Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan sues BMW over the letter "Z"

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 12:59 PM
frayed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe BMW could trade Chris Bangle (head designer and responsible for the 745i) as part of the settlement. Nissan's already have some interesting rear ends so he would feel right at home.
LOL. Couldn't agree more.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:27 PM
ezee

Originally posted by S38
Maybe BMW could trade Chris Bangle (head designer and responsible for the 745i) as part of the settlement. Nissan's already have some interesting rear ends so he would feel right at home.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as he runs screaming from the room...
Old 11-04-2002, 01:36 PM
i am a newbie

so..what happened to the nissan.com guy?
Old 11-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha
Old 11-04-2002, 01:45 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Short answer: http://nissan.com/
Old 11-04-2002, 02:03 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

/me runs to the trademark office to trademark A-Y, 0-9. and various punctuation marks.

I can retire early!
Old 11-04-2002, 02:12 PM
zerobanger

Go Nissan!

Personally.. I think mazda should sue toyota for making the RX300.

RX has been a trademark of mazda since the 60's.

David
Old 11-04-2002, 04:46 PM
fr0ng

It's not even like BMW says "come drive our Z"...they always say Z3, Z4, Z8..etc
Old 11-04-2002, 04:51 PM
S38

Companies are generally really overzealous about this stuff. McDonalds has sued anybody that even thinks about calling a business McDonalds. They have even been successful against business that are older than they are. *******.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:59 PM
ezee

Nissan is doing the right thing by protecting the Z, they only want you to think of Nissan when someone say "Z", if they let BMW get away with Z-ness, they've screwed up in the world of marketing, they'll fight hard.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:10 PM
spf4000

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Because the "Z" is a trademark of Nissan, they need to sue to protect all the money they spent on making it their trademark. If they allow BMW to continue with their marketing of their "Z line," Nissan will have lost all claims and rights to that letter as a trademark and anyone can claim they have a Z car. While it sucks to have yet another lawsuit, I have to support Nissan in standing up for their customers and their car.

I mean, do you really want someone asking you if it's a Daewoo Z or a Nissan Z after you tell them about your brand new car?
I'm glad someone on this board actually has a clue about trademark issues.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:42 PM
fr0ng

So the Z06 is next?
Old 11-04-2002, 07:20 PM
CZredZ

Default So the Z06 is next?

Only if you start seeing Chevy run "It's the 2003 Chevy Z" or "Get your Z powered Vette".

You can bet your sweet bippy that if Nissan started running ads for a 350Z8, that BMW would rip their shorts trying to get to the courthouse.

Or if Jack in the Box called their latest heart clogger the Jumbo Mac.

As far as being over zealous, if you don't protect a TM you lose it. Coke and Kleenex often get sued saying that those brand names are so freely used they should no longer be protected.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:53 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Because the "Z" is a trademark of Nissan, they need to sue to protect all the money they spent on making it their trademark. If they allow BMW to continue with their marketing of their "Z line," Nissan will have lost all claims and rights to that letter as a trademark and anyone can claim they have a Z car. While it sucks to have yet another lawsuit, I have to support Nissan in standing up for their customers and their car.

I mean, do you really want someone asking you if it's a Daewoo Z or a Nissan Z after you tell them about your brand new car?
I completely agree.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:56 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by fr0ng
If Nissan can take the letter Z, Microsoft should take the numbers 0 and 1.
That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Have you been following the post at all?
Old 11-04-2002, 08:08 PM
futuredeadguy

Angry nissan.com

Gonna have to rag on you guys who are using the Nissan.com issue as a crutch in this debate.

When the height of the Nissan.com flap was going on, the web site for "Nissan Computers" didn't even have anything for sale on their site, nor any evidence that they would ever have anything to sell. If you check their site today, you'll see that they have quite a substantial offering of computer-related merchandise. Wonder where most of their advertising came from?

Before, 90% of their website was devoted to their fight with the real Nissan back then. If it weren't for Nissan Motors, this enterprise would have flopped along with the thousands of other small time computer builders that crashed over the last five years.

This guy claims to have named his business for his surname. BS! My last name is LEUTGENS. Would I name my computer business LEUTGENS COMPUTERS? No fkn Way! Unless I needed a tax write-off for a failed business.

Nissan.com took advantage of the worldwide name recognition of a multi-billion dollar corporation. It may not be illegal, but it sure is cheesy. If they'll stoop to that level in their marketing, be sure to think twice about the advertised quality of their merchandise. It's probably got about the same quality.

Sorry, but Nissan Motors SHOULD have sued this loser.

Dead.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:56 PM
fr0ng

Originally posted by TJZ
That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Have you been following the post at all?

1. I started the thread, so yes, I am following the posts
2. It was sarcasm. I figured people would get the joke
3. I can't think of a number 3
Old 11-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Zboy

Default Re: nissan.com

Originally posted by futuredeadguy
Gonna have to rag on you guys who are using the Nissan.com issue as a crutch in this debate.

When the height of the Nissan.com flap was going on, the web site for "Nissan Computers" didn't even have anything for sale on their site, nor any evidence that they would ever have anything to sell. If you check their site today, you'll see that they have quite a substantial offering of computer-related merchandise. Wonder where most of their advertising came from?

Before, 90% of their website was devoted to their fight with the real Nissan back then. If it weren't for Nissan Motors, this enterprise would have flopped along with the thousands of other small time computer builders that crashed over the last five years.

This guy claims to have named his business for his surname. BS! My last name is LEUTGENS. Would I name my computer business LEUTGENS COMPUTERS? No fkn Way! Unless I needed a tax write-off for a failed business.

Nissan.com took advantage of the worldwide name recognition of a multi-billion dollar corporation. It may not be illegal, but it sure is cheesy. If they'll stoop to that level in their marketing, be sure to think twice about the advertised quality of their merchandise. It's probably got about the same quality.

Sorry, but Nissan Motors SHOULD have sued this loser.

Dead.
Well said. This loser is now playing the "hardworking business man VS. Evil corporate" card. Dont be fooled. The guy took advantage of "nissan" for his busness. Do you think he would still be in busness if it was ford.com?!? Sorry, but people dont like to send their computers for repairs every week or so.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:39 PM
fr0ng

The Nissan.com thing was just a smart business move. You'd all do the same thing if you had the chance.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:20 AM
futuredeadguy

Thumbs down nissan.com

Originally posted by fr0ng
The Nissan.com thing was just a smart business move. You'd all do the same thing if you had the chance.
I don't think "smart" is the adjective I'd use. And when did you decide you were qualified to assume what I'd do. You don't even know me. You're dead wrong.

Dead

Quick Reply: Nissan sues BMW over the letter "Z"