Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day driving questions/comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 03:45 AM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First day driving questions/comments

ok, i picked up the car with 230 miles on it yesterday at 12pm. when i got home tonight i had put a little over 140 miles on it. i am in love with this car. this was the first car that i have driven a manual in for more than 5-6 minutes. i have to say that it is one of the easiest cars to drive. i chose to completely ignore any and all break in procedures and i've redlined it probably about 4 times yesterday. i bought this car to enjoy, and i have the 60,000 miles warranty, so even if the engine does take a dump on the road, i'm covered. ok, here are the driving impressions. just to know where i am coming from, my last vehicle was a 1998 GMC Sierra extended cab with a 350 putting down 206hp and 276 ft/lb with stock suspension. THIS CAR HANLDES LIKE A DREAM. i can take turns i never thought possible. i had a really close friend who is a girl in the car with me last night and we saw a cobra and a mazda6 f-in around on the highway. i decided to fall inline. the cobra exited pretty quick but the mazda stayed with me for about 10 minutes. we finally found an open stretch and we went at it till 140. he couldnt even begin to keep up. the thing that was the most surprising, this car as stable at 140 as it did at 100. i was amazed. i also can't really keep from speeding unless i use the cruise control! this car is like making me press the pedal. i am just elated with it. it's more than i ever dreamed it would be. ok, now here are a few questions.

1)why is the shifter always so notchy? especially into 1 and 2
2)will putting it through such a beating really f-up the engine that bad?
3) what is the very first mod i should get? i was thinking exhaust. suggestions?

ps. now i see why everyone on this board is so passionate about their cars. all i find myself doing is thinking about driving the car. that's all. the bad thing is, today i get my wisdom teeth out. i'm going to be on vicodin for the next 3 days. i wont be able to drive at all. oh btw, i'm 18.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:16 AM
zbrid

better read your owner's manual, the break-in period is 1,200 miles & you shouldn't take it over 4k rpm for 1,200 miles.

Last edited by zbrid; 12-29-2004 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:59 AM
ttsupra94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, its not wise to be that hard on it so early on. Regardless of whether you have a warranty or not you should let the engine break in. Plus 1200 miles will go by very quick, so its not like you have to wait around forever till you can be a little more harsh on the engine.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Z-Stalker

Damaging your engine in some degree does not mean the warranty will necessarily cover it.

For example, beating it like that so early may simply mean that you begin blowing oil later down the road possibly after the 60k mark.

Z-Stalker
Old 12-29-2004, 08:46 AM
marhot

Default Re: First day driving questions/comments

Originally posted by 350ZTwinTurbo
...we went at it till 140
... the thing that was the most surprising, this car as stable at 140 as it did at 100.
... i also can't really keep from speeding unless i use the cruise control! this car is like making me press the pedal.

oh btw, i'm 18.
*sigh*

I just hope you make it until you're 28...
Old 12-29-2004, 09:12 AM
TurK

wow moron
Old 12-29-2004, 09:28 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is serious dispute over whether or not break in should be done gently as the manual suggests, or as the car will be driven, much like you are doing. I'll put money on the fact that some guys who followed the manual will have engine problems before you do, that's just the nature of things. I wouldn't worry about it too much. And while I don't condone your driving, most if not all of the critics here have done something similar, so take the flames with a grain of salt.

As for first mod, exhaust isn't a bad one, but I would consider doing intake (plenum) at the same time. A free-er flowing exhaust will cost you some low-end torque, so you might try to balance the equation.

Congrats on the new car, and enjoy the vicodin. Remember, **** happens, and at high speeds, you'll have almost no time to react to it. You might consider finding a track for your "spirited" driving needs.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:51 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Any guesses on how long it will be before this guy is reporting he crashed his Zzzzzz? Or it is reported in a paper somewhere?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:58 AM
JoneZZZ

QUOTE]And while I don't condone your driving, most if not all of the critics here have done something similar, so take the flames with a grain of salt.... .......

