Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Question About Getting Rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004 | 12:28 PM
fblue

Default Question About Getting Rims

I know nothing about wheels. I have the Enthusiast model, so I think I have 17inch wheels. If I want to go get rims, I see that most are either 18in or 19in. Does anthing else have to be done to the car to add bigger wheels? Anyone have any advice on a good place to get rims? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2004 | 01:38 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

You'll probably have better luck posting in this forum:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-60/
Old 12-10-2004 | 02:16 PM
Built2shredZ

The best place to buy your first set of rims is www.tirerack.com
It will also show you what the rims will look like on the car and what tire sizes you will need to use on those rims...

I buy all my rims and tires from them..
Old 12-10-2004 | 02:25 PM
fblue

Originally posted by Built2shredZ
The best place to buy your first set of rims is www.tirerack.com
It will also show you what the rims will look like on the car and what tire sizes you will need to use on those rims...

I buy all my rims and tires from them..
Thanks, buddy. I'll take a look.
Old 12-10-2004 | 02:26 PM
LanceG33

Default Re: Question About Getting Rims

Originally posted by fblue
I know nothing about wheels. I have the Enthusiast model, so I think I have 17inch wheels. If I want to go get rims, I see that most are either 18in or 19in. Does anthing else have to be done to the car to add bigger wheels? Anyone have any advice on a good place to get rims? Thanks.
Here is very informative 101 on plus sizing your wheels:

Wheels 101

I have bought two sets from Disocunt Tire Direct and they are fast and reputable. They also have the interactive wheel system to see how they look on your car.
Old 12-10-2004 | 07:42 PM
kcobean
Premier Member

The short answer to your question is that no, you don't have to make any modifications to the car to change to a set of aftermarket wheels. Depending on how big you go, rubbing on the fenders can be an issue, but most 19" tires w/ reasonable offsets will fit with no problem.

With a bigger wheel, your speedometer will be slightly off because one revolution of the tire isn't the same as it is with your stock tires. Bigger tires make the car think it's going slower than it actually is.

Bigger wheels tend to bend easier under pothole like impact.

A bigger wheel of equal weight to a smaller wheel will take more initial power to get rotating because the weight is on a larger moment now (further from the hub). Probably not an issue for daily driving.

If you have TCS/VDC, you need to keep the front/rear size ratio within about 3%, otherwise your control systems will falsely detect slip.

Some people have eliminated the stagger (front's smaller than rear's) in their setup, but I wouldn't recommend it since the Nissan Engineers designed the cars handling with this stagger in mind.

Bigger tires will hydroplane easier than smaller tires because the vehicles weight is distributed over a larger contact patch.

If you have the Tire Pressure Sensor system on your car, some mods might be necessary to mount the sensors in aftermarket wheels.

If you have an '03 and you have feathering issues, non-OEM wheels/tires will void the extended warranty that Nissan is offering '03 owners.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but this should get you started.