Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 08:09 AM
mattvols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this problem too
Old 11-22-2002, 08:12 AM
Pelzi

I have had a lot of trouble with this same problem as well, so it definitely is not 'user error'. Must be a problem with the fill tube design.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:25 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 fillups thus far, and no problems of this sort yet... quite odd. keep us updated, cause it sounds like this will happen later in the cars life.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:51 AM
wooglin

glad I'm not the only aggie having this issue. On my first fill up, I got to about half a tank when if shut off. The 2 fill ups since then have been fine...weird!
Old 11-22-2002, 09:47 AM
Sabre

Well, the first time, I had a lot of trouble pumping gas. I had to gently squeeze the handle until I could get a decent flow or else I would have been there for an hour. The last couple times I've filled up, I have had no problems. I guess some others have experienced this.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:53 AM
rich Mason

So far, I've filled up, or tried to four or five times. Twice have had problems like this. In both cases, a Checron with the rubber bellows on the nozzle. Different nozzle, same station, same problem. Different Chevron, but with the rubber thingie, no problem. At least twice at the same Texaco, no problem. I think it's more related to the nozzle and how well it's maintained than to any design quirks with the Z.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:31 AM
Moroccan_Mole

filled the z up twice so far ... the only problem pumping gas is trying to get away from the gas station and all the people coming up and asking questions :P
Old 11-22-2002, 11:57 AM
drivebywire

Similar experience. Specially the last one when pump shutdown early and I started again... and got overspilled!
Old 11-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Xeinth

Pooooooooooor aggieeeeeeeeeesss

=)

X
Old 11-22-2002, 02:49 PM
huge

Call me crazy but it seems I never get the full 20 gallons in my tank despite the needle pointing to full after I fill up, with 60 miles to empty.... It usually pumps to about 14-15 gallons max.....
Old 11-22-2002, 03:53 PM
iboost

I've experienced the same problem in my Z as well.... it is soooo frustrating. I always go to the same gas station (Chevron), same 2 pumps and the problems happens intermittently.

What I do is pump gas and wait for the wretched thing to click. Fine. Remove the nozzle completely from the tank. Insert again. Squeeze nozzle. If things don't work out, then back nozzle out a bit. No luck? Back the nozzle out a little more.

If that STILL doesn't work, then do the opposite -- push the nozzle in deeper than usual. Apply some force and hold it there (assuming pump nozzle has that rubber boot). Squeeze trigger and enjoy the gas... hopefully.

I go through this routine at least once a week... I'm heading to the dealer on Monday to get the Bose amp replacement installed and I'll be sure to ask them if they've heard similar complaints or know anything.

-iboost
Old 11-24-2002, 07:25 AM
My_Tampa_Z

Kudos to bringing this up. I thought it was just me.....Very Annoying....Love to see what Nissan Has to say about this but its the kind of question that will result in the "user error" response....c'mon we all know how to pump gas!
Old 11-24-2002, 08:59 AM
hoglecl

I have tghe same problem off and on since I got the car about 3 months ago. I check to see if the gauge to see if the tank is full before I finsih as I never know if it is full or I am having the problem will trying to fill the tank.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:03 PM
lmmontey

My first fillup I had a problem (previously described). No problems on my second and third fillup (all at different stations). Fourth time, though, I started to fill the 3/4 empty tank and only got 5 gallons into it before it started clicking off. Could not fill it any further except for .02 at a time. I drove to another station 4 miles away and it filled up the rest of the way with no problem. I don't have a clue why. I did nothing different on any of the fillups.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:49 PM
nwind21

Originally posted by TalonZ
I've filled my "Z" up twice and had this problem both times. The fuel pump would repeatedly "cut off" each time I pulled the handle to dispense fuel. Both fill-ups have been at the same station but different pumps. I never leave my car running while I pump fuel.

The local gas stations have rubber boots around the pump's fuel nozzle. This rubber boot is supposed to seal around the neck of the car's fuel tank to prevent gasoline fumes from escaping into the atmosphere.

Believing that the pump cuts off by sensing pressure, I reached into the fuel door of the "Z" with my left hand and pulled this boot away from the tank neck. With my right hand, I actuated the handle to dispense the fuel. As soon as I pulled the handle, the pump began to run. End of problem.
I've had this problem on my Accord every so often when filling my tank. I usually do what TalonZ metioned ( pull back the rubber boots ) and notice a distinct *whoosh* side of air escaping. On those days that the pump gives me grief, I just hold the bootie till I hit about 10-12 gallons and stop.

Try this when filling the Z... it might be the same problem. Also watch out, the fumes escaping when you don't have the boot sealing is pretty noxious... err.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:53 AM
TCL

I had the problem on my third fill up. I rotated the fuel nozzle clockwise 45 degrees and the gas went in fine.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:58 AM
johnlotusboy

No problems ... Until the fourth fill had 1/2 a tank and was going on a trip would only take 3.5 gallons then nothing more. left the station with 3/4 of a tank who knows?
Old 11-25-2002, 09:23 AM
abz123

Sounds like you guys need to talk to the gas station owners. Seems they have equipment problems. Have noticed this problem at certain gas stations and at certain pumps with other cars.

Filled up only once so far...no glitches.

Seems to be about 4 gallons for every quarter of a tank(on the gauge)...with 4 gallons in reserve.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:03 AM
iboost

Just a quick update: Spoke to my service manager and he told me he hadn't heard of this problem and doesn't know what may be causing it.

On an unrelated note: the replacement amp on my touring model's audio system makes the Bose system sound better... still not exemplary, but much more tolerable. I can actually listen to talk radio and not have tons of bass come on and drown out the voices.

-iboost
Old 11-25-2002, 11:15 AM
mickey

Default Report to Nissan USA

It must be frustrating hanging out at the gas pump any longer than needed.

Anyone with the gas problem should log a "Case" with NNA...
www.nissanusa.com and click on "Contact Nissan" at the bottom. Be sure to get a case number from them. These cases will get looked over and investigated by Nissan(hopefully!)
Going to dealer is fine, but if dealer does not report to Nissan... then, to Nissan HQ, it's like there is no problem with the car, and no recall will ever be issued.

mickey

Quick Reply: Problems pumping gas....