Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you love your POS PROBLEMATIC 350z???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 05:37 AM
mpol99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you love your POS PROBLEMATIC 350z???

I did a similar thread a while ago & had a few problems with the car since then, so I figured I'd do an update

It is an '03 with 17K miles, bought in Nov of '02

This is my 3rd Nissan (I am only 23). I have NEVER had a car other than Nissan. If my Z ever got totaled or stolen or whatever, I would get a second Z, no doubt! I would not get another Nissan as a daily driver though.

I love my Z & will keep it FOREVER (figuratively speaking), however the following are problems during the first 26 months of ownership & 17K miles (not daily driven for the most part):

-The car is on its 3rd transmission (2 gear grinding)
-Tire feathering allignment/free new tires at like 12K (I dont drive it enough, but im sure it will come back)
-Just had the hatch fixed (wouldnt open on first click)
-Just had rear axle clicking problem fixed after 3 VISITS TO THE DEALER!
-Just had 2 window motors replaced (1 stopped working, one was getting loud, hence it was about to stop working)
-Just had the window greasing problem fixed, supposedly (they did some adjustments)
-The seat does click/rattle during turns SOMETIMES, but not as much as before.
-Various little rattles are NOT a problem for me because I love the car & realize its a cheap sports car.

Despite all the problems, I cannot help but smile every time I walk back to my car in the parking lot or when I see another Z driving by

2+ years of ownership & I still love the car!!!

Am I the only idiot who still loves his car even after ALL these problems????

EDIT: All repairs covered under warranty.

Last edited by mpol99; 01-12-2005 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Faluzure

Hey... that 2nd gear grinding. Is it a grind like when you strip a gear or a jerk or what? Just curious.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Zexy

Oh man, i think i'd get rid of it.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:37 AM
FairladyZ

I am fortunate enough to say I have an early 03 with very little problems. All of which have been fixed with TSB's. I have one rattle in my passenger door, but not really worth dropping it off at the dealer.

If I had your POS I would get rid of it in a heart beat though.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Zcool

Nissan must have produced over 80,000 350Z's by now. I'm sure that all don't come off the line equal. Especially those with an early build date like yours. No manufacturer has 100% reliability otherwise there wouldn't be "Lemon" laws. Your experience with the 350Z, though not unique (again especially with the early model), is rare and unusual given the number of cars produced so far.

Good luck in getting all your problems sorted out.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:13 AM
MA4

I've had all the same problems except for the transmission problems.

The people who can't deal with these minor problems don't realize that when you get them fixed..they are no longer problems and the car is then perfect.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had all Toyotas and this is my first switch to any brand ever. I would have to admit that this car is a disappointment as far as build quality, but for 30K it's hard to complain. I'm used to modding the hell out of my cars, so if any problems ever surface I could probably deal with it. Modding cars and problems along the way go hand in hand
Old 01-12-2005, 08:11 AM
mdracer76
Banned

Ditto with the problems.. except when my dealer replaced my trans they seem to have got it right

Ditto on the love for the car. Even after all of these issues... I still love driving my Z, and still love to see other Z's on the road.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:14 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an awesome post..

I have had a few problems with my 04 at 6k miles:

6th gear slight grind

drivers seat shifts even after first "fix" by dealer

filling gas tank is not possible to do without babysitting it.

I still LOVE my Z
Old 01-12-2005, 08:38 AM
all_bark

I had all those problems plus a few more and I still love this freakin car.

<--------------- see sig......

other problems I have had.
1 - hatch fix does not fix problem. The replaced the struts in the hatch, the pop up mech. and I also did the $.04 fix myself. If its cold, no worky.

2- grinding rear end. when driving you can hear it during acceleration between 2500 and 3500 rpm's in second and third gear. If you are in those gears and you let off the gas and fall from 3500 or so down to 2500 you will hear it then also. It has gotten louder but they still tell me it is "normal" and not to worry! I guess the rear end needs to fall out first!

Several rattles in car. Passenger side of dash, behind passenger seat and in rear hatch area! Part of the car, I have to deal as I also am an early model owner..... purchased 10/02, vin xx3717.

I still love it though!

