Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z vs Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 07:03 PM
jenkins1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LoL, thank you very much. Another disadvantage (for me) of the Z is the rear-wheel drive. I like the feeling of all-wheel drive, especially in bad weather. Also, it'll be my college car and I don't know if I can sacrifice the cargo space of a TT. Those are pretty much the only factors that keep me from leaning towards the Z. But I'm starting to say screw the space and just get it and slide all over the place in the rain.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:28 PM
tulene

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right on. RWD a defict? for me that is THE reason not to get the TT. slidin's fuuun
Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 PM
ohw

This article may help you decide, but go drive both to decide for yourself.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=6846
Old 12-09-2004, 08:34 PM
nang3

no **** sliding is fun !! RWD all the way !!

and as for cargo space??? i dont the TT has a hell of a lot more - i dont know why they even have a back seat really, you can only fit a couple of **** poodles in there haha..

and magazines are good to get some details but i would never buy a car based on a magazines opinion of a car...

Prime example is 'Motor" magazine and "Wheels" magazine here in Australia.. Motor reckons the Z whips the RX8's *** in everything, and vice versa for Wheels magazine... u just cant base a decision on a magazine or peoples opinions..
Old 12-10-2004, 12:31 AM
kk82nyc

Z & TT are both nice cars (TT especially on cornering when you get the QUATTRO=extra money). if you planning to modify your car, then I would say Z because it's easier to modify your car for less $$$
I had A4 3.0 Quattro 2002 model 2 years ago, but I didn't really like it on the performance. Since it's Quattro, you will feel something that holds your car behind. which means, you can't feel any speed on it, and it's not fun to drive it (it's just my opinion though)
The best way is to go to both Nissan and Audi then test drive both cars. you will get an idea!~
Old 12-10-2004, 04:26 AM
ZMan31

I've got a 01 TT with 48,000 miles and while I love the car, I can't wait to pay it off and get my Z. I've only got 9k left to pay on it, then I'll buy the Z. I want a 04, black touring roadster. DO NOT BUY A TT!
Old 12-10-2004, 05:30 AM
Beamm

I testdrove both and went with the Z. I don't like the way the TT looks compared to the Z. Also, there is a huge difference when you actually sit down and drive the car. The TT feels a bit 'sloppier' out on the road as it doesn't respond as quickly as my Z does.

I didn't think the interior of the TT was as nice as it is on the Z. If you want to do anything with the car (say if you live in Miami and want to drive down to Key West) the drive is much more fun in the Z than in the TT (like it has a cup holder and somewhere to rest your arm while you're driving). Also, your whole cargo space thing, get neither of these cars, you can't put a lot in them.

I think the Z is a better thought out car than the TT. The TT was made for show and the Z is made for go. If you really want to get into your driving then get the Z.

Also, my mom wouldn't let me get the TT because she said it was a 'chick car' and she would disown me if I ever drove one.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:39 AM
ThrillZ

TT225Q
-slower (and it "feels" much slower)
-feels much heavier
-less direct
-more costly
-questionable reliability
-new model out soon

+beautiful interior
+Quattro (for winter)
+typical German build quality = solid

I prefer speed and RWD, so I would go Z

ps: if you have to buy German/all-wheel pay a little more if you can and go BMW 330xi Stick
just as quick, better handling, better connection, better feel, better looks (opinion), better build quality, better reliability, better depreciation, better brand, better car.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:34 AM
qwsxz

No Joke -

Last night driving home from my pre-winter oil change, and I was driving next to a TT in Lincoln Park, Chicago. Now I have gotten looks from people in other cars, but this guy was STARING at my Z. He looked like a sad puppy who got picked buy the wrong family and wanted out. He prolly got forced by his wife to buy the "Cute" chick TT. I almost feel bad for the guy.

Get a real car: Z!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 AM
ThrillZ

Originally posted by qwsxz
No Joke -

Last night driving home from my pre-winter oil change, and I was driving next to a TT in Lincoln Park, Chicago. Now I have gotten looks from people in other cars, but this guy was STARING at my Z. He looked like a sad puppy who got picked buy the wrong family and wanted out. He prolly got forced by his wife to buy the "Cute" chick TT. I almost feel bad for the guy.

Get a real car: Z!

I know what you mean qwsxz

Do you drive your Z all year round in Chicago and if so, what do you do to "winterize" it?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:35 AM
kernel

if you are going to use winter as an excuse don't. with a good set of winter tires you can drive the Z just fine, if not better in the snow. i have a set of LM-22's on my stock 18's and i live in the chicago area. so i have seen a good amount of snow. i have also tested the car in crazy extreams last winter. i went into a deep 3-5 inches of snow parking lot to see if i could go in it and then get out. sure there was some sliding (but any car would) but i could get out of the lot with some good tires. with stock tires don't even bother.

but anyway all in all just don't let the "winter" factor be one of the negatives against the car because that can be fixed.

as for what you can do to winterize in chicago, Winter tires, winter OIL, toss a scraper in the back, and let the car warm up for atleast a few minutes before you drive it in the morning.

