Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should I get a Z?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:12 PM
BMTHREE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a Z?

Im looking at getting a 350Z. I liked the Z's the day they came out. Ive been reading the posts here and the trans grinding and what not scares me. I drive a 97 328is with 95k miles which is very reliable. I would like to get an 03 Z since its in my price range. I need some advice...what do you guys think?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 PM
hypeiv

no harm in test driving. I test drove several used ones and the transmission felt different on a few of them. I ended up with the 5AT.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:22 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

5AT here too. The manual has the potential to be problematic but some will argue that it's the only way to fully experience the sports car experience. While I agree, I happen to be a shitty driver. So it's the auto for me! Get the auto and be done with it
Old 01-02-2005, 09:35 PM
shimz350z

read my siG....I'm still in love!!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 10:17 PM
hypeiv

it wasn't my intention to turn this into a 5at vs 6mt discussion.

If your on the fence about getting a stick or auto I always suggest stick. Your going to get critized alot for having an auto so make sure you want it.

But back to your question i still say go test drive a few before you buy. A few of the sticks I drove were smooth as butter and others were as smooth as chunky peanut butter.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:21 PM
SB Track

Z will seem cheap inside compared to a BMW. But much funner to drive.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:37 PM
inanabhay

beware tire feathering problem - wait to see if '05 model also has problem!

if so, rather buy something else
Old 01-02-2005, 11:55 PM
skank-a-holic

every car has its problems... there is no perfect car IMHO! I owned 2 C5 Corvettes (1998 and 2002) that had plenty of issues. You would think for the $45,000 it cost there would'nt be any or very little... but there was. All in all thats whats the warranty's for

Get the Z!
Old 01-03-2005, 01:58 AM
zzzz350zzzz

Default Re: Should I get a Z?

Originally posted by BMTHREE
Im looking at getting a 350Z. I liked the Z's the day they came out. Ive been reading the posts here and the trans grinding and what not scares me. I drive a 97 328is with 95k miles which is very reliable. I would like to get an 03 Z since its in my price range. I need some advice...what do you guys think?
If you care about performance, DO NOT get a Z.

I am not saying that Zs are slow stock, but recently I read so many threads were saying Z lost by altima, wrx, and CIVICS(modded)...WTF is up with 350z!
(Please 350z owners, anyone please make me feel better about owning a 350z)

If you care about appearance inside and outside ONLY, then Z is the car that you want! Bang for the buck!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:42 AM
bascelik

I'll add to previous post:

I you care about straight line performance, get a bigger engine, perhaps GTO.

Also, if you test drive, take a few different ones for a spin - you'd be surprised to find out as much as 15whp difference in these cars. And you can feel it!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:04 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly IMO, if you even have to ask that question, the Z is not the car for you.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:37 AM
OneFast944Turbo

Hey if you like BMW and thats what you own now, look into getting a new e46. M3 or not they are great cars...
Old 01-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Racer Z
Banned

BMW is a good car, no doubt and if you're hellbent on stickin' with that brand, get the Z4.

The 350Z has a LOT of bang for the buck, plenty of HP, looks great and is a great daily driver.

Whichever sportscar you get....Do yourself a BIG favor and get the MANUAL transmission! Automatics are for 4-door sedans, minivans, and females who can't drive a stick.

A Sportscar with a auto tranny just isn't fun to me.....
Old 01-03-2005, 05:10 PM
DBZCat

nope, don't get the Z too many now....

Oh yeah, and if you are with a female that can't drive a stick.. I'm sorry.....
Old 01-03-2005, 05:54 PM
BigMoeTaki42

The Z is a great car, but like most other cars, it has some issues. I recommend getting a stick, I daily drive my 6spd Z and I never regretted getting a stick. If you're interested in straight-line performence though, I would check out the new mustang or the GTO.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:07 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

i've never owned a manual trans car until i got the Z last week. i can say i am glad i got the stick...its very easy to drive civil....i dont think your going to be sorry if you get a Z...but if ricer-boy racing is all you care about (i.e. street racing) the Z would lose to the other cars in its class....straight line its not a beast...but overall it wins IMHO
Old 01-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Lonerider

Originally posted by HarvesterUT
i've never owned a manual trans car until i got the Z last week. i can say i am glad i got the stick...its very easy to drive civil....i dont think your going to be sorry if you get a Z...but if ricer-boy racing is all you care about (i.e. street racing) the Z would lose to the other cars in its class....straight line its not a beast...but overall it wins IMHO
I'm sorry but I'm going to stand up for the 350z. It disappoints me to read about negative perceptions of the Z's performance.Some people don't give the Z as much credit as it deserves. What other cars in our class are you talking about? New models I can think of are the Honda s2000, Audi TT, 05 Ford Mustang GT, Mazda RX-8, Porsche Boxter, BMW Z4 etc. in which the only one that may be .1-.2 sec faster would be the 05 Mustang GT and the Z4.

zzzz350zzzz , as far as the Z losing to altimas, wrx's, and modded civics; Unless the Altima was modded or a SE-R I don't see a stock Z losing to it unless the driver of the Z just couldn't drive.

Its reasonable for the Z to lose to a WRX especially if the Z is stock and the WRX is modded. The WRX is not a slow car either. I've seen 0-60 times at 5.4 for that car.

As for the modded civic, I'm betting the Z was close to stock and the civic was heavily modded? Heck, I'm sure you can make civics faster than Porsche 911's. I'm sure you can achieve this in a Z as well.

I don't think it is fair to judge a car's performance solely on street/drag racing.

BMTHREE,
I agree that you should test drive the Z. Keep your options open. There are some good competitors out there. If you were to get a Z, the warranty should take care of any problems you may enounter if any were to occur. The service may not be all that great but it varies with each dealer. carmax.com has some reasonable prices on Zs and they may even have an 04 in your price range. I've had my Z for about 1.5 months (after getting over the Subaru Sti fever ) and it is a great car. I really hadn't pushed it until recently and boy there are no complaints from me in the performance department. The car is really fun to drive and sounds awesome.

Are there faster cars out there? Sure, but this car is really well-rounded and one of a few "true" sports cars imo.

Good luck making your decision.

Last edited by Lonerider; 01-03-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
BMTHREE

The AT is out of the question. Ive only been driving manuals, more fun and doesnt get boring...I think. About the GTO, Im not that crazy about them since they are based on a car from Australia which are made on the heavy because of their roads. Im not sure about the 05's GTO's but thats a gas guzzler itself.

But anyway I going to check out this 03 Bronze 350Z. The car is tinted and also has an exhaust. Thats all I could tell since the dealer was closed.

BTW, I appreciate all the replies...thanks.