Last edited by all_bark; 01-12-2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:56 AM
Risk

18k miles
2nd Tranny (workin on 3rd)
Window grease
Knocking Suspension (front AND rear)
Tire noise/feathering

I still "like" it, but quite honestly, if I werent so upsidedown on my loan, I would probably trade it up for an Infinity FX. (still love Nissans, but enough is enough)
Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes
No

If you also owned a brand new L06 Vette, would you still feel the same way (about the -Z-) ??
Old 01-12-2005, 09:38 AM
zpeed350

Originally posted by all_bark
1 - hatch fix does not fix problem. The replaced the struts in the hatch, the pop up mech. and I also did the $.04 fix myself. If its cold, no worky.
The hatch fix TSB is supposed to replace the pushup springs on the trunk lid with longer ones. They are noticably longer than the ones that came with the car. If your dealer has replaced the struts and release mechanism then they haven't actually done the TSB correctly. That's were the .04 fix came from. It helps make the springs slightly longer and lets you do it yourself, but my new springs are longer than just 2 pennies wide. Just a FYI, you need the longer springs.

My Z is an early '03, low 4,000 VIN. I have the usual grease, tranny, trunk fix. Tires are fine and no rattles. Dealer got everything right on the first try. Overall I couldn't ask for better with a first model year sports car. Finally, no probs with the Z and 25,000 miles.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:05 AM
350Z_Redline

My ’03 has had way too many issues and I’m starting to hate the POS. I love the car but it’s hard to enjoy it when it’s always at the dealer getting repairs so I’ll be getting in rid of it in 2-4 months.

It’s an '03 that I bought new in 8/03. It now has 29K miles on it, although most of the problems occurred under 15Kmiles.

Problems thus far:
1. I’m on my 3rd transmission because of 2nd gear grinding.
2. Had the tire feathering/alignment TSB done twice. The first time they swapped the tires, the second time I got new front tires under warranty. It probably needs to be done again but I don’t care at this point since I’m getting rid of it.
3. Had the crank position sensor replaced last week. The POS was running in safemode and wouldn’t rev past 3k rpm. Almost got me killed a few times.
4. Had both axels replaced because of clicking.
5. Had the passenger window motor replaced.
6. Had the body control module replaced because the interior lights wouldn’t illuminate. The bastards sold me the car like this, of course I didn’t notice until the next day.
7. Did the 2 penny trick for the rear hatch opening problem. Works better than before but not perfect.
8. Had the Bose amps replaces, sucks even worse now.
9. Had the window greasing problem fixed for both windows which now causes both windows to creak whenever I hit a bump.
10. Had the driver seat tightened because of click/rattle during turns.

I’m sure I missed a few things, it’s easy to lose count with a POS like this. You guys who have little or no problems should be happy.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:05 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tacomaboy
What an awesome post..

I have had a few problems with my 04 at 6k miles:

6th gear slight grind

drivers seat shifts even after first "fix" by dealer

filling gas tank is not possible to do without babysitting it.

I still LOVE my Z
Same exact issues, grinds when shifting from 2nd at high RPM into 6th, planning on fixing the seat myself when I get the time, and filling the tank definitely takes skill. I have left without the tank full once, and had the shut off valve not turn off and spill gas on the side of the car once now. Both were in the first month of ownership though. I got the trick now. . I also still love my Z more than any of my previous Chevys and Honda.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:08 PM
bobS

NO i'm thinking of trading my 03 z in for a new evo mr......
Old 01-12-2005, 05:27 PM
MovingViolation

I like my z and all but when the warranty ends in December of 2005 this thing is gone. It has 12,000 miles on it and it already sounds like a freaking tugboat. I had a sentra spec-v before this and it was a piece of junk so I am pretty fed up with Nissan's budget automobiles. But to be fair I bought my z used and for the price there was absolutley no other sports car which could compete price wise.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:27 PM
hunter164

I don't care how many problems my Z has, and I have had most of the "usual" ones. I wouldn't even consider getting rid of it. I spent 2 hours tonight in the 42 degree rain shoveling away all the Massachusetts snow so i can take it to work with me tomorrow because it is finally going to be a decent day for the first time in a few weeks. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight. The 95 Maxima gets me where I need to go, but something is definately missing from the morning commute...
Old 01-12-2005, 05:34 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

going to be on my 4th tranny. LOVE MY Z. Will most likely get another one soon under lemon law.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:30 PM
BigMoeTaki42

I totally love my Z also, despite tire feathering, grease streaks, hatch opening problems, wind noise from driver's side b-pillar, passenger heat seater not working, and my car sounds like it's falling apart during winter! I wouldn't have it any other way though!

Quick Reply: Do you love your POS PROBLEMATIC 350z???