Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Tsex On 19s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem

I am looking to get a 6speed 350Z. I am scared after reading all the transmission problems. IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS SITE THAT HASNT SEEN A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM WITH THIS CAR?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:51 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.. define transmission problem...

I have a slight grind going into 6th... but not so severe I have brought it in yet... 6000 miles.

Just maintain your car, and warranty will cover it IF something happens. I am pretty darn certain tranny problems do NOT occur on the majority of 6 speed 350Zs...
Old 01-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Tsex On 19s

I read soooo much about tranny failures in the Z, I was all hyped about this, but now I'm second guessing it. anymore guys willing to tell me the pro's instead of these transmission cons.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM
tacomaboy

The pros of the transmission?

Drive one, and youll see... its an awesome 6 speed to drive... flat out awesome.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM
dirtyelk

i have an 04 model 6pd 4,500 miles, tranny is absolutely perfect still. No problems what so ever. My friend even owns an 03 touring 6 spd. and hasn't came across any problems with the trans at all and his car has 24,000 miles. Some people just have bad luck i guess, but everything is working out fine for the both of us.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Risk

Its kind of like russian roulette.....some are tranny nightmares (like mine) and some are fine. When it first started to be an issue, Nissan was assuming that the tranny issues were coming from guys who beat their cars up. Well, after the little old lady from pasedena was on HER 3rd tranny, that kind of shot that theory down.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:12 PM
FLZ_Boy

Most likely you will not see posts stating "My Transmission is Working."

There are a few posters that have transmission problems and grinds, the only remedy they really have is visitng the dealership to have it replace (some have gone through multiple transmissions). However, they represent more of a minority part of the population of Z's running around.

Best way to check if you have grinds in your transmission is a test drive and going through all the gears at higher than normal RPMS. You might need a freeway run. However, the salesman may not like you doing such a feat.

My 05 Z is a 6-Speed. Tranny has held up with quite a few high RPM shifts and downshifts. Only gripe I have is 1-2 shift is not milky smooth (over time it might break in better) and the tranny has a grabby clutch that makes it tough to smooth out (practice!).
Old 01-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Risk

Originally posted by FLZ_Boy
Only gripe I have is 1-2 shift is not milky smooth (over time it might break in better)

Many of us have been down this same road. Most likely it will NOT smooth out. Your next symptom will be a VERY notchy 2-3 shift (kind of like hitting a wall going into third) shortly followed by trying to find/getting locked out of 4th or 5th under hard acceleration. Dont mean to bum you out, but I am burnt on the Nissan 6mt, I think its a notchy pile of junk.

(on 2nd tranny workin on 3rd.....early '03 build date)
Old 01-13-2005, 01:11 PM
NoahzBurnt

I have an '04 and yes i have the grinds and clunks associated with this car.
You need to realize two things tho:
Only people with problems are going to complain...if my car worked fine I would not jump in and defend nissan...we are all just writing these problems cause we're a strong community and want to help one another.

Secondly allow me to tell you where these problems come from....when nissan's(or who ever makes the actual gears) machine cuts the gears or sprockets the machiene needs to be recalibrated let's say every 25 times. So that means that the first one is perfect the next is 1/25 off from perfect and so on and so forth until the 25th is off enough to be the first unhappy cutomer's sprocket. This is acceptable for any manufacturer, only Nissan didn't know how many sprockets in that block of 25 would lead to problems (lets say that 11/25ths off rattle in the tranny casing). When they realize that only the first 10 or so leave people satisfied they recall and produce more...hoping that the laws of averages will soon enough make the problem dissappear.

If 15 people have this issue and they only get 10 good sprockets out of a batch. They will keep eliminating unhappy customers by replacing these parts.

Don't get me wrong I love my car but never expect any sports car to be 100% free of rattles and problems.

