Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can I get a ticket for chirping my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 05:36 PM
rai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get a ticket for chirping my tires?

Today I was taking off from a redlight and "chirped" my tires maybe for 1/2 sec (or less), no burn out at all. I was going on to a highway on-ramp and did not exceed 50 mph. All of the sudden I see this cop rushing up behind me, with his lights on for me to pull over.

Long story short the dude asks me if there's something wrong with my transmission. I go "no why?". He asks why I was "peeling out?"

Anyway I got off with a verbal warning.

I just want to know if I could have gotten a ticket? I did not peel out. I did rev the engine to 5-6K and side step the clutch. I think I got a chirp maybe a tire revolution or two.

I find that whenever I get off with a warning it is because I did nothing wrong and the cop is just trying to act like a big man. One time I got a warning for doing 59 in a 55 zone.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Last WS6

Yes. They can give you a ticket for it. I dont know but it would seem like it would be an easy ticket to fight.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:43 PM
rouxeny

Pretty much, they can give you a ticket for anything and chalk it up to "reckless driving." I think you'd have some luck fighting it, but it might be tough.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:46 PM
Grey Matter

I think they can give you one for 'Exibition of Speed' even if you are not speeding (more just showing off). I once got a ticket for coming around a turn to fast (and fishtailing while doing it) and it was for vialation of something like 'The Basic Speed Law'.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:51 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a peel around a corner and got a ticket for running a stopsign, which I didnt run, but from his angle he just saw me tearing around a turn, didnt notice that I started from a standstill. but yeah anyway, peeling the tires is reckless driving if nothing else. you could easily say you are new to driving a manual and made a mistake, or the person next to you gave you the finger and made you nervous.

any number of reason why you may have mistakenly chirped the tires.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:52 PM
N74DV

out here in AZ you can get a ticket for that and it could fall under a couple laws.

what comes to mind is exhibition of speed, wreckless driving, driving not reasonable and prudent.

Usually chirping or fast intersection launches are at the discretion of the cop and most will just let you off with a warning.

I just got pulled over on friday for swinging across 2 lanes after making a right turn. I shoulda stayed in the inside lane but clipped the apex and exited wide if ya know what I mean... motorcycle cop was right there to see me... pulled me over but only gave me a warning. He was pretty cool about it.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:52 PM
Hereje0

no ticket but i did get a warning for chirping the tires in a 98 corolla lol. my friends didnt think it was powerful enough to pull off any kind of a peelout. They were almost right, too bad there was a cop around the corner about a half block away.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:01 PM
TriX

Have seen a ticket given for something like mentioned above exhibition of speed.

M3 pulled to an intersection (older model) reved the engine (3 lane road, cop was a couple of cars behind). He started on the green and just let the sucker spin out a couple of times.

Sure enough the cop turned the lights on and stoped him.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:16 PM
GamblerZ

I've seen tickets handed out for "chirping" at a red light or stop sign. It was called "exhibition of acceleration".
Old 11-04-2002, 06:28 PM
rai

Man, I should have gotten a Z. From all the stories it seems like the cops really love the Z. Always giving the Z driver the thumbs up or tip of the cap.

Same story except put me in a Z. Cop walks up and sais: "is this the new Z? can I have a ride? is the bose really that bad?"

LOL
Old 11-04-2002, 06:38 PM
Driven

"Exhibition of acceleration" and "exhibition of speed"? Never heard of them before...here in WI you can get one for "excessive acceleration," but can usually be challanged in court. If you do get one, probably the best arguement...if you are still relatively new to the vehicle...would be to claim inexperience. Tell the DA that you've never owned a vehicle before with this much torque, and are still getting aquanted with the clutch. For that matter, try and tell the story to the cop first in an attempt to get the warning instead of the ticket! Good luck.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Hereje0

or put yourself in the position i was in. guess the cop thought it was funny imagining the corolla trying to get those little tires to spin. He was already laughing by the time he walked up to my window
Old 11-04-2002, 06:43 PM
DrAxe

Heh, I got a ticket for "improper acceleration" chirping tires in first and second in my 280Z in college. I got up to 45 miles per hour soooo fast, then let off the gas, i thought the guy behind me was trying to race me, just as i was about to stomp on the gas again.. the blues came on.. all he could get me on was "improper acceleration"..
Old 11-04-2002, 06:54 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

That should be called "exhibition of friction."
Old 11-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Hereje0

getting to the speed limit too fast sounds like a pretty accurate description
Old 11-04-2002, 08:16 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most states have no such laws. And in the ones that do, the laws are unconstitutionally vague. Does the law specify the exact acceleration in g's? Does the cop have a device that can measure acceleration? And does the driver have an accelerometer in his car? No? Then it's most likely too vague and can not be enforced - legally speaking.

As far a burning rubber and leaving tread marks on public payment, that's another matter. In the states that do have laws that prohibit this specifically, it's certainly enforceable and easy to prove. But "chirping" your tires between gears...come on. Unless it rises to the level of reckless driving, I don't think they have a case.

Last edited by Intrepid; 11-04-2002 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:35 PM
GamblerZ

The most unbelievable thing that happened to me was in a small town outside of Lubbock...Slaton, TX. In college I was picking up a buddy at the town square(yes, town square). As we rumbled through town in my '72 454 LS-7 Corvette Stingray, I apparently pissed off the local yocals and was promptly pulled over by the Sheriff. After she(yes, she) got finished yelling at me about causing a "disturbance" with the local kids, she gave me a warning for "excessive potential". I laughed...my friend laughed...and so did her deputy.

I kept the warning in an old scrapbook with my other Stingray stuff tucked away in storage for posterity. It will make a good story for my grandchildren when there are no fossil fuel cars.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:37 PM
futuredeadguy

Default acceleration

Fortunately it's been awhile since I was pulled over or received a ticket. Maybe things have changed since then.

Used to be, the officer had to write down the state statute you had violated. Is that no longer the case? Sounds like this bogus charge might be easily beaten if you asked them to tell you what law you had broken, either in the squad car or in court.

Would love to see some of the site's attorneys chime in on this.

Dead
Old 11-04-2002, 08:57 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that reckless driving catches it all. driving in an unsafe manner, which peeling the tires would include. its just that simple. they will write that code, and that will be what you were ticketed for. sad thing is that offense is very serious. often containing more serious offenses like extreme speeding.

moral of the story, look around real good before chirping tires.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:31 PM
michael350

I got a ticket in my supra for IMPROPER START!!!!!!.... i took off fast but didnt chirp or peel out... just simply took off to fa st. and i took it to court and lost. how F'ed up is that???? 3 point by the way

Quick Reply: Can I get a ticket for chirping my tires?