2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What does "Z" mean to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002 | 06:07 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Question What does "Z" mean to you?

Friends & countrymen:

Buying a car like the Z is something a lot more deeply-rooted than something like leasing a Toyota Camry. To each buyer, the car symbolizes something unique which defines something about that person.

After almost getting in trouble in another thread, I wanted to try to open up a friendly discussion about what the Z means to the members of this forum. Maybe you had a family member with a Z from way back when. Maybe you're a Z owner three times over. Maybe this is a first car (which is an enviable situation).

What does buying a legendary car like this mean to you? (If anything at all -- maybe some folks are buying it just because they saw it and liked it.)

I'll start it off...

My Z lineage is traceable to 1970, when my father bought his 240Z. I distinctly remember sitting in that car in his garage, rowing through the gears pretending I was a race car driver. As I grew older, I hoped and hoped that one day he'd give me that car.
Years later, I became great friends with the owners of the dealership where my father bought his Z. I kept waiting for a 94 or 95 TT Z to show up on the used lot, but nothing ever came up. 1996 was a particularly dark year when the Z was discontinued. Then the rumors started about Nissan bringing back the Z, which started a fanatical desire to follow the car's development, go to auto shows, etc, etc, etc.
January 15th came around, and I never felt more pride than when I ordered up my 350Z. I instantly felt proud that I was continuing the Z heritage my father began eons ago. I was committed to honoring his car by trying to keep it close to my perception of what the Z was originally about -- simple affordable performance. After looking at the packages, my first slant was towards the track package, but there were no pictures yet available of the wheels or aero package, and I was uncomfortable ordering something which I hadn't seen yet. (Little did I know that Nissan would allow you to change the order.)
So, I decided that the Performance package was my best way to pay homage to the legendary Zs of the past. I like the less-is-more approach, and can't wait to see my baby get unloaded from the trailer sometime in September, and finally know what it's like to drive a legend. (plus I can't wait to see the side-by-side pictures of my father's silver 240Z and my silver 350Z.)
Old 06-17-2002 | 06:25 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

Going through my 2nd midlife crisis...or is this my third...whatever, I saw it..fell in lust with it...bought it..and, as always, now I'm waiting for it to fulfill my dreams
Old 06-17-2002 | 07:02 PM
wxtornado

I've been in the market for a new car for a while. Was surfing the edmunds site to check some specs on a Maxima, and when i clicked on the Nissan link, the 350z was listed at the top. Clicked on it, fell in love, and now somebody is pregnant with my Z and I wish they'd hurry up and deliver..........
Old 06-17-2002 | 07:34 PM
mi350z

For me it's the continuation of a relationship started 25 years ago when I purchased a 1978 280Z. I still have it and store it each winter since I live in Michigan. It should be fun, 2 Z's 25 years apart! Now if only I could get my wife as excited about the idea of 2 Z's as I am!
Old 06-17-2002 | 07:54 PM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

i have been looking for a new car since i graduated 2 years ago. i was so tempted to buy a corvette until i saw the Z last year. i have been obessed with it ever since. hehe, this will be my first new car.
Old 06-17-2002 | 07:58 PM
Jill

I wasn't even looking for a new car. I knew I needed one, but I wasn't serious about any car I looked at - probably cuz I didn't like any of them, everything that was out was just "eh"... I went on the Nissan site for some wacky reason, and saw the Z. Clicked on the Daytona Blue, and Tada! Went and put a deposit down on it the next week. No history with Z's...No parents that drove Z's...No friends that drove Z's...Just luck I guess. Maybe I'll start that tradition for my family (when I decide to have one in 10-15 years... )
Old 06-17-2002 | 08:29 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

This is my third Z, a used '74 260Z was my first car ever and an '88 300ZX. I think Nissan makes great cars, and I had always liked the concept of the Z -- fun sports car -- reasonable price. I lost interest in the Zs with the 90-96 version because I just did not think the Z should be a $40K car (in 1990 dollars). When I heard the Z was coming back out starting at $26K, I knew I wanted to buy one because I thought Nissan had returned the Z to its roots, fun sports car --reasonble price. It now appears to be that Nissan has gone beyond the Z's original roots -- GREAT FRICKEN SPORTS CAR (and fun) -- REASONABLY PRICED.
Old 06-17-2002 | 08:47 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

What the Z means to me.

