Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Cold weather = odd noises?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:03 AM
maxfaraday311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather = odd noises?

I have only had my 04 Touring for 2 weeks or so, and it just started getting really cold here in Virginia. I have noticed when I don't keep the car in the garage and I go off to work in the wee hours of the morning the car makes an odd whine when I accelerate. It only occurs between 0 and about 2500 RPMs and once I get the car over 4000 once or twice it doesn't do it anymore. It sounds like something to do with a belt. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:35 AM
ttsupra94

Are you letting the car warm up for a little before driving? I usually sit there until the temp gauge goes up in the normal range and then i still take it slow. Cold weather is going to cause some noises cause things are cold but usually go away or lessen once they warm up. Honestly though, i've gotten so paranoid about hearing noises that i dont pay attention to it anymore. I just make sure i let it warm up and then take it easy until i know the engine is warmed up.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:36 AM
ANXIOUZ

It does sound like a cold belt. When you keep the car in the garage, does it still make the whine?

Also, why the hell are you leaving your Z outside when it's cold!?! It has feelings you know.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:11 AM
maxfaraday311

Originally posted by maximXL
It does sound like a cold belt. When you keep the car in the garage, does it still make the whine?

Also, why the hell are you leaving your Z outside when it's cold!?! It has feelings you know.
I let the car warm up as much as I can, but I have to get to work. I have an hour commute everyday and I usually leave at the last minute. I take it easy on the car until it warms up, shifting below 3k I figured that's better than nothing. The car is in the driveway because I live with two other people who also have cars. I leave first in the morning, so its either park in the garage and move two cars around and then pull mine out and move the other two back, or park in the driveway. Also my roomies WRX is currently not exactly running so he needs it in the garage to work on it.

I figured it was just a cold belt, just wondering if anyone else had the problem. I guess I'll have to hold back on some other mods and get an aftermarket alarm with remote start like my old car. That way I can start her up while i'm getting dressed in the AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:24 AM
ttsupra94

I get up at about 430 and i usually drive an f250 turbo diesel in the morning. I turn it on and let it sit for about 20 minutes before i leave. It takes forever for a diesel to warm up. I have to drive about 10 miles before the heater shoots out warm air. Just bought an engine block heater to help that problem though

I never start driving a car immediately when its cold out (except when i drive my parents minivan, cause i dont really care about that thing lol). At the least I will give it 3 or 4 minutes before i head out. My car also has to stay outside, dont feel bad.