Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Worst speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Risk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately, the dumbest stuff that Ive been busted for, Ive been cool with the cop and it has been reduced considerably. For example, racing a brand new E500 Benz on the 91fwy at about midnight. We came up on a CHP doin about 130mph and Im the one who got popped. I was cool with him so he wrote me a ticket for "not complete stop while turning right" off of the offramp, which is BS since the light was green, but Ill take it over a 130mph ticket with a reckless on there any day.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:42 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

about three weeks after i got the Z i got a ticket going 91 in a 55. the cop said if i was going 95 i would have been arrested. he was an as$hole fhp cop. the ticket was like $275 and I would have gotten points or had to do traffic school, and i would have had an increase in insurance. but i paid a traffic lawyer $75 and had the ticket dropped, but had to pay $250 in court fees. well worth it though considering the ticket was dropped. ive been pulled over for speeding 3 other times, but gotten out of the tickets all 3 times.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:43 AM
WhyZGuy

I was caught going 104 in a 65 in my red EVO here in Cali. I plead guilty to reckless driving, got 2 points on my dmv record (the limit is 4 in CA), and had to pay $800 fine to the court. I also got 7 month suspension on my license from previous points I attained. I pay about $250 a month to insure my Z through Progressive. Definitely, go with progressive because they are the cheapest with people with bad driving records. I'm headed on the same path with my LMS Z. Not fun to think about...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:45 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have nothing else on my record so I am hoping that will help me here... but well have to see...

Insurance for me now is about 80 a month.. i REALLY hope it doesnt go up much. KNOCK ON WOOD!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Risk

Originally posted by WhyZGuy
I was caught going 104 in a 65 in my red EVO here in Cali. I plead guilty to reckless driving, got 2 points on my dmv record (the limit is 4 in CA), and had to pay $800 fine to the court. I also got 7 month suspension on my license from previous points I attained. I pay about $250 a month to insure my Z through Progressive. Definitely, go with progressive because they are the cheapest with people with bad driving records. I'm headed on the same path with my LMS Z. Not fun to think about...
+1 on Progressive...theyre the only ones who will even insure me with 2 previous suspensions. Im better now though, just have my past hangin over my head still.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:57 AM
RAR

90 in a 65 in NH… I got lucky as I was going much faster. ~$315.00 fine, I'm not sure if it’s on my record (It was not on it when I last updated my insurance, which was about 2 months after it happened). I had a Texas license (and Mass plates) when it happened, and moved to NC right after that, and changed to NC license and plates - so hopefully the government is not organized enough to have the points catch up to me. *fingers crossed*

Andrew
Old 01-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Yellow Stealth

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got caught by airplane doing an average of 115mph in a 55mph. Considered reckless driving in California, so they should have arrested me but didn't.

Instead I had to go to court 300 miles from home, got a $980 ticket reduced to $600, got a restricted license (to and from work only) for 3 months, and had to go to traffic school just because...

This added 2 points on my license, and they stayed on for 7 years instead of 3 since it was reckless driving. I lost my California good driver discount on my insurance, so my insurance went up by over 25% (!!) for 3 years.

I was in college then. I learned my lesson. I now take my cars to the track.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:09 AM
trn

55 in a 25 (7ish years ago, in a 85 carolla hatchback in NY) after i was a total dick to the cop, he was walking back to his car and started up my engine, a second later the cop was knocking on my window again, i roll it down and he writes me a loud muffler ticket "for my loud mouth." (i had a small hole rusted in my muffler)

I went to court, Armed with a repair reciept for the muffler dated from the next morning and an entire story about how i knew the road so well that i knew it was about to turn into a 55 and since the ticket was written at about 3am and i had a clean record I expected some slack.

Court date comes around and i wait around for about 2 hours in court. The entire time the judge is up there suspending peoples liscenes left and right, my turn comes and i get called back into a back room. I walk in and before i even have a chance to try out my bs story or show my reciept the prosecuter says he's gonna drop the loud muffler ticket and recuce the 55 in a 25 down to some non moving violation thats the same as getting caught doing a rolling stop through a stop sign as long as i agreed to go to a defensive driving course. I was shocked... needless to say i didn't speed at all for about a year, and don't even speed much now so i guess it worked out.

