Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Crashed my Black Track 350Z. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 04:48 PM
acid burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z comes with _summer_ tires. The grip will suck when the tire is cold. A winter tire's grip will also suck when its cold, but not as much.

A summer tire's grip on ice is non-existent. A winter tire's grip on ice is a lot greater. If you swap out the summer tires your 180 spins on a slight decline will never happen again.

You should be in a higher gear when the road is slippery -- the decreased torque multiplication will mean that the tire will remain below it's coefficient of friction for slipping.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:08 AM
cotmfk

Default Re: A couple comments...

Originally posted by Them Bones
1. I think a lower gear is probably better in slippery conditions. With a high gear, small changes in throttle position = large change in vehicle speed = you will have a very hard time keeping the wheels from breaking free. In the lower gears, keep the revs up just a bit and don't make any sudden/large changes to throttle position. Pretend there is an eggshell between your foot and the gas pedal.

2. Do not put any weight in the back of the car! I've heard this mentioned a couple times. You may be able to take off a little better, but the back end will swing out in a turn and you won't be able to stop as well when just moving forward.

I wonder if the tight suspension is part of the problem - no weight transfer when accelerating or braking. I'd like to hear from people who have installed snow tires. How does it drive now?
I disagree with the first part of 1, but having no statistical proof, nor the desire to put forth the effort, I will just say that based upon my previous experiences (more than likely less than yours, since I have but 5 years of driving experience), I have found that it is easier to keep control of the car in a higher gear, only on a decline would I use a lower gear (the high engine speed would help to serve as an extra brake to slow down the car, and keep it from accelerating). (And I don't mean to be provoking or antagonistic with that, if I come off as such...) The second part, I totally agree with. You have to be as smooth as possible! I don't think that is emphasized enough when people are telling/teaching about winter driving.

I agree with you on 2.

As far as the Z is concerned, it could be the tight suspension makes it harder, due to a lack of weight transfer. That makes a lot of sense. I would also like to try the Z out in winter weather myself, though, just to see how it reacts. On that note, however, I would like to never have to do that. I hope that I can have a car to drive when the weather is not good. For now, though, I am not even lucky enough to have a Z! lol...
Old 11-18-2002, 11:54 AM
WashUJon

Default Re: Re: Crashed my Black Track 350Z. Need advice

Originally posted by Boomer
I can't help you, I'm not a body man, but I want to warn all 350Z drivers not to drive in the snow on the stock tires! Go to Tire Rack's website and read the testimonials about the RE 040s. According to an owner, they are the worst tires in the snow he's ever driven and he was driving an Audi S4/with the OE 040s and quattro all wheel drive!

The OE RE 040s are "Summer" tires only and will not handle any snow or ice period. If you run into snow or ice, get off the road ASAP and call for a flatbed from Nissan to get your car out of there, it will be undrivable. This a situation where no amount of electronic devices will help you until you change out the tires for dedicated snow or all season tires. I think Nissan should be notified about this problem with the standard tires, especially for Z owners in the snow belt.

This nothing to do with rear wheel drive, the tires have 0 traction in winter weather and I believe snow belt owners should be assisted to buy new tires since the RE 040s already had a bad reputation when they were chosen as Original Equipment. If you've visited Tire Rack lately you may notice they recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss as replacements for the Zs with 17" wheels. I was very disappointed when I found out what tires we were getting as standard equipment. This accident confirmed my fears about them and I think Nissan should be hearing from a lot of us about this failure of the O.E. tires.

Boomer
Boomer-

Can we do anything to ask Nissan to provide the new Zs up north with all-season tires? (or at least make them optional) My car is still on order, so I'd love to raise a flag on this one. I'd love it if they'd swap my tires. I'd even pay the difference, if there is any.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:47 PM
rouxeny

Just bumping this thread up because there seem to have been a few questions recently about driving the Z in the snow.

Simply said, "DON'T!"
Old 11-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Re: Crashed my Black Track 350Z. Need advice

Originally posted by WashUJon
Boomer-

Can we do anything to ask Nissan to provide the new Zs up north with all-season tires? (or at least make them optional) My car is still on order, so I'd love to raise a flag on this one. I'd love it if they'd swap my tires. I'd even pay the difference, if there is any.
Just have your dealer swap tires before the car is delivered to you when it comes in. They can get a local supplier to trade new summer tires for all seasons like the A/Ss or other brands. A couple of $100s, maybe, for the trade and mounting/balancing. I tried to get this done but my e-mail never got to my salesman, so I took the OE tires as delivered, what a mistake. A dealer should be able to treat it just like another option, dealer-installed. They would just sub it to their local tire dealer to swap them out. Check the price differences at Tire Rack or Discount Tire to compare prices so you don't get charged for a brand new set of tires and the dealer keeps your new summer tires for free.

I went to Tire Rack and checked out the Ultra High Performance category to find my sizes and prices. They have other brands available in 17s, but nothing was available for 18s then. Some may be available now. Just look them up, I haven't looked in a while.

I asked NNA the exact question you are and they told me it was up to your dealer for any changes. Should work for you, would have worked for me if I had followed up. Nissan doesn't warranty your tires, so its not an issue.