Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What does "Z" mean to you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 08:25 PM
drake3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, I remember the first ride in my friend's 280 turbo. Damn, what a sweet ride. Fast, but an automatic. Then some way he borrowed a friends manual 280 non-turbo. We were both in high school and lusted after speed. That was when I got hooked.

I went to college, working at the same time. A cherry '87 300ZX came up for sale at a brand new Lexus dealership. Some doctor that babied it put it up for sale because he was starting a family. My lucky day. Lexus was trying to impress people with thier service and I wanted the car. My parents helped out a little and I was loving life, in college with a 3 year old pristine Z. I moved onto real life after college, the Z was starting to show age and my parents wanted a new car. They traded me the Z for a newer 4-runner they bought new and I was happy for while. Starting after college I needed the space to buy furniture and stuff. I also didn't need any more repair bills for my aging baby.

After a couple of years I got my stuff together and started looking for another used Z. I found a nice '94 sapphire blue 300ZX. Same story - 1 doctor owner, starting family - needed 4 door. I was in love again. I kept it for 3 years and then sold it to my brother. I was starting a new job which made me travel ALOT. I was never home to use it. Nissan stopped producing the wonderful car somewhere in there and after I quit consulting I was looking for a new car. I found BMW's very appealing and got a new 2000 328ci. Now I am ready to come home.

2 seats, 6 gears, 4 wide tires down and all I need is curvy, curvy road to feel like I am in heaven again.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:32 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by nbdyfcnsqnc
Labels like "Z," "Nissan," "Toyota," and "Camry" mean almost nothing to me. I could not care less about herritage, either. We always have to be careful not to confuse symbols like "Z" with real things. The real thing is the car we pay 26-30 odd dollars to buy. And I think we all know what we want, so I won't bother reviewing.

Yes, the Z's have been great cars, and a lot of people love them. But that doesn't mean they always will be. It's up to us to be vigilant, or Nissan might make a crappy car and just call it a Z. No car company, commercial, or magazine will do that for us.

I can sum it up very simply. I want a car that's so good, it doesn't need an advertizing campaign. And that's the only thing that scares me so far.
Great post. I definitely like your thought on ensuring that we as the consumers never get blinded into accepting a sub-standard car. I never thought of it along those lines. Very well stated, indeed.