Final cost
$40 muffler repair
$100 running a stop sign ticket
$0 insurance - no points
$50 defensive driving class
Old 01-12-2005, 11:26 AM
tacomaboy

In Texas:
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
SUBCHAPTER I. MISCELLANEOUS RULES

§ 545.401. RECKLESS DRIVING; OFFENSE. (a) A person
commits an offense if the person drives a vehicle in wilful or
wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.
(b) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor
punishable by:
(1) a fine not to exceed $200;
(2) confinement in county jail for not more than 30
days; or
(3) both the fine and the confinement.
(c) Notwithstanding Section 542.001, this section applies
to:
(1) a private access way or parking area provided for a
client or patron by a business, other than a private residential
property or the property of a garage or parking lot for which a
charge is made for the storing or parking of motor vehicles; and
(2) a highway or other public place.
(d) Notwithstanding Section 542.004, this section applies
to a person, a team, or motor vehicles and other equipment engaged
in work on a highway surface.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff.

So reckless driving is basically whatever the cop wants... but since I did not get a citation for it, I am clear of that, thankfully... its only speeding. Still its a lot of speed... ugh its going to be difficult.

I cannot see in the code anywhere where it discusses at what point I can be arrested (i.e. at what speed is it ok to arrest someone?) I think they could have arrested me based upon reckless driving, but in that case, based upon the above definition, they could arrest anyone for reckless, right??!

Yeah, jail is punishment for racing, reckless and passing a school bus. but it doesnt specify goign more than 25 over, nor does my ticket mention it...
Old 01-12-2005, 11:52 AM
axxizzer

86 in a 55

damn, my insurance went through the roof!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:55 AM
D_Nyholm

Hmmm, I got a 120 in a 55 and he knocked it down to a 90 in a 55. Ended up costing $700 but no insurance increase since my wife insures my car!!!

I was just being stupid on my way home from a long BAD day at work. Yeah, i know it is a bad way to blow off steam, but there was no one on the highway...the cop was on the service road when I flew past him...
Old 01-12-2005, 12:03 PM
tacomaboy

That was me, I was headed to work, and I have a long commute, not looking forward to it blowing off some steam.

The officer who wrote the ticket asked me to give him a reason not to arrest me...

I couldnt believe that I had no answer...

I mean, what would you say?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Lerxst

I remember reading a story about a senior executive for Nokia getting a speeding ticket for approx $150,000USD. I can't remember how fast he was going, but in the Scandinavian country he was caught in, the fine is based on your income from your previous year.

Anybody else remember reading this story that can fill in the gaps?

a little off topic, but I guess my last one for $150CDN for doing 90kmh in a 60 zone isn't so bad...
Old 01-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Pat D

In Texas if you are clocked 100 or higher you can be arrested as long as there is a 2nd violation. They usually have an easy 2nd with sports cars, no front license plate (which is why most cops don't enforce the front license plate law in TX, it is a convenient 2nd violation).
Old 01-12-2005, 03:11 PM
trefittyZ

i live in dallas texas and just got a 111 in a 55 on 12/5. just for speeding, cop said maybe i should get a different car if i couldnt control my speed in this one. i got a lawyer and court was supposed to be today but the lawyer said he had another situation to take care of so the court date is getting reset. getting a speed governor and have clean history. might get by with probation and some other agreement so it doesnt get to my insurance.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Risk

Originally posted by trefittyZ
i live in dallas texas and just got a 111 in a 55...... cop said maybe i should get a different car if i couldnt control my speed in this one.
Did you tell the cop that you were doing a "very controlled 111"?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:10 PM
larochax

my bf got caught doin 120 in a 65, he was really doin about 135, but the cop car that nabbed him could only go 120 for whatever reason, so he wrote him up for 120. He had pulled him over when the bf had slowed to 75 for another cop who was already writing someone a ticket.

went to jail for a month, lost his license for 2.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:30 PM
StandAloneZ

80+ in a 30 on campus...I never drive stupid like that especially on campus, but friends make you do the dumbest things. Fortunately, the cop did not clock me and gave me a somewhat incomplete which i plead not guilty to and got it cleared up.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:15 PM
BillyJoe88

WTF...my only ticket ever was for going 65 in a 55....yeah...thats pretty lame..........
Old 01-13-2005, 04:27 AM
D_Nyholm

Originally posted by BillyJoe88
WTF...my only ticket ever was for going 65 in a 55....yeah...thats pretty lame..........
They wouldn't let you go for that??? Man, you must have talked back to him or something!!!! End of the month??

Quick Reply: Worst speeding ticket