigation system, etc. That is ALL unnecessary stuff for a true ‘sports car’.
Look at the sports cars of 30 years ago; the Porsches, Alfa Romeos, and my personal favorite, the Triumph TR6. Do you think they had that crap on them? I haven’t liked Porsches for the last 25 years. Yeah, yeah, I know, I’m old school –what do expect from an old man??

One of the reasons I love the Z is how it is a little crude on the ‘creature comforts’. That is also the reason I got an Enthusiast model, no need for leather, nav, blah, blah, blah…

Bottom line, who needs it, and if it is important to you, it’s a cheap to upgrade your stereo.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:26 PM
cwerdna

Thumbs down

Yeah, the base stereo is pretty lousy. It isn't so bad if you're standing still or driving at slow speeds, but once up on the highway w/it turned up loud enough to hear, the sound quality sucks, esp. the radio. CD is a little better. If there were no such thing as car stereo theft, I'd gladly spend a bunch of $ to replace the head unit, speakers, add an amp and sub.

It's not the worst sounding car stereo I've heard, but it leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of low-end crappy GM cars have far better sounding stereos.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:21 PM
DIE DIE

thanks for all the answers guys! you bring some great points!

I'll definately be upgrading the deck/ speakers, but theres no room for subs.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 PM
DragonGcoupe

Well my $37k track has the same stereo as your base, $11k difference, and still no upgrade. Go Nissan. I'm sure I'll have to swap it out soon.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:38 AM
Teez Zee

digress - I still have my 74 TR6 - I find that it is at least as much fun to drive as the Z because you feel every bump in the road and have a very agressive engine growl. The radio in that car was virtually impossible to listen to because of the road and engine noise. But, who cared! I used to run agains 240z with that car - with 80 to100 hp it gave a real thrill.

The bose radio is fine for what you need in a sports car. If you want more, you can get your father's luxury sedan to drive around
Old 12-05-2004, 07:59 AM
shiva

Originally posted by marhot
This is a true sports car. I frankly don’t care for power widows, power locks, power seats, navigation system, etc. That is ALL unnecessary stuff for a true ‘sports car’.
While I generally agree with what you are saying, the Z is really not that hardcore.

It optionally comes with leather+power seats and navigation. Even the most stripped down version is large, comfortable, and heavy. The Z is more of a sports GT.

Which isn't necessarily bad. After all, not everyone wants to drive an S2000 or an Elise. But if you think things like power windows and locks are frivolous amenities, then perhaps you bought the wrong car.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:38 AM
marhot

Originally posted by shivak
While I generally agree with what you are saying, the Z is really not that hardcore.

... not everyone wants to drive an S2000 or an Elise. But if you think things like power windows and locks are frivolous amenities, then perhaps you bought the wrong car.
Yeah, I think I got a little carried away. The Z is not a sports car in the strictest definition.
Outside of a Lotus Elise, I can’t think of any true sports car. The Z is more of a GT.

What’s sad is that there are no true sports cars any more, like the Triumphs, MGs, Alfas, Porsches, (or even the pre-68 Corvettes), etc. of 30 – 40 years ago.

I know the Miata, S2000, BMW Z4, & Boxster are considered sports cars, but with all power everything and navigation systems, they are luxury sport GTs in my eyes. Except for the Miata, which is the closest to a ‘60s sports car.

(Excuse my OT ramble! )
Old 12-05-2004, 10:05 AM
boma

I don't care Marhot. They're sports cars to me and 95% of the people that see them!
=)
Old 12-05-2004, 10:17 AM
DIE DIE

I never consider cars like miata's, z3's, and new mr2's sports cars just cause they all have less than 150 hp.

z3 has a lil more n the v6 but still slow.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:46 AM
shiva

I have never considered the Z or G35C true sports cars because they weigh more than 3200 lbs Anyway, back on topic..
Old 12-05-2004, 10:48 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marhot,

Are you proposing we return to the noisy, oil-leaking-from-every-seal, bare bones, plastic rear window rag top, Lucas-Prince-of-darkness-electronics cars of yesteryear? LOL!
Old 12-05-2004, 05:23 PM
marhot

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat

Are you proposing we return to the noisy, oil-leaking-from-every-seal, bare bones, plastic rear window rag top, Lucas-Prince-of-darkness-electronics cars of yesteryear? LOL!
LOL, yeah, I know, you're right. These are the good old days...

But everytime I see a mint '73 TR-6 (my personal dream/fantasy car) I dream.... a man can dream, can't he? A friend of mine in high school had a '73 TR-6, but it did leak, had bad electronics, and was in the shop more than it was out.

I guess this line of thinking is just further proof that I'm just an old fart getting older.....
Old 12-05-2004, 11:40 PM
DragonGcoupe

Putting treble at +5 and bass at -1 seems to be the best way to compensate for the poor sound. I tried fading to rear to get a more even sound, but the rear speakers are completely useless, what a waste of space and weight.

Quick Reply: base Z stereo......=SH1T