as for space in the back, you might actually be suprised how much crap you can shove in the hatch back. i have gone camping and have done a few long road trips in the Z before. since you really can't use the rear window all that much you can pretty much stack things to the glass in the hatch.

i have been able to put in there on a camping trip,
2 backpacks, an air matress, Large tent. 2-3 blankets and pillows, Logs for fire and a few more things. (fireworks, it was the 4th)

if you are really hurting for space and need to pack more crap, then take the spair tire out and there is even more space in the tire "tub"

but if you are worried about just daily stuff in your car, then you need a much bigger car, cause back seats or a hatch isn't going to be a huge difference.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:23 PM
ThrillZ

Originally posted by kernel
if you are going to use winter as an excuse don't. with a good set of winter tires you can drive the Z just fine, if not better in the snow. i have a set of LM-22's on my stock 18's and i live in the chicago area. so i have seen a good amount of snow. i have also tested the car in crazy extreams last winter. i went into a deep 3-5 inches of snow parking lot to see if i could go in it and then get out. sure there was some sliding (but any car would) but i could get out of the lot with some good tires. with stock tires don't even bother.

but anyway all in all just don't let the "winter" factor be one of the negatives against the car because that can be fixed.

as for what you can do to winterize in chicago, Winter tires, winter OIL, toss a scraper in the back, and let the car warm up for atleast a few minutes before you drive it in the morning.

as for space in the back, you might actually be suprised how much crap you can shove in the hatch back. i have gone camping and have done a few long road trips in the Z before. since you really can't use the rear window all that much you can pretty much stack things to the glass in the hatch.

i have been able to put in there on a camping trip,
2 backpacks, an air matress, Large tent. 2-3 blankets and pillows, Logs for fire and a few more things. (fireworks, it was the 4th)

if you are really hurting for space and need to pack more crap, then take the spair tire out and there is even more space in the tire "tub"

but if you are worried about just daily stuff in your car, then you need a much bigger car, cause back seats or a hatch isn't going to be a huge difference.
Thx for the advice kernel.

Even if I couldn't drive my Z in the winter it wouldn't kill me as I have choices, but it's nice to know that it will move under the right circumstances.

Nice car by the way.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:57 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

I have a good friend who has a TT 1.8 with an upgraded turbo, exhaust and is chipped. Runs good but the turbo lag is almost funny. NOTHING happens before 3500 and then BAM! The boost is good once it comes on but you can definately tell it's a tiny engine down low. The handling is not as good as the Z, despite the fact that it has Quattro. More pitch and roll than I care for. It's a fun car and he loves it but it doesn't have the same spirit as the Z. Build quality is really good inside too.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:59 PM
qwsxz

Originally posted by ThrillZ
I know what you mean qwsxz

Do you drive your Z all year round in Chicago and if so, what do you do to "winterize" it?
Negative on the winter driving. I ment pre-winter storage oil-change. My baby will never see snow. It isn't the snow I am worried about, it is the other drivers and the salt/sand/chemical sh|t that they throw on the roads here. I live in the city so the Z is really only a toy/escape/obzezzion for me.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:18 PM
ThrillZ

Originally posted by qwsxz
Negative on the winter driving. I ment pre-winter storage oil-change. My baby will never see snow. It isn't the snow I am worried about, it is the other drivers and the salt/sand/chemical sh|t that they throw on the roads here. I live in the city so the Z is really only a toy/escape/obzezzion for me.
Hah, again, I know what you mean.

I live downtown also, Lincoln Park. Traffic sucks eh? Nevermind parking! Plus, the city is full of ****** who have no respect for other peoples property. I hate that.

I have a two car garage but I sacrificed my (tiny) back yard to build another garage, just to protect my cars.

Z = garage
M3 = garage
Wife's LandRover = garage
Poor Pathfinder gets the street
Old 12-10-2004, 09:02 PM
cwerdna

TT:
- Has an awful reliability record. Go take a look at the Consumer Reports buying guide issue or April 04 auto issue or a their auto summary book in a bookstore.
- More expensive to fix and maintain (once your free maint. runs out)
- Slow and expensive. The only one that would be fast is the one w/the new double clutch manumatic, but that's hella expensive.
- You don't want a FWD version of a TT.

+ Interior quality is much better than the Z though.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:25 PM
qwsxz

Originally posted by ThrillZ
Hah, again, I know what you mean.

I live downtown also, Lincoln Park. Traffic sucks eh? Nevermind parking! Plus, the city is full of ****** who have no respect for other peoples property. I hate that.

I have a two car garage but I sacrificed my (tiny) back yard to build another garage, just to protect my cars.

Z = garage
M3 = garage
Wife's LandRover = garage
Poor Pathfinder gets the street
Yes, ditto, it is nice having a garage in Lincoln Park. I couldn't imagine the Z without one. Do you ever drive up on Diversey? I have see a Pikes a couple times there.

-------

To the original topic: there is a fun video on the internet that compares the TT and the 350z on the UK show "Fifth Gear". Google it. Def. worth the watch. Best line is: "The TT is the one you bring to the party to show off, but the Z is the one you want to go home with!"