Sponsored by:

How much should speeding ticket representation cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 08:08 PM
lauderdale75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should speeding ticket representation cost

All:

If you recall, last October I got a traffic ticket in Southern Georgia while driving back my new car from NC. I was traveling 87/70 zone. The lawyer is asking $500 for representation to negotiate a speed reduction and to avoid points on my license. I will also have to pay the standard court fee.

Since I have never before got a ticket, and, I dont have a prior record, I think the fee is a little excessive.

Can anyone please let me know if this fee is commensurate with the work. Incidentally, if you all have a contact in S. Georgia (about 20 minutes south of Savannah in Chatham or McIntosh counties), please send it to my attention (by PM or email)

Thanks in advance
Chirag
Old 11-04-2002, 08:17 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: How much should speeding ticket representation cost

Originally posted by lauderdale75
All:

If you recall, last October I got a traffic ticket in Southern Georgia while driving back my new car from NC. I was traveling 87/70 zone. The lawyer is asking $500 for representation to negotiate a speed reduction and to avoid points on my license. I will also have to pay the standard court fee.

Since I have never before got a ticket, and, I dont have a prior record, I think the fee is a little excessive.

Can anyone please let me know if this fee is commensurate with the work. Incidentally, if you all have a contact in S. Georgia (about 20 minutes south of Savannah in Chatham or McIntosh counties), please send it to my attention (by PM or email)

Thanks in advance
Chirag
I don't know if this will help, but here in Florida where you are it is usually around 100 bucks.

If the ticket was in Georgia, will it show up in your Florida record? If not then just pay the ticket. If you don't know about whether it will show here let me know and I will ask.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:24 PM
dresz

If the courts in GA are the same as they are in VA, don't waste your money on a lawyer. He can not say anything that you can't say yourself. In VA if you have a clean driving record (bring it to court), apologize, and ask for driving school, the judge will normally put you on probation. Driving school and probation suck but you will keep your clean record...if you don't get caught again.

The advantage the lawyer has is the experience in dealing with the court/judge. S/he knows what the judge usually does in a situation like yours and what to say to achieve a different outcome...based on prior like cases. You can gain this experience by simply sitting in the court room and listening to the judges decisions. Keep in mind it must be the same judge that is going to hear your case.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:34 PM
dresz

Default Re: Re: How much should speeding ticket representation cost

Originally posted by westpak
If the ticket was in Georgia, will it show up in your Florida record? If not then just pay the ticket. If you don't know about whether it will show here let me know and I will ask.
If he used a FL drivers license it will show up on his FL record. Likewise, he will now have a record in GA (even though he does not have a license in that state).

This is not always the case, only with reciprocal states. FL and GA are reciprocal states.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:56 PM
GamblerZ

You should inquire whether the court offers "deferred adjudication" if you plead "nolo contendere"(no contest). This is like a 6 month probation with little expense to you and will not appear on your record.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:40 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I think $500 sounds reasonable. I've heard of up to $800. But I don't think I'd pay. I'd just buy a book and do it myself,
Old 11-05-2002, 04:22 AM
CoachZ

Originally posted by GamblerZ
You should inquire whether the court offers "deferred adjudication" if you plead "nolo contendere"(no contest). This is like a 6 month probation with little expense to you and will not appear on your record.
In a lot of states, like Florida, it's actually "withheld adjudication" that you file for. It's no court appearance, no points, but you still pay the fine. That's what your $500 ticket lawyer will file for.

Try "The Ticket Clinic" here in Lauderdale, they advertise $69 for first time offenders, Chirag.

Josh
Old 11-05-2002, 05:30 AM
lauderdale75

All:

Thanks for the advise - I will consider it, and see if I have alternate routes. There are several traffic clinics here locally (Ft. Lauderdale), and because of their low effective cost of representation, I guess Ive been spoiled. I would definately like to go to court on the date noted on the ticket, however it is over 350 miles away, and I definately dont want to risk another ticket.

Again, I truly appreciate the help.
Chirag
Old 11-05-2002, 06:15 AM
FLZMan

If you want to fight the ticket. leave the lawyer out of it, show up on the appointed time and date. more than likely the cop won't be there. If he is not there that equates to case dismissed. If he does show, take the I am sorry route, ask for drivers school. The fine should be far less than the $500 lawyers fee.

If the cop does show ask to see the documents that verify the radar was calibriated if he can't produce then ask for dismissal since he can't legally prove you were speeding.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:06 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by FLZMan
If you want to fight the ticket. leave the lawyer out of it, show up on the appointed time and date. more than likely the cop won't be there. If he is not there that equates to case dismissed. If he does show, take the I am sorry route, ask for drivers school. The fine should be far less than the $500 lawyers fee.

If the cop does show ask to see the documents that verify the radar was calibriated if he can't produce then ask for dismissal since he can't legally prove you were speeding.
The problem is that he would have to fly drive to Georgia to fight the ticket, and that point the lawyer might be cheaper or close, that is probably why the lawyer is charging 500 bucks because he figures you will have similar costs or more and he has a better chance or getting it taken care of. Fighting tickest is not just that you are in the right but the lwayers have relationships with DA's and can get stuff done easier maybe even without stepping a foot in court.

If it was me and the guy had a money back garanty I would pay them the 500 bucks.