+1

enjoy the ride....and be careful.....
Old 12-29-2004, 12:12 PM
dirtyelk

i say 4-5 months brickyard.... wuts your guess
Old 12-29-2004, 12:19 PM
91na

If you guys would give him some good "fatherlike" info instead of betting on how soon his car will be totaled (and in turn, add to your insurance) I bet it would be a month longer amount of time (if at all.)

You definitely have an awesome car, just remember to be careful and don't do anything too put anyone's life in danger. Take it to a track if you REALLY wanna know what your car can do.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:26 PM
MA4

I guess this is what everyone sees when you fly past them at 100+mph?

you got it up to 140mph? someone should report you to the police. I think I will.

Last edited by MA4; 12-29-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:41 PM
marhot

Originally posted by 91na
If you guys would give him some good "fatherlike" info instead of betting on how soon his car will be totaled (and in turn, add to your insurance) I bet it would be a month longer amount of time (if at all.)

You definitely have an awesome car, just remember to be careful and don't do anything too put anyone's life in danger. Take it to a track if you REALLY wanna know what your car can do.
Here is some "fatherly" advice; read this old thread (and check out the picture).

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=51225
Old 12-29-2004, 12:42 PM
MA4

just busting your chops...since you forgot to use your 'disclaimer' good luck with the Z and please be safe.

**Notice**
This is all fiction. Any similarities to actual events or complaints received are strictly coincidental. I just like telling stories about my car that is not intercooled, force inducted by twin turbos, or other modifications which may or may not be acceptable to certain persons, authorities, or other agencies. I also have a sleep walking/on-line typing disorder to which there is no cure, warning this may be contagious, see your Dr. or Tuner as perscribed. I am not responsible for the content created under those conditions **
**End Notice**
Old 12-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Penderwheels

You're extremely stupid. Both in the way you treat the car and in the way you endanger decent citizens with your reckless driving.

I hope you live to see 19. I don't want to read your obit here or of those you killed.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:51 PM
doodeitstom

kcobeans, in response to your reply. I have owned 4 cars in my lifetime and I have to say I followed break in procedures for every single one according to the manual. None of them ever had problems, period. The only one I still have is the 00 Ford truck. Has over 110K on the ODO. Only maintenance I ever did was oil changes. The engine runs strong and it's not going to die anytime soon. If nissan is different then ford or honda then please let me know. Also, 350ztwinturbo, when you post something like this you should leave your age out. If your young and drive a nice vehicle then more power to ya, but if your young and you share to the world how much you beat the crap out of cars. Then, you give youngsters a bad name and that adds fuel to the debate whether teens should have high hp vehicles.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:12 AM
Acree

ok, first of all. to all the guys who spoke down to me like i'm some
lil kid who they can command, i'm paying for the damn thing so i'm going
to do what i damn well please with it. second, the reason i pushed it so
hard is because for over a year now, every single day i
have dreamed of driving this car. most of you will not understand
how much joy i get from owning this car. just because i went that
speed once, doesnt mean that it will be a daily or even monthly
occurence. and this statement may be a little ignorant... kiss my @$$

second of all, thank you to all of the guys like kcobean, and JoneZZZ.
i appreciate you guys having an open opinion and not giving me
parental guidance. thank you very much.

@explortainment, lol. good luck with that. their temp plates. and
you're in penn. have fun. and thanks for the disclaimer.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:52 AM
marhot

Originally posted by 350ZTwinTurbo
... so i'm going to do what i damn well please with it.
... this statement may be a little ignorant... kiss my @$$
Hey, good attitude, I like that in a teenager. I’m sure you’re such a joy to your parents.

Just one request: Stay out of Kansas
Old 12-30-2004, 12:28 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

You get in a car with which you are barely familar with a passenger & take it up to 140 MPH...... in a dragrace.

That is a textbook defination of "STUPID".......whether you like it or not is immaterial.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Z-Stalker

3) what is the very first mod i should get? i was thinking exhaust. suggestions?
Brain transplant.

Z-Stalker

Quick Reply: First day driving questions/comments