Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can I get a ticket for chirping my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 09:48 PM
synergytheory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd get done for wreckless driving in Australia, and if you were in an area where street racers hang out you'd probably get searched for illegal mods.

On a side note, has anyone had their Z sideways? how do they drift? With VDC switched off.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:03 PM
dresz

When you chirp your tires in Virginia it is a reckless driving offense for "failing to maintain control" of your vehicle.

Why? If the tires are spinning and your car is not moving at the same speed (even for a second) you do not have total control of your car. This also aplies to braking; as long as you are in a skid you do not have total control.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:21 AM
rai

Thanks a lot for the advice. luckily I didn't get a ticket but if I had I could always bring in a dyno of the S2000, "it's got no torque so therefore I couldn't have chirped my tires".
Old 11-05-2002, 06:01 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Yeah, you can get a ticket. I was with a friend driving her truck and her back tires spun a little (in the rain) while she was taking off, and a cop actually wrote her up for exhibition of speed. It was really ridiculous, but I think she would've gotten a warning if she was a little more polite.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:22 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you chirp your tires in Virginia it is a reckless driving offense for "failing to maintain control" of your vehicle.

Why? If the tires are spinning and your car is not moving at the same speed (even for a second) you do not have total control of your car. This also aplies to braking; as long as you are in a skid you do not have total control.
And in VA, reckless driving stays on your record for 7 years or something ridiculous.

Another problem with VA, they'll write you a ticket for anything since they can interpret the law at their discretion at the scene, and the adjudication process determines whether you are guilty or not.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New York Vehicle & Traffic Law

S 1212. Reckless driving. Reckless driving shall mean driving or using any motor vehicle, motorcycle or any other vehicle propelled by any power other than muscular power or any appliance or accessory thereof in a manner which unreasonably interferes with the free and proper use of the public highway, or unreasonably endangers users of the public high-way. Reckless driving is prohibited. Every person violating this provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:48 PM
futuredeadguy

Originally posted by Intrepid
New York Vehicle & Traffic Law

S 1212. Reckless driving....which unreasonably interferes with the free and proper use of the public highway....
So as long as your interference is 'reasonable', go for it.

Dead
Old 11-08-2002, 06:39 PM
mike952

I chirped them by accident doing a U-turn...and that was only because I stepped on the gas like I do on my honda...

Originally posted by ares
I did a peel around a corner and got a ticket for running a stopsign, which I didnt run, but from his angle he just saw me tearing around a turn, didnt notice that I started from a standstill. but yeah anyway, peeling the tires is reckless driving if nothing else. you could easily say you are new to driving a manual and made a mistake, or the person next to you gave you the finger and made you nervous.

any number of reason why you may have mistakenly chirped the tires.