The Z is quite possiblely the most known Sportscar in the world next to the Vette & Porsche 911. Unlike the other 2, the Z has always been known for great performance at a reasonable cost to the average person. All these things are carried through to the 350Z as best as I can tell, or maybe I'm out in left field and talking out my ***, I'll let you decide.
Old 06-17-2002 | 08:48 PM
BigBadBuford

I don't have a history with Zs. Our family has had a tradition of buying Datsuns/Nissans though. I kept that tradition going when I bought my 240SX a few years ago. I was looking for a new car starting last year and was looking at BMWs mostly until I saw the new Z Concept. After seeing it, I knew that is what I had to buy, plus it would be a perfect step up from the 240SX. Now, I just can't wait until September for my car to arrive!
Old 06-17-2002 | 08:53 PM
TCL

The original Z was billed as "the peoples' sports car" and I think the 350 is in keeping with that philosophy. It also seems to have the right mix of everything to be the ideal sports car.
Old 06-17-2002 | 09:11 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by LS350Z
What the Z means to me.

The Z is quite possiblely the most known Sportscar in the world next to the Vette & Porsche 911. Unlike the other 2, the Z has always been known for great performance at a reasonable cost to the average person. All these things are carried through to the 350Z as best as I can tell, or maybe I'm out in left field and talking out my ***, I'll let you decide.
You're right on the money. I can't wait to see the comparisons that the magazines will make. If the numbers hold up, the 350Z ought to hold its own again cars costing twice as much. (And it'll make me feel mighty smart every time I pull out of my driveway)

Anyone else ever see that History Channel special on the Z Car? They really do a great job of telling the story of the Z, from its birth in Japan through the days of John Morton and Paul Newman racing Zs in SCCA events, and up to the last version. It's a GREAT piece for any Z aficionado's collection. Amazon link included below...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...362165-4555848
Old 06-17-2002 | 09:31 PM
MSOsr

First drove a Z in the early 70's.......a friend bought one of the first 240s.

In April of 1989, I tired of American iron and bought one of the new 1990 300ZXs.....beautiful car.....black with tan interior. BUT...

When I first drove a twin turbo, I knew I had to have it. June of 1992 I traded in my basic Z and got a black TT with gray interior. What a hauling machine!

Unfortunately, my kids were playing sports and I never could carpool (could only pick up my own child). To save my marriage, I went to the dark side and bought a BMW. I am now finishing up my 3d BMW lease and returning to my roots.......Z's for me!
Old 06-17-2002 | 10:22 PM
Z CRAZY
Charter Member #67

This will be my third Z-car. My first was an 84 Turbo which still sits in the garage (now my son drives it when he's home from college). The second was a 91TT that was stage 3. I had planned on keeping it for a long time when I bought it. It became a distraction two years ago when my wife became ill with cancer, so I sold it.

The 350Z is a present to myself. My wife passed away last year and I have decided that it is time for me to have my sports car again. I will keep it for many years.
Old 06-17-2002 | 10:28 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by Z CRAZY
This will be my third Z-car. My first was an 84 Turbo which still sits in the garage (now my son drives it when he's home from college). The second was a 91TT that was stage 3. I had planned on keeping it for a long time when I bought it. It became a distraction two years ago when my wife became ill with cancer, so I sold it.

The 350Z is a present to myself. My wife passed away last year and I have decided that it is time for me to have my sports car again. I will keep it for many years.
Z Crazy:

I remember having those dreams of getting a 90's TT and taking it up to stage three or four. Too bad the TTs were hard to come by in the used lots.

Like you, I plan to keep my 350Z for a long time. I went so far as to tell my father I'll NEVER sell this car. He told me to just wait until I get married and have a wife nagging me about "that car".

Any woman who wants to be with me had better understand that my first girlfriend will be my Z...

It's really nice to see so many people who are as into the history of the Z as I am. I find Mr. K to be something of an automotive role model, and it really gives me a keen sense of pride to see the 350Z continue his vision.
Old 06-17-2002 | 10:36 PM
tbcz

Z CRAZY,

I'm very sorry for your loss. Hopefully the new Z will provide you with some joy to make up for the sorrow you've been through.

Personally, I got my first Z in response to a kind of loss...it was after the breakup of my marriage, which left me...well...we'll just say I wasn't happy. So, as a present for myself I bought a '91 300ZX. I loved that car more than anything. I looked forward to every minute in that car for the four years and 110,000 miles I had it. I said it before in a thread on zcar a long time ago...if I'm half as happy with the new Z as I was with my 300ZX, then I can't wait...