(i saw a guy rev his lamborghini diablo so high thet the badge came off the trunk)
Old 01-13-2005, 01:17 PM
King Tut

Originally posted by Tsex On 19s
I read soooo much about tranny failures in the Z
I have yet to see a transmission failure in the Z. I see some people get grinds in some gears and maybe lose the ability to shift into 1 gear, but no failures where they can't drive the car. Like previously said, don't let it stop you from buying it please.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:25 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally posted by Risk
Many of us have been down this same road. Most likely it will NOT smooth out. Your next symptom will be a VERY notchy 2-3 shift (kind of like hitting a wall going into third) shortly followed by trying to find/getting locked out of 4th or 5th under hard acceleration. Dont mean to bum you out, but I am burnt on the Nissan 6mt, I think its a notchy pile of junk.

(on 2nd tranny workin on 3rd.....early '03 build date)
Most of the problems your describing is what I have with my tranny. I've driven a few manuals cars in my life, but the Z made me feel like a noobie . I guess my extended warranty might pay off due to the tranny.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Tsex On 19s

Hmm well u all make very good points... I am trading my automatic tsx with some suspension problems caused by some cheap coilovers and a garbage installer for hopefully a problem free Z.. wish me luck, and if i do run into some problems, how friendly are these nissan dealers?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:16 PM
cwerdna

Originally posted by FLZ_Boy
Most likely you will not see posts stating "My Transmission is Working."
Mine has had no probs. But then again, I have the 5AT. (ducking for cover)
Old 01-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Risk

Originally posted by Tsex On 19s
Hmm well u all make very good points... I am trading my automatic tsx with some suspension problems caused by some cheap coilovers and a garbage installer for hopefully a problem free Z.. wish me luck, and if i do run into some problems, how friendly are these nissan dealers?
Just remember the honey VS vinegar addage my friend. Be nice to the dealer, present your concerns thouroghly, and they will listen. My advice though (and Im going to get burnt for this one), get the auto tranny, its a pretty cool manumatic 5 speed, and it is so far bulletproof. Sure you wont have the performance of the 6mt, but it is worth not going through the hassles either IMO.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:58 PM
___DJK___

Originally posted by Risk
My advice though (and Im going to get burnt for this one), get the auto tranny, its a pretty cool manumatic 5 speed, and it is so far bulletproof. Sure you wont have the performance of the 6mt, but it is worth not going through the hassles either IMO.
I wouldnt go that far, Im sure the auto is nice, and it doesnt appear to lose anything performance wise, but I would never give up my manual!

FLZ_Boy said it pretty well, you hear all the complaints, but you dont hear **** from the people whose trannys are working.

Its a little clunky, noisy and it grinds a little when its cold sometimes, but overall its pretty decent. Short, precise shifts and solid clutch. Dont let the tranny be the deciding factor for you and definitely dont let that force you into an auto.

Having said that, my tranny will probably fall out on the way to work tomorrow
Old 01-13-2005, 11:16 PM
350zWarz

i had mine replaced under warrenty, no problems on the new one...i think they did some kind of tranny revision because the new ones have a different number
Old 01-14-2005, 04:50 PM
WayneTN

Default My Transmission is Working

I've got 21k miles on my '03 Performance. Not one transmission problem. It shifts solid.

WayneTN
Old 01-14-2005, 05:43 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine stuck in 5th gear while racing a bike. I had to limp home. I was pissed as hell cause this shouldn't have happened to a car with 4000 miles on it.

Dealer put in a new tranny.....took em a week.

With the new tranny, you click out of each gear into neutral and then click into the next gear you want. This is the NOTCHY feel you hear everyone talking about. Click-out and Click-in.

My opinion is that this SUCKS. It makes it almost impossible to power-shift.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Tsex On 19s

Should i consider another car? cause i want to be able to beat this car up a bit.. or atleast enough to feel the power from this engine
Old 01-15-2005, 11:16 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I'm generally good to my car, broke it in, always warm it up, have 16k miles, and I've had it over 2 years. Last night I got a horrible 4th to 5th grind. Grind might be an understatement. I'm about to take it into the dealership.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem